Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

john-cena-ooo.gif

You say it’s the “same as all the Brexit stuff” - I take a different view to Carl on this but still come to the same conclusion. The arguments around Brexit were largely economic, political and making attempts to predict the future. The arguments around coronavirus are around tangible science and actual evidence, right now.

If you’re ignoring advice on Covid simply because it reminds you of the Brexit arguments, you’re not giving the current situation the respect it deserves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Following on from the omicron variant, let's hope that the next one won't be as simple as pi to catch!

I find it odd that they skipped to omicron.

It's clearly a nu variant...

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dunge said:

You say it’s the “same as all the Brexit stuff” - I take a different view to Carl on this but still come to the same conclusion. The arguments around Brexit were largely economic, political and making attempts to predict the future. The arguments around coronavirus are around tangible science and actual evidence, right now.

If you’re ignoring advice on Covid simply because it reminds you of the Brexit arguments, you’re not giving the current situation the respect it deserves.

there was a proportion of brexit voters who were ignorant of what they were actually voting for and the consequences - which are still uncertain 

I expect some of these people are also unsure about taking a vaccine …..

we can’t generalise but I’d certainly be prepared to put money on it …..

46 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I just don't care tbh, it just makes me laugh seeing the same people making the same arguments and getting wound up by the same stuff day in day out lol

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

there was a proportion of brexit voters who were ignorant of what they were actually voting for and the consequences - which are still uncertain 

My point is there’s a lot more certainty around the vaccine.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I just don't care tbh, it just makes me laugh seeing the same people making the same arguments and getting wound up by the same stuff day in day out lol

Because it’s killing people, ruining livelihoods and extending the pandemic when the answers are right there. I totally understand Line-X’s frustration, given the number of thorough explanations he’s offered, repeatedly, through this thread.

There’s no issue with people with concerns asking questions. The problem is when, as we see too much in here, they aren’t interested in the answers.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Remember that both Macron and Merkel have expressed grave doubts about vaccines - and neither of them are Brexiters.  :)

Edited by dsr-burnley

8 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Because it’s killing people, ruining livelihoods and extending the pandemic when the answers are right there. I totally understand Line-X’s frustration, given the number of thorough explanations he’s offered, repeatedly, through this thread.

There’s no issue with people with concerns asking questions. The problem is when, as we see too much in here, they aren’t interested in the answers.

And then same questions with the same answers are then stated a few days later, and repeat lol I don't know why people waste their time getting into it.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

And then same questions with the same answers are then stated a few days later, and repeat lol I don't know why people waste their time getting into it.

...because a force of nature like this doesn't care about apathy other than to use it for its own benefit.

So, with respect, defending against that is never a waste of time no matter how many times it must be repeated for those who see the human element as bigger.

I have the Eurostar to and from Brussels booked for two weeks time. I was going to get the train from St. Pancras to Nottingham once I've returned. Seeing as now you have to self-isolate until you have the results of a day 2 PCR test, when does that period of isolation begin? Does it begin as soon as the train pulls into St. Pancras or am I allowed to get the train home before self-isolating? 

People often a) don't read or b) don't want to read or c) don't really want to learn or d) refuse to ever admit being wrong or e) are prey to their own cognitive biases to a large enough extent that they're blind to them. 

Any, some, or all of the above is where the correlation with certain Brexit voters is being made, I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I have the Eurostar to and from Brussels booked for two weeks time. I was going to get the train from St. Pancras to Nottingham once I've returned. Seeing as now you have to self-isolate until you have the results of a day 2 PCR test, when does that period of isolation begin? Does it begin as soon as the train pulls into St. Pancras or am I allowed to get the train home before self-isolating? 

I acknowledge that there's a chance that the trip won't go ahead btw. 

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

People often a) don't read or b) don't want to read or c) don't really want to learn or d) refuse to ever admit being wrong or e) are prey to their own cognitive biases to a large enough extent that they're blind to them. 

Any, some, or all of the above is where the correlation with certain Brexit voters is being made, I think. 

And, not to labour the point again, when what you're dealing with is a force of nature, then any and all of those are not only misguided but have the potential to be fatal to you and all those around you.

Covid is just a taste of that. And it shows we need to be better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The thing is this isn't something like flat earth theory where you can just leave them to it because their ideas aren't going to harm anyone (well, except that one guy who built a rocket I guess).

It's more like if a report came out saying that all UK tap water contained significant amounts of lead. A few companies start giving out filters to attach to your faucets to make it potable again but the government say we should all stop drinking from the tap until we get one. Would you laugh when people start saying over social media that they only give their kids unfiltered tap water because they don't want to give them the 'poison in the filters' or some such nonsense?  Or would you be shocked that anyone could be so brainwashed that they'll risk other people's lives to make a half-baked political point?

• Like 2

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

The thing is this isn't something like flat earth theory where you can just leave them to it because their ideas aren't going to harm anyone (well, except that one guy who built a rocket I guess).

It's more like if a report came out saying that all UK tap water contained significant amounts of lead. A few companies start giving out filters to attach to your faucets to make it potable again but the government say we should all stop drinking from the tap until we get one. Would you laugh when people start saying over social media that they only give their kids unfiltered tap water because they don't want to give them the 'poison in the filters' or some such nonsense?  Or would you be shocked that anyone could be so brainwashed that they'll risk other people's lives to make a half-baked political point?

Or a report came out that said that the global average temperature was increasing which would lead to vast amounts of famine and water shortages in the mid ter-

Wait. Shit.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I stopped reading at that point ;)

In all seriousness, valid point. 

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

You can isolate at home until get the results 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I stopped reading at that point ;)

In all seriousness, valid point. 

I'm sorry, I really am, but I despise using the same word repeatedly in a sentence or paragraph and afaik there is no other word for tap which doesn't evoke a slight change in intended meaning (ie. if I said spigot I'm sure we'd now be reading a bunch of smart arses talking about how weird it is that I go into the garden to get a glass of water).

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

So if I go I'm allowed to get the train home?

When you book the PCR test you'll get a number to enter on your passenger locator form. 

The day you arrive back is day zero.

You need to take the test on or before day 2.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Is it suggested that all remain voters are well-read, educated, open-minded and unbiased?  Because it seems to me that both students and university lecturers are among the most closed-minded people in the country at present, and I'm sure they were majority remain voting.

I'm fairly sure that not only are there unread, uninterested people on both sides of the Brexit debate, but also that the self-proclaimed superiority of certain remain voters is nothing to do with coronavirus.