Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

12 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

With respect, he was comparing to average wage earners. I merely suggested that it was relatively normal for those types of professions to earn a higher wage but normally involved years of training and long working hours. 

My point is the training is similar as are the stresses, but the renumeration is typically higher with better benefits than you get in the private sector. 

That's before you start talking about the GPs that own the surgeries. They really really rake it in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm a little confused.  I thought you had to wait 6 months until you can book the booster.  On the NHS site it states 5 months, but others are saying anyone can book it now.

I had my 2nd jab on the 12th July, can I book my booster?

thanks.

Initially you could book your appointment 5 months after your 2nd jab but the appointment date had to be at least 6 months after your 2nd jab.

For example, you had your 2nd jab on 1st April. You could book your booster appointment on the 1st September but your jab appointment could be no sooner than 1st October.

However, today they said anyone can get a booster as long as at least 3 months have passed since the 2nd jab. Although don't think the NHS booking system allows that yet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The government booking site is in meltdown and those who are now eligible are still being told they are not.  

Further government incompetence.  Useless.  

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

No different to a festival ticket hotline 😂

Give it a day or two and it'll hopefully calm down.  I'm not sure why you expected it to run smoothly with this sh5tshow of a government running it.

Check the number / link your using as you seem to think your calling the Tory hotline and not the NHS 

6 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Oh, you mean the NHS which is so chronically underfunded/mismanaged by this sh5tshow of a government then.

I see the NHS also falls into the same phenomenon as our formations and manager, do  good it’s a back 3 and the players that won it but do bad and it’s a back 5 and the managers fault.

So,been feeling a bit rough after my booster jab on Saturday morning,slept all day on Sunday(missing the match) and missed work today...had a innova home test done tonite and turns out i'm positive...going to get an NHS test done tommorow. 

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Oh, you mean the NHS which is so chronically underfunded/mismanaged by this sh5tshow of a government then.

You like most have just rolled that out without much thought you just see/hear that the NHS is on its arse and then just blame the government, have you ever looked further into it?

The NHS is a juggernaut that just keeps rolling and swallowing funds at a ridiculous rate and will continue to regardless of which ever party is at the wheel.

Do you have any idea how many employees it has? Well it’s 1.7m that makes it the 8th largest employer in The World, the only employers above them are The US, Chinese and Russian military’s, the Chinese rail and security services & then Walmart and McDonalds to give you an idea for here in the UK the British Forces combined is only 150k personnel, the thing is bloody massive, which always makes me chuckle, well angry actually, when people say pay them what they deserve, now I’m not saying don’t give pay rises but it’s a comment said without any thought of how much money is required across the board to provide the numbers people believe they should get.

That brings us on to its funding, It consumes half of the entire government budget, if we had to chuck more into it your now eating into another sectors funding & how do you decide that as every sector will say they are underfunded.

It then has all the charity funding it receives but it’s still just munches though it, it doesn’t matter how much you give it, it will eat it.

So apart from the obvious wages it has to produce every month for its 1.7m staff

The issues I see are it’s contracts and yes most will be blinded by the recent covid free for alls which yes totally wrong for Tory MPs championing contracts to mates but these are a drop in the ocean in the big scheme.
I’m talking about catering, laundry, cleaning, land rents, utilities, mechanical (keeping the fleet of ambulances on the road), consultant fees, bau medicines which now add Vape’s to ffs and all the other mundane contracts that keep this juggernaut rolling.

Its these that need looking at and it’s not a quick fix as every contract needs looking at.
I bet there are some that are still running in high values from when they were set up in the boom years & never been reviewed to bring them online with todays rates, there will be contracts where companies have gone under but cash is still rolling out into the abyss, there will be multiple contracts that are being paid over the odds for because in general everyone takes the piss out of the NHS as they see it as a cash cow.

Yet same old comment, Government underfunding is to blame!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You like most have just rolled that out without much thought you just see/hear that the NHS is on its arse and then just blame the government, have you ever looked further into it?

The NHS is a juggernaut that just keeps rolling and swallowing funds at a ridiculous rate and will continue to regardless of which ever party is at the wheel.

Do you have any idea how many employees it has? Well it’s 1.7m that makes it the 8th largest employer in The World, the only employers above them are The US, Chinese and Russian military’s, the Chinese rail and security services & then Walmart and McDonalds to give you an idea for here in the UK the British Forces combined is only 150k personnel, the thing is bloody massive, which always makes me chuckle, well angry actually, when people say pay them what they deserve, now I’m not saying don’t give pay rises but it’s a comment said without any thought of how much money is required across the board to provide the numbers people believe they should get.

That brings us on to its funding, It consumes half of the entire government budget, if we had to chuck more into it your now eating into another sectors funding & how do you decide that as every sector will say they are underfunded.

It then has all the charity funding it receives but it’s still just munches though it, it doesn’t matter how much you give it, it will eat it.

So apart from the obvious wages it has to produce every month for its 1.7m staff

The issues I see are it’s contracts and yes most will be blinded by the recent covid free for alls which yes totally wrong for Tory MPs championing contracts to mates but these are a drop in the ocean in the big scheme.
I’m talking about catering, laundry, cleaning, land rents, utilities, mechanical (keeping the fleet of ambulances on the road), consultant fees, bau medicines which now add Vape’s to ffs and all the other mundane contracts that keep this juggernaut rolling.

Its these that need looking at and it’s not a quick fix as every contract needs looking at.
I bet there are some that are still running in high values from when they were set up in the boom years & never been reviewed to bring them online with todays rates, there will be contracts where companies have gone under but cash is still rolling out into the abyss, there will be multiple contracts that are being paid over the odds for because in general everyone takes the piss out of the NHS as they see it as a cash cow.

👏🏻
You missed the bit in my comment which said mismanagement. 
Apart from that we’re sort of in agreement. 

The more you start to think through this travel rule change, it’s an absolute waste of time gimmick. 

It will assist finding out it people have imported the new variant but do very little stopping transmission than may have otherwise occurred with a lateral flow. 

The likelyhood is that if you are positive with COVID, you will have gone through various closed spaced areas before you can even think about starting self isolation from your home or hotel. 

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've tried previously to find out who this bloke is, and can find nothing other than that he's a retired nurse that used to train other nurses.

He may be light on qualifications and have little appetite for having any research published anywhere, but he's heavy on YouTube viewers so I have absolutely no idea what his motivations could be

Actually John Campbell has provided a generally good narrative through the pandemic of what’s going on and about some of the science. Certainly hasn’t seemed like a conspiracy theorist, but rather someone who genuinely wants to help people understand, and is generally very mainstream. Characterising him as a conspiracy theorist is harsh and in my view completely unfounded and wrong. He is nothing like those fvckwits on talk radio, and doesn’t claim to be an authority himself, simply using his skills as an educator to review the available science.

He has become interested in the Ivermectin issue, which does seem to have become rather political due to its promotion by Trump and others on the libertarian right, and now it appears that mentioning it Is regarded as proof of being a conspiracy theorist which seems a bit silly. I certainly don’t think this is the case here, though I haven’t followed his thinking on it in any detail. It’s much more likely that he has innocently stumbled into an issue that has become highly politicised.

I would much rather that politics was simply kept out of science altogether, and that ideas were reviewed on their merits. I have no idea if Ivermectin has any effect as a treatment for Covid 19 or not and if it’s been conclusively found through reputable trials to be no use then it can be dismissed. But mentioning it should not be proof of anything in and of itself.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

25 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

👏🏻
You missed the bit in my comment which said mismanagement. 
Apart from that we’re sort of in agreement. 

Not to sound boring but your still implying the day to day management of the juggernaut is done by Javid sat in his office with multiple screens over seeing every ward in every health facility when in reality it’s managed by ordinary people like you and me.
These people need to be picking up and challenging these legacy contracts whilst managing the funding but it’s just to big and will take years and years and in reality probably needs a reset but that’s not feasible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm a little confused.  I thought you had to wait 6 months until you can book the booster.  On the NHS site it states 5 months, but others are saying anyone can book it now.

I had my 2nd jab on the 12th July, can I book my booster?

thanks.

The date you book for needs to be at least 182 days after your 2nd shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Government underfunding is to blame!

Well that, and Turgid Admin-organisation. Oh & individual managers playing politics.

10 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The government booking site is in meltdown and those who are now eligible are still being told they are not.  

Further government incompetence.  Useless.  

They said the booking portal would be updated in the next 3 days. This takes time.

So I had Covid one month ago. I’m debating holding off on my booster until the new year as I should have a natural booster from that infection, right? Hedging my bets on how to keep a consistent immune response for a longer period of time.

1 hour ago, phoneticerror said:

They said the booking portal would be updated in the next 3 days. This takes time.

So I had Covid one month ago. I’m debating holding off on my booster until the new year as I should have a natural booster from that infection, right? Hedging my bets on how to keep a consistent immune response for a longer period of time.

Sounds sensible to me 

you can’t have a jab within a month of infection in any case so you’re only delaying a month or so - if you had a notable experience of the infection then you could even leave it longer 

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sounds sensible to me 

you can’t have a jab within a month of infection in any case so you’re only delaying a month or so - if you had a notable experience of the infection then you could even leave it longer 

Mild infection really. The cold I had two weeks later was a lot worse.

I had to isolate until 5th November, so I’m close to the one month mark. 

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I just can’t identify with the people that are refusing the vaccine. We’ve been jabbing people for almost a whole year now so it should be clear as day how many of those have had negative side effects compared to those that have died or had long term effects from the virus.

I saw some numpty on the LCFC Facebook page a few weeks ago arguing about how it’s unacceptable for the Premier League to demand that all adults must be jabbed with ‘poison’ to get into the match. I mean, how do you even debate with a person like that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

"In the age of social media, we don’t even need to have met the people we trust as much as established experts. “That’s why social media is so dangerous,” says Stafford. “Because people share that emotional connection with influencers they might never have met. But it’s an asymmetrical intimacy. I may think I know that vlogger and they are talking to me. But really they’re talking to millions of people – and the advertisers generating them their revenue.”

“The best thing that people can do is realise that social media platforms are fundamentally unsafe environments to gain facts about a pandemic that might kill you,” says Imran Ahmed, the CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate. “Social media contains vast amounts of misinformation that mingles seamlessly with good information. The misinformation might kill you.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It makes me laugh that we're still seeing the same arguments on here almost 2 years later btw lol

That's because the same horseshit keeps getting mindlessly regurgitated. "Facemasks are pointless", "lockdown doesn't work...you only have to look at Sweden", "Covid-19 is no worse than the flu", "Covid-19 was all over months ago".

Spouting social media bullshit and parroting agenda driven populist confirmation bias is not making an "argument" and refuting it is not an argument either. There is no "argument"

What do you suggest when confronted with such dangerous levels of anti-science and ignorance?...agree with it? 

I suggest you read the article that Wigston Wanderer posted today. 

Edited by Line-X

2 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

I'm in the same position (COVID in mid/late October).

I was originally going to wait until January for a booster but think I'll likely try and book one in for mid December now when the booking portal opens given what has changed. 

There isn't really any consensus around when to get a booster if you've had COVID after 2 jabs. UK advice is just as soon as you are eligible (so 28 days after infection) but like you, I'd thought to delay.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

So here's a question: my daughter probably has it (just waiting for the result of pcr, but ltfs were all positive), she's at home with me, I'm currently negative, but I have my booster booked for Friday. Should I still go for the booster?

Probably best not to mate. If you go and get the booster, it won’t kick in quick enough to help you if your daughter has it, but you could potentially infect many people on your journey.

Edited by phoneticerror

9 minutes ago, martyn said:

I'm in the same position (COVID in mid/late October).

I was originally going to wait until January for a booster but think I'll likely try and book one in for mid December now when the booking portal opens given what has changed. 

There isn't really any consensus around when to get a booster if you've had COVID after 2 jabs. UK advice is just as soon as you are eligible (so 28 days after infection) but like you, I'd thought to delay.

It’s a tricky one

20 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

So here's a question: my daughter probably has it (just waiting for the result of pcr, but ltfs were all positive), she's at home with me, I'm currently negative, but I have my booster booked for Friday. Should I still go for the booster?

If that was me I’d be isolating with my daughter and household for 10 days or whatever it is. 

edited - your to my lol

Edited by Trumpet