Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That's because the same horseshit keeps getting mindlessly regurgitated. "Facemasks are pointless", "lockdown doesn't work...you only have to look at Sweden", "Covid-19 is no worse than the flu", "Covid-19 was all over months ago".

Spouting social media bullshit and parroting agenda driven populist confirmation bias is not making an "argument" and refuting it is not an argument either. There is no "argument"

What do you suggest when confronted with such dangerous levels of anti-science and ignorance?...agree with it? 

I suggest you read the article that Wigston Wanderer posted today. 

I've read that article, it is indeed very sad. I do wish that there was an actual stat that said exactly how many 42 year old fit young men have died from Covid. I don't think that is too much to ask. Btw I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'd honestly just like to know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That's because the same horseshit keeps getting mindlessly regurgitated. "Facemasks are pointless", "lockdown doesn't work...you only have to look at Sweden", "Covid-19 is no worse than the flu", "Covid-19 was all over months ago".

Spouting social media bullshit and parroting agenda driven populist confirmation bias is not making an "argument" and refuting it is not an argument either. There is no "argument"

What do you suggest when confronted with such dangerous levels of anti-science and ignorance?...agree with it? 

The most common one is “a virus that has a survival rate of 99.7%”.

Let’s hope those that are “fit and healthy” 

a) don’t become ill during the pandemic and move into the at risk category 

b) have relatives that are in the at risk category

c) have relatives that require treatment that is currently unavailable due to covid

d) are unlucky enough to be made critically ill regardless of their current good health status

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

So here's a question: my daughter probably has it (just waiting for the result of pcr, but ltfs were all positive), she's at home with me, I'm currently negative, but I have my booster booked for Friday. Should I still go for the booster?

Suggest you ring NHS direct rather than get the opinion of a football forum.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

The most common one is “a virus that has a survival rate of 99.7%”.

Let’s hope those that are “fit and healthy” 

a) don’t become ill during the pandemic and move into the at risk category 

b) have relatives that are in the at risk category

c) have relatives that require treatment that is currently unavailable due to covid

d) are unlucky enough to be made critically ill regardless of their current good health status

I still can't get over how blase the public have become over the thousands of deaths each month in the UK alone.

My latest having tested positive on 17th November.(50 year old asian,  fit and healthy(relatively)and double vaccinated)

1st week was like hell. No energy, coughing non stop, dizziness, aching all over. Loss of appetite, loss of taste.

Basically asleep or coughing.

2nd week. 

Affected my chest and ended up with a chest infection, probably due to my asthma too. Increased my inhalers, still lack of energy and breathlessness. Aching receding.

Missed all the home games so it MUST have been bad!!!!

This week.

I'm still off sock from work, but signs of improvement  ATLAST.

Decent nights sleep now as the antibiotics take affect. Just my shoulders ache, which is weird. Took the lad to school which is a 10 minute walk yesterday  and was exhausted. I'm going to take this week to get some level of fitness back increasing the walking every day if I can before I go back work on Monday.

It's not been nice. I dont want it again.

1 minute ago, Raj said:

My latest having tested positive on 17th November.(50 year old asian,  fit and healthy(relatively)and double vaccinated)

1st week was like hell. No energy, coughing non stop, dizziness, aching all over. Loss of appetite, loss of taste.

Basically asleep or coughing.

2nd week. 

Affected my chest and ended up with a chest infection, probably due to my asthma too. Increased my inhalers, still lack of energy and breathlessness. Aching receding.

Missed all the home games so it MUST have been bad!!!!

This week.

I'm still off sock from work, but signs of improvement  ATLAST.

Decent nights sleep now as the antibiotics take affect. Just my shoulders ache, which is weird. Took the lad to school which is a 10 minute walk yesterday  and was exhausted. I'm going to take this week to get some level of fitness back increasing the walking every day if I can before I go back work on Monday.

It's not been nice. I dont want it again.

Sounds rough mate, I wouldn’t rush back to fitness activity if I was you.

I had it quite mildly but being asthmatic it did affect my breathing and I had to ease myself back into exercise. I would say my level of fitness at the time was well above average.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sounds rough mate, I wouldn’t rush back to fitness activity if I was you.

I had it quite mildly but being asthmatic it did affect my breathing and I had to ease myself back into exercise. I would say my level of fitness at the time was well above average.

I'm just thinking walking?

I used to cycle to work every day, and running x2 a week, cant see that happening for the rest of the year.

49 minutes ago, Soup said:

I've read that article, it is indeed very sad. I do wish that there was an actual stat that said exactly how many 42 year old fit young men have died from Covid. I don't think that is too much to ask. Btw I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'd honestly just like to know.

You're not. Good question. It does state the following though:

"He was extremely unlikely to die from Covid, as a physically fit 42-year-old with no underlying conditions. The Covid mortality rate for a 40-year-old with no underlying health conditions is about one in every 1,490 people infected."

Nonetheless, the message is clear. He was completely indoctrinated by social media misinformation and consumed by confirmation bias - regularly posting links to alternative and agenda driven populist websites. Precisely what we see on this thread, (which is why I'm more than happy to dredge this up and name names)...accompanied by indignation when challenged.

Of note, yesterday @z-layrex consigned a fit unvaccinated 40 year old to the mortuary. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone who lost their sense of smell had experience of it coming back after the jab? 

Lost my smell and taste when I first tested positive in September last year

My taste has come back slightly (has changed a bit as well) but my smell hasn't really come back yet at all

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

No I just think don't bother anymore (regardless of what side your on), you're not gonna convince the others after 2 years, same as with all the Brexit stuff (what this reminds me of), so just come on here to enjoy the laugh and the ride :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

No I just think don't bother anymore (regardless of what side your on), you're not gonna convince the others after 2 years, same as with all the Brexit stuff (what this reminds me of), so just come on here to enjoy the laugh and the ride :thumbup:

But it's not a case of "being on a side" - this polarisation is a consequence of the populist emotionally charged opinion that I'm highlighting and so opposed to. if you really insist on seeing it like that then I'd advise you to be 'on the side of' evidence based science. 

Regarding convincing them - you are likely right, but it may prevent others that are unsure from succumbing to their bullshit. 

It can be entertaining, I grant you that, but at times, I find it more concerning. Look no further than Farrington Fox's views yesterday, which I suspect are just the tip of the iceberg - even possibly window dressing a deeper agenda. 

38 minutes ago, Line-X said:

But it's not a case of "being on a side" - this polarisation is a consequence of the populist emotionally charged opinion that I'm highlighting and so opposed to. if you really insist on seeing it like that then I'd advise you to be 'on the side of' evidence based science. 

Regarding convincing them - you are likely right, but it may prevent others that are unsure from succumbing to their bullshit. 

It can be entertaining, I grant you that, but at times, I find it more concerning. Look no further than Farrington Fox's views yesterday, which I suspect are just the tip of the iceberg - even possibly window dressing a deeper agenda. 

To add to this, what is going on now isn't a human-human conflict no matter how people might want to frame it as such and its not only misguided, but dangerous to frame it as such.

The virus is the enemy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

I'm just thinking walking?

I used to cycle to work every day, and running x2 a week, cant see that happening for the rest of the year.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I do 10k steps every day, some days closer to 20k, and even 15/20 mins with the dogs in the few weeks after having it could be a struggle. Definitely wise to take it easy.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 09:16, Line-X said:

But if a surgeon were to open you up, I'm fairly sure you'd want to know he was wearing one?

As I've said before, it's the same thing over and over and over again dredged up by the same few that are terrified of any hint of further restrictions or impingement on their personal lives. They then immediately mobilise on here as I predicted they would on Friday, deploying an arsenal of confirmation bias usually culled from a drip fed twitter account. Social media steers you towards what you want to hear based upon your preconceptions and preferences. Anything challenging this is filtered out. A search engine will return whatever the user wants to hear.

Regarding masks...and we go yet again, SARS-CoV-19 is largely spread via aerosols not fomites. Indoors, the very fine droplets and particles will continue to spread through the air in the room or space, can accumulate and are sufficiently small to enable them to remain suspended in the air for a prolonged period. We don't know precisely how long but laboratory tests have indicated this may be several hours. In a poorly ventilated area or closed room then it makes perfect sense to wear a facemask, particularly if sharing that space or if someone has occupied it before you. It's not rocket science - it's life science. A poorly improvised piece of cloth as an afterthought simply to satisfy a regulation isn't going to achieve anything. A properly fitted N95 respirator/surgical mask is purposefully designed to protect the wearer and others from particles contaminating the face, and actually, I've worn one for years when cycling in central London - why wouldn't you in any urban environment given the dangers of harmful airborne particulate?

I say "and others"...it's another thing these people don't get. In terms of the current pandemic, my own motivation for wearing a mask when around people in an indoor environment is to offer some degree of protection for them, not me. If I can reduce the chances of transmitting this to an elderly person in Sainsbury's or visiting my parents who are in their eighties, which an N95 mask unquestionably will, then this is not even a matter for debate. 

"A poorly improvised piece of cloth as an afterthought simply to satisfy a regulation isn't going to achieve anything". 

I agree, so why has the government mandated "face coverings" as opposed to the N95 mask that at least does something? It makes no sense!

I've just been round Asda in Leicester and most are wearing either a scarf or terribly fitted cloth mask! 

How do u find time to reply to everyone in such detail out of interest? It would take me half of my day to reply in the length and detail that you do.. good work. 

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I have zero sympathy for him , I'm sorry.

Some of the things hes alleged to have said just sums up this " I'm okay Jack, it's a load of rubbish".

Non vaxxers will read this story and still say something  to justify their stance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raj said:

I have zero sympathy for him , I'm sorry.

Some of the things hes alleged to have said just sums up this " I'm okay Jack, it's a load of rubbish".

Non vaxxers will read this story and still say something  to justify their stance.

And this is it, no one can say for sure that they are fine even if fit. I feel am I young and very healthy/fit but that doesn't mean my body automatically copes with any virus. I cannot see the inside and talk to my body to know how good it is in responding to certain things. The evidence is clear, no one is completely safe from it. So weighing up the risk of jab vs catching Covid and risking a serious illness/death, I made my choice.

The people I feel most sorry for in the above scenario are the family. Unfortunately, his stubborn attitude has cost him but importantly put a huge burden of grief on the family. And they did try to convince him but he realised when it was too late.

People just feel invincible but they are gambling. In his case, using the 1 in 1490 stat from the article (assuming correct), if that was a loaded weapon with one bullet in a 1490 bullet round, would you let someone take a shot at you? Whereas the other weapon has 1 bullet in a much larger bullet round (this being the vaccination and risk of death from that). For the latter I do not have the figures for a 40 year old healthy male but it is undoubtedly much bigger odds.

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

And this is it, no one can say for sure that they are fine even if fit. I feel am I young and very healthy/fit but that doesn't mean my body automatically copes with any virus. I cannot see the inside and talk to my body to know how good it is in responding to certain things. The evidence is clear, no one is completely safe from it. So weighing up the risk of jab vs catching Covid and risking a serious illness/death, I made my choice.

The people I feel most sorry for in the above scenario are the family. Unfortunately, his stubborn attitude has cost him but importantly put a huge burden of grief on the family. And they did try to convince him but he realised when it was too late.

People just feel invincible but they are gambling. In his case, using the 1 in 1490 stat from the article (assuming correct), if that was a loaded weapon with one bullet in a 1490 bullet round, would you let someone take a shot at you? Whereas the other weapon has 1 bullet in a much larger bullet round (this being the vaccination and risk of death from that). For the latter I do not have the figures for a 40 year old healthy male but it is undoubtedly much bigger odds.

In my circle of friends I have always been " the fit one".

The amount of texts/ messages I've had from people has been amazing. Alot have been so surprised that someone like me has suffered so much. I've even changed some of my relations attitudes with regards to getting the vaccine when I've told them how I've suffered.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

"A poorly improvised piece of cloth as an afterthought simply to satisfy a regulation isn't going to achieve anything". 

I agree, so why has the government mandated "face coverings" as opposed to the N95 mask that at least does something? It makes no sense!

I've just been round Asda in Leicester and most are wearing either a scarf or terribly fitted cloth mask! 

How do u find time to reply to everyone in such detail out of interest? It would take me half of my day to reply in the length and detail that you do.. good work. 

It’s also about reminding everyone that they need to take care …… seeing everyone wearing masks does that 

it’s easy to forget and start invading others space as has been the norm for all your life !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes the similarities are stark.  Both cases where digital misinformation has led to profound consequences for the public who in many vocal cases continue to be convinced by the charlatans anyway, a triumph of confirmation bias and sunk cost fallacy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Why are they mandatory in a shop but not a pub? 

The usual mixed and confused messaging. I guess it's hard enough to overcome resistance to any face coverings let alone enforce efficient aerosol filtration standards/specifications. The government need to demonstrate a response - irrespective of the impracticalities or inconsistencies. The current proposed booster roll out, although challenging, is admirable though. 

I work long hours both in person and remotely and this forum breaks down and punctuates my day nicely. It's replete with diverse membership, experiences and backgrounds - and frequently quite enriching. Of course, there's the opposite, but on an internet forum, the idiots will always hang themselves which is equally entertaining. It doesn't take long to post these and although a welcome diversion at times, I do concede that this forum can be little too time consuming. I'm visiting the University of Birmingham tomorrow afternoon, so the radio silence and lapse in content I have no doubt will be a welcome relief to many. 

I have moved to a different role which is not as demanding as my previous one. My narrower remit and diminishing duties has an inverse relationship with my post count of late. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

It’s also about reminding everyone that they need to take care …… seeing everyone wearing masks does that 

it’s easy to forget and start invading others space as has been the norm for all your life !!

"Invading each other's space" to some is the same as "having a conversation" to others.  If you're in a room with other people it's very hard to hold conversations if everyone is two yards apart.  If your hearing isn't what it was and everyone is wearing masks, then it's impossible to have a conversation.  Back to lonely misery for the old, is it?  And for how long?

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

"Invading each other's space" to some is the same as "having a conversation" to others.  If you're in a room with other people it's very hard to hold conversations if everyone is two yards apart.  If your hearing isn't what it was and everyone is wearing masks, then it's impossible to have a conversation.  Back to lonely misery for the old, is it?  And for how long?

Hopefully not too long