Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, adam said:

I'm not promoting anything. Just don't think that the pieces of cloth people are wearing make any difference. 

So you're saying we shouldn't wear them, but I refer to my earlier post about as we don't know either way for sure, then surely the safest option is to wear one anyway. So the best option, effective or not is to wear one.

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

If you don't wear a mask because you don't want to and its easy to say you're exempt, you're a ****. And incredibly irresponsible.

I don't like this disregard though that some people have for folk that genuinely might not like/get distressed having to wear masks. I've read this time and time again and can be just as ignorant and belittling as those who disregard all the rules and antivaxx etc.

The way I see it, if people are comfortable wearing masks then do that and especially when being now asked to do so and no longer discretionary. Those that choose not to, either through physical medical ailments or because it effects their mental welfare then again no problem. People mind their own business and be happy doing what they consider the right thing for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Otis said:

JVT himself said in the video masks have no benefit.

It's been debatable if masks are beneficial or not.

Put it this way, thay don't do any harm.

Some have the view that their liberties are taken away by having to wear a mask.

Try having your liberties taken away, it's not nice. And it's nothing like just having to wear a face mask.

The people who refuse to wear masks will be the first to kick off if another lockdown happens.

Can everyone not just do something to try and help?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't like this disregard though that some people have for folk that genuinely might not like/get distressed having to wear masks. I've read this time and time again and can be just as ignorant and belittling as those who disregard all the rules and antivaxx etc.

The way I see it, if people are comfortable wearing masks then do that and especially when being now asked to do so and no longer discretionary. Those that choose not to, either through physical medical ailments or because it effects their mental welfare then again no problem. People mind their own business and be happy doing what they consider the right thing for them.

Ric, I've got no problem with that, in fact I fully support it.

But there are people who blatantly lie and say they have exemption.

That's just wrong.

• Like 4

Just now, tom27111 said:

Ric, I've got no problem with that, in fact I fully support it.

But there are people who blatantly lie and say they have exemption.

That's just wrong.

Yeah and that's what's infuriating but sums up life in general doesn't it. 

Will be interesting to see how much co-operation there is this time around.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, adam said:

I'm a div because I'm following the rules. You keep wearing that bit of cloth if it makes you feel safe. 

In fairness, wearing a mask is not about protecting the wearer but protecting other people around the wearer. It's a selfless act done for others. This has been communicated from the very beginning.

It's about reducing the spread in case you happen to have Covid but don't know about it because you aren't experiencing symptoms (say because you're young and generally healthy).

Quite why some (and I'm not saying you personally) get worked up about people trying to do other people a favour, I don't know.

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Yeah and that's what's infuriating but sums up life in general doesn't it. 

Will be interesting to see how much co-operation there is this time around.

I've said since the start of Covid that it's all about trust.

You go out somewhere, you're trusting a stranger isn't risking going out with symptoms.

You're trusting someone with a cough that they've been tested.

You go to a big football match, you're trusting the fan behind you he's tested negative and isn't just there because he didn't want to miss out.

Unfortunately, we know a lot of people aren't trustworthy. 

If you're able to, wear a mask. 

Just be bloody sensible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Are the shops shutting then?  Hadn’t seen that …..

Shuttling whole sector’s down will be last resort territory I’d imagine.If in three weeks the new variant is found to be more harmful and more rigid restrictions come into place then I pity Mr Sunak.Tesco still running their No stopping ad campaign,which I thought at the time was quite brave and maybe a bit misguided.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

The problem is that these numbers aren't actually terribly helpful.  OK, if you have covid and you sneeze directly into someone's face from 18 inches away, you're going to infect him.  But is wearing a mask while sneezing into his face, the only possible solution?  What are the figures if you don't wear a mask but turn away from the other bloke and sneeze into a handkerchief?  Or in the other supposedly best option, sneeze onto your coat sleeve?

1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

Shuttling whole sector’s down will be last resort territory I’d imagine.If in three weeks the new variant is found to be more harmful and more rigid restrictions come into place then I pity Mr Sunak.Tesco still running their No stopping ad campaign,which I thought at the time was quite brave and maybe a bit misguided.

I thought Tesco were tempting fate when I saw that ad!

Can't see another national lockdown coming, maybe localised ones as a last resort.

The country can't afford another furlough scheme.

Hopefully vaccination is enough to get us through.

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

If Covid particles get expelled and disseminated when we cough does the same happen when we break wind ? If so I guess your pants and trousers perform the function of a mask but a bit risky if you’re holidaying in a nudist colony. 

Are you proposing masks for your arsehole?

I'm in.

Let's take it to Dragons Den lol

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Sly said:

If wearing a mask saves one life; it’s a morale responsibility to us all to wear one in my eyes. 

We were too lenient with people the first time unfortunately, so I expect a large proportion of people won’t care and just carry on like COVID is a historical challenge. It might even take an extreme measure of locking down like Lockdown one and not leaving the house for anything more than exercise to get people to engage their brains a bit more. 

That's extremely high minded and idealistic of you.  Do you put it into practice yourself?  Presumably you have it in mind that we should all wear masks for evermore, because even if covid goes away, flu isn't going to.  But what about driving?  Do we have a moral responsibility to give up driving if ot will save one life?  What about alcohol - if alcohol was abolished it would save more than one life.  Do we have a moral responsibility to give up alcohol?  How about schools.  Children go to school and catch thnigs from each other, and some of them die.  Or football - the excitement of football is too much for some fans and they die.  The moral responsibility needs to be tempered with practicality and enjoyment of life.

I think the problem is that some people (not necessarily yourself) have too high an ambition.  It is actually impossible to save lives; all we can do is to delay death.  No matter what we do, the death rate will remain, as it always has been, at 1 per person.  So if a way of saving lives is proposed that will make 67 million people less happy but will extend the life of 1 - do we have the moral duty to do it?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Are you proposing masks for your arsehole?

I'm in.

Let's take it to Dragons Den lol

Yes. I thought it might be the next big thing. Could be charcoal infused to take the edge off any pungent expulsions thereby serving a dual purpose. Let’s get our business plan together for the Den ! 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

Yes. I thought it might be the next big thing. Could be charcoal infused to take the edge off any pungent expulsions thereby serving a dual purpose. Let’s get our business plan together for the Den ! 

I'm thinking scented.

A whiff of rosemary, whilst protecting lives?

Peter Jones can have 5% for 2 million.

We're clearing up lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm thinking scented.

A whiff of rosemary, whilst protecting lives?

Peter Jones can have 5% for 2 million.

We're clearing up lol

Here’s a pic of the prototype I’ve been working on 

464DFB49-4DB8-4FCA-A4B8-8B4CAD7B42CE.thumb.jpeg.cb4aae8823129a0e032abd178e5d24eb.jpeg

I wanted to go green but unfortunately cabbage leaves don’t appear to be a robust enough material for the product. Back to the drawing board. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Here’s a pic of the prototype I’ve been working on 

464DFB49-4DB8-4FCA-A4B8-8B4CAD7B42CE.thumb.jpeg.cb4aae8823129a0e032abd178e5d24eb.jpeg

I wanted to go green but unfortunately cabbage leaves don’t appear to be a robust enough material for the product. Back to the drawing board. 

I've just registered a patent.

Call me lol

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

You could throw in Sureguard protection for a small and reasonable additional fee 

Mate, you know I sell cars for a living and make more commission for add ons, right? lol

Way ahead of you.

Premium scents: £199

Follow through protection: £199

:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Are the shops shutting then?  Hadn’t seen that …..

Don't you think that fear alone will drive people to order online? I've heard plenty of people saying they'll do all their Christmas shopping online again this year. 

Also wouldn't be surprised if they did close them. A few European countries have. 

11 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Don't you think that fear alone will drive people to order online? I've heard plenty of people saying they'll do all their Christmas shopping online again this year. 

Also wouldn't be surprised if they did close them. A few European countries have. 

Doubtful that shops will shut, but the last 2 years have definitely speeded up the online side of things.

Just be nice to your Amazon driver!

I know how hard it is first hand. They're getting busier and under pressure. 

Edited by tom27111

30 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

If the hospitalisation rate stays roughly the same then I don’t think the general public will be put off going out and about.Though of course as has been said,the last two years have pushed online business along A LOT.

Remember that if the shops shut down then in all likelihood that means that most of the service industry will have aswell.The amount of previously profit making,debt free small businesses that are now struggling is eye watering.

A couple of observations on the events of today:

Firstly, *if* the Omicron variant does indeed prove to be more transmissible but less virulent, then we will be finally approaching the end of this crisis. At some point, based on history of past epidemics, this was always going to happen - mutation into a form best suited for propagation is always the end goal of a novel virus and being easily transmissible while leaving your host healthy enough to get around is exactly that. As such, provided Omicron becomes the dominant strain, the thing will end up becoming like any other sometimes nasty but manageable condition.

Secondly, the amount of people on here and out in the world who are more scared of what humans can do to one another than what nature can do to them is truly staggering. Perhaps "privileged" is a dirty word these days but I can't think of another for folks who simply never consider how tenuous our grasp on this planet and civilisation really is and that natural events like viruses are far more dangerous to that civilisation than any crazed dictator or authoritarian government could ever dream of being. To use an example, malaria, by itself, took between twice and three times as many lives in the 20th Century as all the wars in that century combined.

Luck and a lot of hard work keep those natural dangers at bay, and far too many take the status quo for granted because they don't see the work going on.

I really hope such attitudes don't come back to bite us if the next crisis is rather more deadly. Or if they do, those who are left learn from them - and specifically, what and who was responsible.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2