Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 hours ago, Otis said:

But that’s juts not true, I mean all these AWAKE people are so quick to call people sheep but then just blindly ****ing repeat anything others say.

The original thought processes was based around behavioural studies, how people would act when asked to wear masks, if they’d do it, do it properly and so on. There was also the considerations of there not being enough high standard PPE for professionals if the entire country scrambles to get it.

Back when masks were first introduced all the anti everything cranks loved to throw around either danish or Swedish study that proved masks were ineffective. Problem is the silly ****ers hadn’t actually read it properly and it DID show a small benefit, it also was only testing the benefit of the wearer and not others from the wearer with Covid.

Funnily enough, I juts tried to find it and this article on the BMJ is saying exactly what I am. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586

It highlights the absolute lunacy of the awake bridge who preach “doing own research” When they siding even bother clicking on the actual study and just parroted what some idiot of Twitter said.

Then you have all the other trials that have take. Place since https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes and I agree the government were wrong to demonise mask wearing by the public and said so at the time. Governments should stick to the truth or lose their credibility. It was a bit of a dodgy situation though back then though. If they had admitted that the truth was that there simply weren’t enough masks for everyone (as now seems likely to have been the case), there would have been even more panic buying, and even less for front line workers.

The point is that this woman is totally misrepresenting the quotes in her tweet for propaganda purposes, and should be ignored.

I think WHO didn’t recommend masks either, so the government were following their line. BUT… as I said that was based on a small behavioural study done pre pandemic and not based on the effectiveness of masks themselves, during a pandemic when people are a bit scared and it turned out generally did follow the rules, whilst also used lots of hand sanitizer etc.

One of the main points in the behavioural study was people would fidget with their masks and transfer virus that way, but they weren’t combining it with hand washing, anti bac etc.

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's extremely high minded and idealistic of you.  Do you put it into practice yourself?  Presumably you have it in mind that we should all wear masks for evermore, because even if covid goes away, flu isn't going to.  But what about driving?  Do we have a moral responsibility to give up driving if ot will save one life?  What about alcohol - if alcohol was abolished it would save more than one life.  Do we have a moral responsibility to give up alcohol?  How about schools.  Children go to school and catch thnigs from each other, and some of them die.  Or football - the excitement of football is too much for some fans and they die.  The moral responsibility needs to be tempered with practicality and enjoyment of life.

I think the problem is that some people (not necessarily yourself) have too high an ambition.  It is actually impossible to save lives; all we can do is to delay death.  No matter what we do, the death rate will remain, as it always has been, at 1 per person.  So if a way of saving lives is proposed that will make 67 million people less happy but will extend the life of 1 - do we have the moral duty to do it?

I’ve always continued to wear a mask. I’ve found depending where I am in the country, the tendency to wear them does differ though. 

The difference between wearing a mask and driving, education etc is that it’s hardly a major upheaval in your life to do so (in my opinion). 

Yesterday, with the early morning snow, I saw someone tightly wrapped in a scarf, covering all but their eyes. They normally refuse to wear a mask due to finding them uncomfortable and difficult to breath through. What’s the difference? 

Ultimately we’re all dying from the day we’re born, the actions which we take along the way just delay said outcome. You need some rate of infection actually, to enhance immune systems.

It’s about the choices we make and largely acting responsibly whilst doing so. Some are better than others and everyone of us has a different morale compass. 

8 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Yes. I thought it might be the next big thing. Could be charcoal infused to take the edge off any pungent expulsions thereby serving a dual purpose. Let’s get our business plan together for the Den ! 

There are already masks for arseholes, they just refuse to wear them.

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Doubtful that shops will shut, but the last 2 years have definitely speeded up the online side of things.

Just be nice to your Amazon driver!

I know how hard it is first hand. They're getting busier and under pressure. 

Absolutely.

You'll need him to tell you which neighbour's wheelie bin he put your parcel in...

• Haha 2

Off to Lanzerote on the 19th back on the 26th. New covid returning home rules have buggered up me going to the Liverpool match which I'll take as thems the rules.

But having to quarantine until I get Day 2 results back is a pisser. Can't see them processing them quickly over this period, I have work on the 2nd Jan which I have no choice but to go.

5 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Off to Lanzerote on the 19th back on the 26th. New covid returning home rules have buggered up me going to the Liverpool match which I'll take as thems the rules.

But having to quarantine until I get Day 2 results back is a pisser. Can't see them processing them quickly over this period, I have work on the 2nd Jan which I have no choice but to go.

These rules are apparently only for three weeks (or until they get data on vaccine efficacy against it) 

• Thanks 1

I work in educational settings and I wear a mask all the time. I see it as a way of reducing risk, not stopping it, but any reduction in transmission is good surely? Does it bother me? no not really. I’m asthmatic and still wear one. 

Most of the debates I see is around how much it works. But surely any barrier is better than none, even if it is a small difference - it’s still a difference? I agree there are certain situations, or specific reasons for not wearing a mask (medical for example), but if it is just to “stick one up against the establishment” then I don’t see that as a valid reason.

With regards to the new mutation of covid, from what I’ve read it is less symptomatic, spreading yes, but not as dangerous. One doctor is South Africa said they have seen unusual symptoms in people, but when they get to investigate the patient is feeling better a couple of days later. If true (and in no way as I’m saying that as fact as I’m beyond knowing what to believe these days), this has to be seen as a good sign?

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I work in educational settings and I wear a mask all the time. I see it as a way of reducing risk, not stopping it, but any reduction in transmission is good surely? Does it bother me? no not really. I’m asthmatic and still wear one. 

Most of the debates I see is around how much it works. But surely any barrier is better than none, even if it is a small difference - it’s still a difference? I agree there are certain situations, or specific reasons for not wearing a mask (medical for example), but if it is just to “stick one up against the establishment” then I don’t see that as a valid reason.

With regards to the new mutation of covid, from what I’ve read it is less symptomatic, spreading yes, but not as dangerous. One doctor is South Africa said they have seen unusual symptoms in people, but when they get to investigate the patient is feeling better a couple of days later. If true, this has to be seen as a good sign?

If it is true, than as per above it is both a good sign and possibly the beginning of the end of this whole damn thing.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

But that’s juts not true, I mean all these AWAKE people are so quick to call people sheep but then just blindly ****ing repeat anything others say.

The original thought processes was based around behavioural studies, how people would act when asked to wear masks, if they’d do it, do it properly and so on. There was also the considerations of there not being enough high standard PPE for professionals if the entire country scrambles to get it.

Back when masks were first introduced all the anti everything cranks loved to throw around either danish or Swedish study that proved masks were ineffective. Problem is the silly ****ers hadn’t actually read it properly and it DID show a small benefit, it also was only testing the benefit of the wearer and not others from the wearer with Covid.

Funnily enough, I juts tried to find it and this article on the BMJ is saying exactly what I am. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586

It highlights the absolute lunacy of the awake bridge who preach “doing own research” When they siding even bother clicking on the actual study and just parroted what some idiot of Twitter said.

Then you have all the other trials that have take. Place since https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

Then you have former SAGE advisor to the government Dr Colin Axon saying “The best thing you can say about any mask,” he concludes, “is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured”.

So much conflicting evidence. 

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't like this disregard though that some people have for folk that genuinely might not like/get distressed having to wear masks.

I don't doubt that a very small amount of people genuinely suffer anxiety wearing a mask. I would bet a lot of money that these people suffer anxiety about lots of other stuff in life (including COVID's existence) and are probably not proud of the fact they don't wear a mask or have anti-mask sentiments

• Like 1

Positive PCR. Covid jail under 7th December. 

Everything I’ve had so far is a heavy cold (the type you’d normally work with it). Minor cough. Occasional headache. Sneezes. Woke up this morning feeling a lot fresher after a good nights sleep. Human body combine with science is incredible  

2 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Then you have former SAGE advisor to the government Dr Colin Axon saying “The best thing you can say about any mask,” he concludes, “is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured”.

So much conflicting evidence. 

But if a surgeon were to open you up, I'm fairly sure you'd want to know he was wearing one?

As I've said before, it's the same thing over and over and over again dredged up by the same few that are terrified of any hint of further restrictions or impingement on their personal lives. They then immediately mobilise on here as I predicted they would on Friday, deploying an arsenal of confirmation bias usually culled from a drip fed twitter account. Social media steers you towards what you want to hear based upon your preconceptions and preferences. Anything challenging this is filtered out. A search engine will return whatever the user wants to hear.

Regarding masks...and we go yet again, SARS-CoV-19 is largely spread via aerosols not fomites. Indoors, the very fine droplets and particles will continue to spread through the air in the room or space, can accumulate and are sufficiently small to enable them to remain suspended in the air for a prolonged period. We don't know precisely how long but laboratory tests have indicated this may be several hours. In a poorly ventilated area or closed room then it makes perfect sense to wear a facemask, particularly if sharing that space or if someone has occupied it before you. It's not rocket science - it's life science. A poorly improvised piece of cloth as an afterthought simply to satisfy a regulation isn't going to achieve anything. A properly fitted N95 respirator/surgical mask is purposefully designed to protect the wearer and others from particles contaminating the face, and actually, I've worn one for years when cycling in central London - why wouldn't you in any urban environment given the dangers of harmful airborne particulate?

I say "and others"...it's another thing these people don't get. In terms of the current pandemic, my own motivation for wearing a mask when around people in an indoor environment is to offer some degree of protection for them, not me. If I can reduce the chances of transmitting this to an elderly person in Sainsbury's or visiting my parents who are in their eighties, which an N95 mask unquestionably will, then this is not even a matter for debate. 

Interesting hypothesis that Coronavirus is mutating so much in Africa because it is finding HIV AIDS positive hosts to infect and essentially replicate at will for long periods.

Also, on Andrew Marr now, South African scientist saying Omicron symptoms are overwhelmingly mild. Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

Well that worked out well in Scotland Wales France Italy Austria Germany.... didn't it.  

As has been pointed out, it's a highly misleading graphic.

As has also been pointed out, infections may have been significantly higher in these countries in the absence of facemasks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

From this morning's update in South Africa, we're bringing back in masks for a strain that presents very mild symptoms.  Tiredness and a few aches and pains.  Politely put, a huge overreaction on Marr this morning.  

It's simply a precautionary measure. What's the issue? Restrictions are designed to buy time. If she was expressing grave concern about the severity of symptoms you wouldn't even be posting right now - or you'd be claiming that its hyperbole. 

We simply don't know enough about Omicron yet given the nasty cocktail of mutations it contains. If the symptoms are mild, which may very well be the case, but much more virulent than previous strains, then as has already been highlighted on here, this could be our way out of this crisis. 

Also, even if it is benign, the emergence of this highly infectious variant shows that contrary to the claims on a football forum that "coronavirus was over months ago", while infections remain high globally, we will always vulnerable to further mutations. How many more times does this need to be said? 

• Like 1