Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

32 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I supported the very first lockdown, as it was all new and I was genuinely concerned maybe even afraid. As for whether it saves lives and reduces health care burden. Looking at where we are now as a result of 1 or 2 further lockdowns, no. Millions on waiting lists for other things. God knows how many undiagnosed cancers and other diseases. Deaths at home and that’s before you start on mental illness. They cause nothing but destruction in my opinion. For godsake, we need to start living normally again. 

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately, as has been repeatedly mentioned this is not about "opinion" on a football forum. It's probable that as much as 20,000 lives could have been saved had the first lockdown been effected just one week earlier. Sober reading published the summer following the first lockdown:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2405-7

A separate study by University of California analysed the impact of lockdowns in China, South Korea, Iran, France and the US. Their report, also in Nature, found lockdown prevented 530 million infections in those countries. Just before lockdowns were introduced, they said cases were doubling every two days.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2404-8

Do you have any comprehension of what the death toll would have been in India when Delta became rampant had lockdown not been imposed? 

Have you considered the death toll and the impact on healthcare services in the UK this time last year and early 2021 had lockdown not been introduced? Waiting lists? Our entire health service would have been overwhelmed to the point of complete collapse. Have you ever actually spoken to a frontline healthcare worker? 

Look no further the reckless and cavalier attitude of Jair Bolsonaro who also held the populist view that he was "vehemently opposed lockdown", the consequences for Brazilians, including a disproportionate number of indigenous citizens and the current congressional report which seeks to indict him for crimes against humanity. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I used the word ‘probably’ maybe I should have said,possibly. You’re right, I don’t know. But I am entitled to have a view, dismiss if you wish. 

As I belong to a group of very vulnerable individuals, I have a large degree of anger at your lack of compassion and your stubborn attitude when, even in this thread, people have pointed you to the best empirical evidence we have.

I, however, have compassion.

I sincerely wish you all the best and just hope you, and others like you, manage a way out of the fish bowl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

The measures you describe in Spain sound absolutely horrendous and completely ott. I don’t think governments are involved necessarily in a conspiracy, more of an agenda, probably associated with the net zero green movement. 

By encouraging the population to wear masks which are often single use and take single use tests mostly made of plastics? 

I’m afraid I’m out on this one.

• Like 3

@jgtuk I respect your opinion. And as I said, I’m sorry if my posts have offended you or anyone else. I’d just add I am also in a vulnerable group, having RA with cardio vascular issues and take a daily cocktail of medications which include 2 immuno suppressants.I can’t help the way I feel. Which is to end mandated restrictions. 

• Sad 1

Well I would argue this pandemic and the issues of variants give them a good excuse to reimpose restrictions. Look at this one, as yet there is no evidence at all that it’s worse than delta, but let’s put the mask mandate back in just in case. That move, I suspect was to appease those screaming for plan b. As in ‘we have to be seen to be doing something’. Can I ask you. Why do you believe millions of people have protested in many Countries around the world against these restrictions on our lives. Police even using live rounds against them in Rotterdam. Or do you believe they’re all conspiracy therory nutters. These government policies have destroyed and ruined far more lives than this virus ever will. 

For F sake millions have died around the world from this virus,  get some prospective.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

@jgtuk I respect your opinion. And as I said, I’m sorry if my posts have offended you or anyone else. I’d just add I am also in a vulnerable group, having RA with cardio vascular issues and take a daily cocktail of medications which include 2 immuno suppressants.I can’t help the way I feel. Which is to end mandated restrictions. 

When someone says"i respect your opinion", it really means. You are talking sh1t mate!!!

Carry on...I'll get my popcorn...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Thanks.

I'll respect your opinion when you return with real evidence that backs up your convictions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think perhaps we're talking past each other here, but allow me to restate:

I think that if world governments were going to pick a conspiracy to increase or maintain their level of control, then a more human based boogeyman would serve the purpose just fine (it did so post September 11th after all), so why take the extra risk, complexity and loss of control by using an object of nature that might easily spin beyond your control instead?

It doesn't make any sense that an entity interested in increased control would use an object that they can't control as a means to achieve that end. This virus, like any other part of nature, could turn on them as easily as those they seek to control.

So yes, I think anyone buying the conspiracy angle on this, no matter how many there are,  haven't thought it through to a logical conclusion. Or if there is a conspiracy, the folks involved haven't thought it through because they are tampering with a power they can't possibly hope to control.

I don't like the idea of how much disruption this has caused as much as you don't like it, but at the end of the day, as I've said repeatedly, a virus doesn't care what we want or don't want.

I cannot state this strongly enough, for the benefit of yourself and anyone else on here: *The virus is the enemy here.*

NB. Global average temperature increase is an empirical fact and one we must address. "Net zero" is part of that, unless you're OK with the idea of global upheaval that would make this virus look like a pleasant day at the seaside.

@Farrington fox If you have time and wouldn't mind, please.

52 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

@Line-X but look at Sweden, they went light touch, no formal lockdown. Yet they’ve fared no worse than anywhere else, and better than some. Yes I know they tightened things up last winter, but right now they’re living normally. 

Absolute arrant nonsense - and the standard prescriptive default reply which has been debunked innumerable times and discussed in great detail in this thread previously. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, danny. said:

I find this concerning, not much to go on though - would be helpful if they published the full study 

I think this chap has become infamous for his misinformation. I saw one of his videos promoting ivermectin and the website ivmmeta which has been debunked for using untrustworthy data! 

(see https://ebm.bmj.com/content/early/2021/05/26/bmjebm-2021-111678 )

The media running with the threat that £200 fines will be dished out for failure to wear a mask and yet a) you don't legally need to wear one and b) you don't have to prove you are exempt so even if a) were true, it cannot then be enforced so what's the bastard point of making such threats? Pedalling more fear and upset no doubt.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I think this chap has become infamous for his misinformation. I saw one of his videos promoting ivermectin and the website ivmmeta which has been debunked for using untrustworthy data! 

(see https://ebm.bmj.com/content/early/2021/05/26/bmjebm-2021-111678 )

His previous videos are testament to that and he's also been featured on Talk Radio, which is all you need to know really. Another appeal to authority featuring the obligatory opportunistic scaremongering You Tube quack. Mike Yeadon Mk.II. 

I find it hilarious that the same group of people on here continually bleat about MSM manufacturing and feeding off fear, hysteria and outrage when that's precisely what their social media sources rely on to engage and generate hits.

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 3

@Line-X but look at Sweden, they went light touch, no formal lockdown. Yet they’ve fared no worse than anywhere else, and better than some. Yes I know they tightened things up last winter, but right now they’re living normally. 

It's been a while since this was discussed here, but if I remember correctly I think the gist was, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that the Swedish population pretty much social distance by nature anyway, and they were intelligent enough to restrict themselves without having restrictions mandated for them. 

Much of the rest of Europe, protesters aside, seem on the whole to not only go along with the mandatory restrictions, but also to carry them on even after they are no longer law. (See anectodal evidence from many of us in the EU) I genuinely can't understand why you wouldn't wear a mask, even if 'in your opinion' they don't make a difference. What if all the science is right, and they do? 

I find it truly sad, too, that with your health condition you don't want to take the chance that the science is correct, but even if you don't care about yourself, you would potentially be looking after those of us who do want to grow old. My health, and that of others, don't care for your opinion. We do ask that you respect us though, and wear your mask. Just in case your opinion is incorrect. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Absolute arrant nonsense - and the standard prescriptive default reply which has been debunked innumerable times and discussed in great detail in this thread previously. 

You have an entrenched position on this subject. There is nothing untrue in my post re Sweden. My son inlaw travels there with work quite often. He has returned from there this weekend, having spent the week working at a Facebook data centre. The locals were telling him the Swedish government approach has been light throughout the pandemic, compared with the rest of Europe. But anyway you’ll be pleased to know I’ve had enough of arguing this. We’ll never find common ground so what’s the point. Unless people come round to your way of thinking, evidenced or not you’ll demiss them. So this is my last post. Cheers. 

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

His previous videos are testament to that and he's also been featured on Talk Radio, which is all you need to know really. Another appeal to authority featuring the obligatory opportunistic scaremongering You Tube quack. Mike Yeadon Mk.II. 

I find it hilarious that the same group of people on here continually bleat about MSM manufacturing and feeding off fear, hysteria and outrage when that's precisely what their social media sources rely on to engage and generate hits.

I've tried previously to find out who this bloke is, and can find nothing other than that he's a retired nurse that used to train other nurses.

He may be light on qualifications and have little appetite for having any research published anywhere, but he's heavy on YouTube viewers so I have absolutely no idea what his motivations could be

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The media running with the threat that £200 fines will be dished out for failure to wear a mask and yet a) you don't legally need to wear one and b) you don't have to prove you are exempt so even if a) were true, it cannot then be enforced so what's the bastard point of making such threats? Pedalling more fear and upset no doubt.

Purely to push more people to wear them.

It makes me laugh that we're still seeing the same arguments on here almost 2 years later btw lol

• Like 1