Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Absolutely no problem wearing a mask. I'll have to do it all day at work, which is fine by me.

Unfortunately, that brings the return of the sunflower lanyard.

Amazing when you walk around a shop and there'll be a couple both not wearing masks, claiming they're exempt.

What are the odds that both of them have a medical exemtion?

Incredibly, quite low from my experience lol

And this isn't a post about people who have a genuine reason not to wear one.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Are you saying that delta wasn’t that much more transmissible than alpha ?? I think its accepted it was 50%.  I think the fact that nearly all transmission of covid is now delta makes your Ferguson bashing post a bit obvious …….it was expected ! 

At the time when initially announced, it was overstated.  This is my point.  The media runs with it and then Ferguson runs his figures which are equally as overstated and measures are put in place.

This time round the world has gone in a frenzy over one tweet from a scientist who has pointed out the many changes in this new strain.  Financially the markets take a hit, Africa becomes a no gozone, we have a reported two cases here and Bojo ends up doing his presser.  

That's quite an impressive reaction based off one tweet.  

Screenshot_20211127-182902_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

What is wrong with our press as well. Every question at that press conference was about more measures. Will Christmas be cancelled? Vaccine passports? Lockdown? They all love a bit of negativity. These press conferences cause more harm to people than good. 

• Like 3

Just now, Legend_in_blue said:

At the time when initially announced, it was overstated.  This is my point.  The media runs with it and then Ferguson runs his figures which are equally as overstated and measures are put in place.

This time round the world has gone in a frenzy over one tweet from a scientist who has pointed out the many changes in this new strain.  Financially the markets take a hit, Africa becomes a no gozone, we have a reported two cases here and Bojo ends up doing his presser.  

So you think today’s response from govt is about a tweet from a scientist?  

if so, I won’t bother reading any of your posts - at the moment I do read them because it’s unreasonable of me not to. 

I think the response today is very measured - if you’d listened to the presser then whitty and vallance explained what the issues could be pretty well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adam said:

What is wrong with our press as well. Every question at that press conference was about more measures. Will Christmas be cancelled? Vaccine passports? Lockdown? They all love a bit of negativity. These press conferences cause more harm to people than good. 

It's the media.

They want a headline.

If Boris or the scientists guarantee no further measures or lockdown, they have a future headline for going back on promises. 

Reporting sensibly doesn't sell.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Can you please get this into your head, any SAGE projections are based on trends at the time. They are not predictions, and don’t pretend to be. 

Each projection released with this wording in great big red letters to help the idiots. “These projections are based on current trends and will not fully reflect the impact of policy or behavioural changes over the past two to three weeks. They are not forecasts or predictions.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

I tend to find most elderly and older people still wear them in shops.

Mind you sometimes it's half way down their chin or they take it off to lick their fingers|!

Yeah the elderly wear masks to protect the young people who don't wear masks... so I'm told 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, adam said:

I think what he is saying is that ferguson has never been correct with his modeling. 

You know they release more than one projection don’t you, with multiple scenarios. The issue here, is that people only look at the worst case scenario, ignore the others and then say they were wrong, when in fact some of the others are damn close to what has or is happening.

14 minutes ago, adam said:

Bad new sells. Simple as that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So you think today’s response from govt is about a tweet from a scientist?  

if so, I won’t bother reading any of your posts - at the moment I do read them because it’s unreasonable of me not to. 

I think the response today is very measured - if you’d listened to the presser then whitty and vallance explained what the issues could be pretty well. 

If the information is never put out there in the first place, the govt response does not happen.

The response isn't directly based off the tweet obviously, the wheels were put in motion a few days ago.

This is a reaction, to be seen doing something is far more important than not doing anything at all.

Heneghan would point to an evidence base at this point.  Germany?  With medical grade masks, cases are doing what exactly?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yeah the elderly wear masks to protect the young people who don't wear masks... so I'm told 😂

They wear them when they're alone in their own car, or alone walking down the street. I bet they wear them in their own bed at night. But always leaving their nose uncovered.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If the information is never put out there in the first place, the govt response does not happen.

The response isn't directly based off the tweet obviously, the wheels were put in motion a few days ago.

This is a reaction, to be seen doing something is far more important than not doing anything at all.

Heneghan would point to an evidence base at this point.  Germany?  With medical grade masks, cases are doing what exactly?

What on earth are you talking about, there are teams of people around the world tracking, sequencing and providing data to governments about variants. If you think this is based off a tweet you are out of your mind.

As for masks, once again, nobody has ever said they are a cure all stop everything solution. They categorically are not, but if the scientists are happy there is a benefit, even if it’s small, then it can make a  difference.

You don’t seem capable of grasping that you can’t actually measure the cases a mask has stopped in Germany can you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Otis said:

Bad new sells. Simple as that.

Slightly off topic, but I remember when there was a house fire in Leicester quite a few years ago now, I believe it turned out to be some sort of temple, maybe for Hare Krishna? 

Sky had live helicopter footage, Kay Burley was sensationalising it, speculating how many people were dead. 

They must have spent 2 hours watching this live footage.

Then, an announcement from East Midlands Ambulance..."Fortunately, there are no injuries and no persons unaccounted for, the fire brigade have the situation under control."

The cameras immediately cut from the scene and the story wasn't given another second of airtime lol

If ain't ain't bad news, it ain't worth covering.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Slightly off topic, but I remember when there was a house fire in Leicester quite a few years ago now, I believe it turned out to be some sort of temple, maybe for Hare Krishna? 

Sky had live helicopter footage, Kay Burley was sensationalising it, speculating how many people were dead. 

They must have spent 2 hours watching this live footage.

Then, an announcement from East Midlands Ambulance..."Fortunately, there are no injuries and no persons unaccounted for, the fire brigade have the situation under control."

The cameras immediately cut from the scene and the story wasn't given another second of airtime lol

If ain't ain't bad news, it ain't worth covering.

“Man drives to work safely without incident”.

”Teens settle dispute amicably and don’t stab each other”.

”Police arrest nobody on quiet night in town”

• Like 1