Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

I’m watching the snooker at the barbican in york. Hundreds of people sat indoors cheek to jowell. Not a muzzle in sight. So how does that work. Don’t say they have to double vaxed and/or provide proof of negative test. Because, as I’m often reminded, you can still transmit the virus asymptomatically or whilst double vaxed. If ever there is a case for masking up, it’s there. 

Yes, but you’re not allowed to cough at the snooker

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

so many of the UK population. 

Farrington Fox

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Funny thing is, you’ll go through the windscreen whether you hit another car head on or a wall or even a tree. Your muzzle is nothing but a badge of compliance in this scenario. 

Seatbelts prevent this happening. You've just made a case against your own point of view. Unbelievable. You have not made a single reasoned, provable, logical point in your arguments against. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I'm gonna say this is all one big push to up the vaccine booster numbers, nothing else. Masks required in supermarkets and public transport because they know people have to use them either way, if they made them a requirement in pubs, restaurants or any other social place, the visitors would dwindle and the economy would take another hit.

Gonna be some arguments on here come Tuesday between the masked and the unmasked, popcorn at the ready :jump:

4 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Your muzzle is nothing but a badge of compliance in this scenario. 

you need to be careful because using language like this is showing what you’re really about 

ITS NOT A FOOKING MUZZLE YOU PRAT.  

anyway, the comments from s Africa about over reaction are relevant but rather misplaced in respect of the northern hemisphere who are in now into winter. 

we will not know for weeks and possibly months how virulent omicron is. But we are certainly expecting it to be more transmissible. 

whilst we have to wait to find out about virulence, we cannot just allow it to let rip through the population inc the double jabbed majority and vulnerable.  Even if it is a mild experience, widespread infections will hamstring the economy with masses of people isolating. That’s what I think is behind the early efforts to slow its spread - try to keep its spread low this side of Xmas and hopefully by the time we get into the holiday period we will have some more data from parts of the world where it’s spreading to know if we can indeed relax a little. 

in the meantime I’ll cope with wearing my face nappy - it’s such an awfully difficult thing to do but I think I’m up to it. 

I’d love to know what some of you would have been like in the trenches ….thank goodness we won’t have to rely on you for our future security because I’m pretty sure if you can’t manage to wear a face covering you wouldnt be much good in a real emergency….

• Like 2

We're off to Portugal for ten days on Thursday, and I've read we will need to show our vaccine certificates to eat and drink out. Bars also require a negative test even if you're vaccinated. Masks are also mandatory everywhere indoors again. 

Thankfully we're driving so don't need to do a test to get into Portugal, but people arriving by air, even if fully vaccinated, do. 

Unvaccinated people are really going to have their freedoms outside of the UK reduced it seems, at least in the short term. 

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

I mean, I’m wasting my time because it’s like trying to talk to a bunch of three year olds. But masks are not there to stop Covid, nobody has proclaimed it is going to stop it. It’s one small contribution to the slowing of the spread. 

One person wearing a mask and it stopping them passing it on to one person, even if it’s a 1% chance, can slow things down considering how many other people that person could infect. 

Pointing at other countries and saying it’s not working there is such a basically stupid thing to say, because the benefit is nigh on unmeasurable, you don’t see the people it’s not infected. That’s why they do trials to show it does.

AB79C682-E29E-4978-BD8C-9243FB922DF8.jpeg

Germany has had medical standard masks since July and cases have risen like billy-oh. We have abandoned even our flimsy £2 for 20 masks and cases have been steady. It doesn't prove anything about the effectiveness of masks, but it certainly gives very good reason to wonder if they make more than a negligible difference. 

Are there any stats from secondary schools? Scotland's pupils have been wearing face masks all term. English pupils haven't. Other variables are surely as close as different populations can be. The difference in covid numbers between Scottish and English secondary schools should be the best guide we have to the effectiveness of masks. 

I’ve done enough Twitter doomscrolling this evening to think it’s probably going to be ok? I feel like there’s a bit of fear of the unknown however there was clearly a MASSIVE outbreak in the Jo’burg/Pretoria area (probably uni students) which has made everything look worse than it is. Not saying it’s going to be grand but in a worse case scenario, we’ll still have vaccination to protect from most severe cases, new anti viral drugs which are being rolled out and incredible levels of speed of investigation in Omicron. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’ve done enough Twitter doomscrolling this evening to think it’s probably going to be ok? I feel like there’s a bit of fear of the unknown however there was clearly a MASSIVE outbreak in the Jo’burg/Pretoria area (probably uni students) which has made everything look worse than it is. Not saying it’s going to be grand but in a worse case scenario, we’ll still have vaccination to protect from most severe cases, new anti viral drugs which are being rolled out and incredible levels of speed of investigation in Omicron. 

I think someone’s telling porkies. Sky reporting a 3rd positive case is no longer in the country after travelling back to South Africa. How’s that work then?

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Germany has had medical standard masks since July and cases have risen like billy-oh. We have abandoned even our flimsy £2 for 20 masks and cases have been steady. It doesn't prove anything about the effectiveness of masks, but it certainly gives very good reason to wonder if they make more than a negligible difference. 

Are there any stats from secondary schools? Scotland's pupils have been wearing face masks all term. English pupils haven't. Other variables are surely as close as different populations can be. The difference in covid numbers between Scottish and English secondary schools should be the best guide we have to the effectiveness of masks. 

No, the best guide we have are the trials.

11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're off to Portugal for ten days on Thursday, and I've read we will need to show our vaccine certificates to eat and drink out. Bars also require a negative test even if you're vaccinated. Masks are also mandatory everywhere indoors again. 

Thankfully we're driving so don't need to do a test to get into Portugal, but people arriving by air, even if fully vaccinated, do. 

Unvaccinated people are really going to have their freedoms outside of the UK reduced it seems, at least in the short term. 

I was in Portugal last week - not sure if rules have changed subsequently - but I didn’t have to show a vax certificate (unlike Germany the week before, where you must show it at very venue). Mask wearing in both countries seemed close to 100% from what I saw 

So my other half is quite ill at home with Covid and having a tough time with it , I got a test yesterday and it came back negative this morning. 
Psychologically this is weird for me to know the best thing to do as I’m now surrounded by Covid and sleeping with it in my house but I supposedly should carry on as normal and how on earth have I know contracted it ? 
working from home today which in reality is not good for me as my job is hands on as well as office based so trying to work out best thing to do this week

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

you need to be careful because using language like this is showing what you’re really about 

ITS NOT A FOOKING MUZZLE YOU PRAT.  

I’ve heard them called many things other than what they are, including muzzle,face nappy and so on. If you are offended by someone on a forum referring to mask as a muzzle. I’d suggest you’re the prat. 

• Sad 1

I'm compliant with mask wearing but I'm beginning to question the point when it's only partially imposed.

What's the point in imposing it in supermarkets but not in the workplace environment? I'd suggest that the chances of transmission are greater by far in an office than it is in the supermarket.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

So my other half is quite ill at home with Covid and having a tough time with it , I got a test yesterday and it came back negative this morning. 
Psychologically this is weird for me to know the best thing to do as I’m now surrounded by Covid and sleeping with it in my house but I supposedly should carry on as normal and how on earth have I know contracted it ? 
working from home today which in reality is not good for me as my job is hands on as well as office based so trying to work out best thing to do this week

I'm not having a pop at you personally fella, but it's this need for clarification on rules by the public sends me crazy. 

I'm the most relaxed unconcerned person possible about covid, but if I was in a house full of it, I'd stay at home for a good 10 days regardless of tests or rules or govt guidance

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

It’s pretty common. That said, I have known many people that had someone test positive, others in the household have had symptoms at the same time and tested negative.

Hope your other half feels better soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I'm compliant with mask wearing but I'm beginning to question the point when it's only partially imposed.

What's the point in imposing it in supermarkets but not in the workplace environment? I'd suggest that the chances of transmission are greater by far in an office than it is in the supermarket.

Beginning?!!!! 

The whole caboodle has been a joke since day 1. Like mask wearing on a plane, unless you are having a cuppa. Then, obvs, it's entirely safe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

It’s precautionary at the moment 

I guess (apt for supermarkets) ‘every little helps’ !

if they become more concerned then masks in the workplace will come in, especially in situations where you’re up close (like queues in the canteen)

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s pretty common. That said, I have known many people that had someone test positive, others in the household have had symptoms at the same time and tested negative.

Hope your other half feels better soon.

Ok thanks just feels weird to have it so close after months of mask wearing then it’s in your house and you don’t get it , only theory I have is that my immune system got rid of it before I got ill. 
I was pretty ill after the first vaccine so maybe that was a good thing I’m thinking now. 
my other half is constantly in pain with it at the moment but hopefully over the worst