Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Hopefully this means less people will be attending away games so I can build my points up easier as the tickets will get to the lower categories.

Always look on the bright side of life :sweating:

Not necessarily - we then get smashed by Villa, Man City and Liverpool in the League Cup. :whistle:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Then Burnley away will definitely make it to my category after those results :whistle:

My fondest memory of Turd Moore was during the great escape when Matt Taylor missed a penalty and Vardy immediately scored at the other end. 

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

I work in educational settings and I wear a mask all the time. I see it as a way of reducing risk, not stopping it, but any reduction in transmission is good surely? Does it bother me? no not really. I’m asthmatic and still wear one. 

Most of the debates I see is around how much it works. But surely any barrier is better than none, even if it is a small difference - it’s still a difference? I agree there are certain situations, or specific reasons for not wearing a mask (medical for example), but if it is just to “stick one up against the establishment” then I don’t see that as a valid reason.

With regards to the new mutation of covid, from what I’ve read it is less symptomatic, spreading yes, but not as dangerous. One doctor is South Africa said they have seen unusual symptoms in people, but when they get to investigate the patient is feeling better a couple of days later. If true (and in no way as I’m saying that as fact as I’m beyond knowing what to believe these days), this has to be seen as a good sign?

I remember this being mentioned as a potential outcome very early in the Covid crisis - that mutations could yield dominant variants that are more highly infectious but much less lethal.

If that is true of the new Omicron variant (big IF), then presumably Omicron might become the dominant variant within a few weeks/months. In that case, we might see a big surge in infection figures closely followed by a decline in the number of those hospitalised or dying? :fc:

A massive caveat on that, though: we don't yet know how mild or deadly Omicron might be as we only have limited data. Another point raised on Marr was that S. Africa is a country with a very young population - so what is mild to a young population there might not be so mild to a much older UK population, particularly those with co-morbidities of health, obesity etc.

Be pragmatically cautious and we'll hopefully know more within a few weeks is the way to go, I suppose....

Do any of the scientists on here know what the likely long-term scenario is, if this scenario plays out? Does Covid persist long-term as an endemic illness that only has minor impact for most people apart from the highly vulnerable or very unlucky (like flu)? Or is there still a chance that a highly infectious AND highly lethal variant could emerge from further mutations to Omicron? :dunno:

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I remember this being mentioned as a potential outcome very early in the Covid crisis - that mutations could yield dominant variants that are more highly infectious but much less lethal.

If that is true of the new Omicron variant (big IF), then presumably Omicron might become the dominant variant within a few weeks/months. In that case, we might see a big surge in infection figures closely followed by a decline in the number of those hospitalised or dying? :fc:

A massive caveat on that, though: we don't yet know how mild or deadly Omicron might be as we only have limited data. Another point raised on Marr was that S. Africa is a country with a very young population - so what is mild to a young population there might not be so mild to a much older UK population, particularly those with co-morbidities of health, obesity etc.

Be pragmatically cautious and we'll hopefully know more within a few weeks is the way to go, I suppose....

Do any of the scientists on here know what the likely long-term scenario is, if this scenario plays out? Does Covid persist long-term as an endemic illness that only has minor impact for most people apart from the highly vulnerable or very unlucky (like flu)? Or is there still a chance that a highly infectious AND highly lethal variant could emerge from further mutations to Omicron? :dunno:

Judging from pandemic history, once a virus mutates to become more transmissible, then it does outcompete all other variants. Being less deadly is part and parcel of that - a host in bed or dead is not going to help the virus propagate. The Kansas (not Spanish) Flu of 1918 petered out largely because of a similar act of mutation.

So I would say, as an educated guess, no, if Omicron does prove to be less deadly, I doubt that a more deadly variant would then arise to outcompete it (though disclaimer: all things are possible).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Then you have former SAGE advisor to the government Dr Colin Axon saying “The best thing you can say about any mask,” he concludes, “is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured”.

So much conflicting evidence. 

Well I’m glad an aerospace engineering lecturer with physics degrees and without an ounce of relevant experience in virology etc and was tasked with advising on ventilation in supermarkets has told us what he thinks… 

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

This already has the feel of an over reaction. Hopefully it will be. But the 3 horsemen of the apocalypse couldn't wait to mount their podiums.

Typical foxestalk comment, there must be 800 pages in this thread slating under reaction

Edited by BKLFox

Well that worked out well in Scotland Wales France Italy Austria Germany.... didn't it.  

I mean, I’m wasting my time because it’s like trying to talk to a bunch of three year olds. But masks are not there to stop Covid, nobody has proclaimed it is going to stop it. It’s one small contribution to the slowing of the spread. 

One person wearing a mask and it stopping them passing it on to one person, even if it’s a 1% chance, can slow things down considering how many other people that person could infect. 

Pointing at other countries and saying it’s not working there is such a basically stupid thing to say, because the benefit is nigh on unmeasurable, you don’t see the people it’s not infected. That’s why they do trials to show it does.

AB79C682-E29E-4978-BD8C-9243FB922DF8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This already has the feel of an over reaction. Hopefully it will be. But the 3 horsemen of the apocalypse couldn't wait to mount their podiums.

Did you even listen to what was said? They urged for calm and consistently stated that any measures are purely precautionary. 

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It will be interesting to see the measure of compliance re: masks in shops.  It took a while for the majority of mask wearers to become the minority when they became voluntary.  

Agree. Irrespective of how you feel about mandatory masks, I really feel for those in retail that bear the brunt of it and in some cases have to enforce the wearing of them. I heard some horrendous accounts of abuse during the last run of restrictions. 

16 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Agree. Irrespective of how you feel about mandatory masks, I really feel for those in retail that bear the brunt of it and in some cases have to enforce the wearing of them. I heard some horrendous accounts of abuse during the last run of restrictions. 

We agree?  Is this a wind up?  lol

Fair play.  Enjoy this afternoon's game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Outside all the inevitable bickering and as @leicsmac pointed out, super-infectious mild Covid could potentially be a game-changer in a very positive way. Hopefully this is the case.

That would be the ideal scenario. On the other hand, Delta responds very well to our vaccines and there is a danger that although less severe in terms of symptoms, a more resistant strain becomes the dominant one. On the optimistic front, another possibility is that far from being the terrifying prospect that some have suggested, the presence of so many mutations which are always prone to error, may in fact destabilise and weaken the virus. Again, this is speculation and it is too early to tell. 

• Like 1