Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

28 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Apparently the Co-op and Iceland aren’t going to enforce the mask wearing rule.

Probably don’t want the hassle of having to tell people  to wear one or abuse from customers at such a busy time trade wise .

Yep. Staff also aren’t allowed to wear branded masks or masks that have “sports team logos” on them lol 

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Don’t give up. Change your GP. I’ve had a few I didn’t get on with but changed and found a fantastic one. Sadly she is another contemplating retirement due to burn out. 

I had one great one years ago but he retired (also due to burnout, maybe you can't afford to give a shit about people and not burn yourself out?). 90% of the GPs I have had are just pointless, I am sure they just do it for the money.

Edited by danny.

3 minutes ago, danny. said:

I had one great one years ago but he retired (also due to burnout, maybe you can't afford to give a shit about people and not burn yourself out?). 90% of the GPs I have had are just pointless, I am sure they just do it for the money.

I'm sure there are far easier ways to earn that amount of money. I'm in awe of most doctors, working unbelievably long hours under difficult conditions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I'm sure there are far easier ways to earn that amount of money. I'm in awe of most doctors, working unbelievably long hours under difficult conditions.

Average pay is ~£100k, not many jobs pay that. Average hours according to this (https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/workload/gp-working-hours-decreased-before-pandemic-hit-finds-official-workload-audit/) is around 40/week which is pretty standard for any full time job. Many GPs work part time as the pay and pension is still fantastic for 3 days a week. 

Doctors as a whole is another matter, my experience with hospital staff is on the other end of the scale compared to GPs (yes I know GPs are doctors too), they are overwhelmingly brilliant, and paid far less than GPs (as low as £25k for a Junior Doctor :( )

Edited by danny.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, danny. said:

Average pay is ~£100k, not many jobs pay that. 

Not many jobs take 5-7 years of training and ongoing training for life. Agreed that it's a large wage but to me it's deserved. I am biased as I have a very good friend who is a GP and I know hard he works. He is doing 10- 16 hours a day and has been throughout the pandemic. He earns around 85,000

Edited by jgtuk
addition
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Not many jobs take 5-7 years of training and ongoing training for life. Agreed that it's a large wage but to me it's deserved. I am biased as I have a very good friend who is a GP and I know hard he works. He is doing 10- 16 hours a day and has been throughout the pandemic. He earns around 85,000

Wait for someone to counterattack with examples of shopworkers, manufacturing personnel, delivery drivers etc all also having to have worked during the pandemic  and doing long hours...

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I'm not saying it's not a suitable salary, but it's a much higher than average salary and some people will be doing the job for the money, and not because they care about people.

It's certainly a high amount of initial training (although similar to an architect or engineer). Many jobs require ongoing training for life. I'm not sure my GPs have signed up for the ongoing training!

1 minute ago, danny. said:

I'm not saying it's not a suitable salary, but it's a much higher than average salary and some people will be doing the job for the money, and not because they care about people.

It's certainly a high amount of initial training (although similar to an architect or engineer). Many jobs require ongoing training for life. I'm not sure my GPs have signed up for the ongoing training!

Surely there's a large proportion of the population who do their jobs just for the money, I'm not sure you can single out GPs as a whole and I'm pretty sure all GPs have to have ongoing training to a degree.

As an addendum, I also believe the average wage in the UK is pitiful. I live in North Wales where the local average is very low.

24 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Most 'professional' jobs that require post degree qualifications take that long if not longer. This would include Engineers, Architects, Accountants etc etc.

Likewise in those lesser careers, you would need to be pulling 10 hour plus days and be in a position of responsibility to be earning £85k.

For my mind, being a GP isn't a bad career and its reasonably numerated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Surely there's a large proportion of the population who do their jobs just for the money, I'm not sure you can single out GPs as a whole and I'm pretty sure all GPs have to have ongoing training to a degree.

As an addendum, I also believe the average wage in the UK is pitiful. I live in North Wales where the local average is very low.

Totally, but it's more important for a job where you are looking after people. If you don't care about people then you probably aren't going to do a good job.

23 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And so the booster vaccination free-for-all begins.

The infrastructure is not in place as it was back in June and there just doesn't seem to be the capacity to deal with it.  Got to wait another 3 and a half weeks!

Can’t you just roll up to a walk-in centre and take a gamble on the queue?

2 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Possibly.  That's a decent way of describing how a free-for-all looks in practice lol

It all seems mass panic to me.  Mass panic.  

Back in May/June I remember being parked up in one line of at least 10 waiting to be waved round to the car park at the racecourse.

Now we're expecting everyone to book en masse?  Mass panic.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Possibly.  That's a decent way of describing how a free-for-all looks in practice lol

Back in May/June I remember being parked up in one line of at least 10 waiting to be waved round to the car park at the racecourse.

All about timing.Go late on a freezing wet early evening.Or just wait a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Unfortunately, that's what the British public are prone to doing. No different at the pump or the supermarket shelves. A crisis of confidence. 

Purely for my own amusement, can you say "mass panic" again? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Line-X said:

Unfortunately, that's what the British public are prone to doing. No different at the pump or the supermarket shelves. A crisis of confidence. 

Purely for my own amusement, can you say "mass panic" again? 

lol

I think this one is on the government not the public.  They encourage mass panic.  Mass panic I tell you.  

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The government booking site is in meltdown and those who are now eligible are still being told they are not.  

Further government incompetence.  Useless.  

No different to a festival ticket hotline 😂

Give it a day or two and it'll hopefully calm down.  I'm not sure why you expected it to run smoothly with this sh5tshow of a government running it.

1 hour ago, kenny said:

Most 'professional' jobs that require post degree qualifications take that long if not longer. This would include Engineers, Architects, Accountants etc etc.

Likewise in those lesser careers, you would need to be pulling 10 hour plus days and be in a position of responsibility to be earning £85k.

For my mind, being a GP isn't a bad career and its reasonably numerated.

With respect, he was comparing to average wage earners. I merely suggested that it was relatively normal for those types of professions to earn a higher wage but normally involved years of training and long working hours. 

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

53 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

All about timing.Go late on a freezing wet early evening.Or just wait a few weeks.

Well I picked the right day to book my booster 

today became a walk in free for all - any age and three months + apparently (although the lady on the desk was telling people 5 months)

of course all the signs said ‘wait in your car until your appt time’

so me being naive waited until my allotted time and found myself 25th in a freezing queue. I’m just so compliant with my muzzle on …..

the guy behind me kicked up a bit of a fuss - tbh, when I found out his appt time was half an hour after mine a realised he was a nob! 

• Like 1