Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Remember that both Macron and Merkel have expressed grave doubts about vaccines - and neither of them are Brexiters.  :)

are you referring to AZ at the outset of vaccine delivery ?

51 minutes ago, String fellow said:

In fact both nu and xi were skipped. Btw, xi is a great Scrabble word.

can you think why they skipped xi?  I’ll give you a clue ………

image.png.6341635e4cd664a76e92d147f08f58e0.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

are you referring to AZ at the outset of vaccine delivery ?

I think they're still opposed to the AZ vaccine, aren't they?  Merkel was very confused about it - she thought that because it hadn't been tested on over 65's was proof that it was dangerous for over 65's.  Macron was simultaneously complaining that it didn't work and that he wasn't getting enough supply.  I'm not aware that either has changed their view.

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I think they're still opposed to the AZ vaccine, aren't they?  Merkel was very confused about it - she thought that because it hadn't been tested on over 65's was proof that it was dangerous for over 65's.  Macron was simultaneously complaining that it didn't work and that he wasn't getting enough supply.  I'm not aware that either has changed their view.

I guess it’s lucky that no boosters are AZ then …………… there is no opposition from any politicians (responsible ones ) to mRNA vaccines 

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is it suggested that all remain voters are well-read, educated, open-minded and unbiased?  Because it seems to me that both students and university lecturers are among the most closed-minded people in the country at present, and I'm sure they were majority remain voting.

I'm fairly sure that not only are there unread, uninterested people on both sides of the Brexit debate, but also that the self-proclaimed superiority of certain remain voters is nothing to do with coronavirus.

Although I understand your response, I was careful not to say I agreed necessarily. In every cross section of any group there will be examples such as you gave.

But to take a swipe, based on very little, at students and lecturers, and appear to take offence at the suggestion that there is a cross section of unthinking people united about Brexit and vaccines seems rather defensive, to say the least. I'm not talking about you, I'm quite sure, and I wasn't tarring every Brexit voter the same either. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ironically at the same time as Omicron, there’s an unexpected dip on cases over the last three days on a week to week comparison. 

Alongside a good reduction in hospitalisations as well

There was someone on the news this morning saying it could actually be a good thing as it appears to be milder. 

That said, people will say anything to get on the telly.

50 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

"I believe this pandemic is over and the government does not want to let it go" - Neil Oliver.

@Line-X over to you lol

I've watched probably hundreds of hours of BBC4 during bouts of chronic insomnia and I loved every presenter and bit of programming apart from when this c*** was on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

"I believe this pandemic is over and the government does not want to let it go" - Neil Oliver.

@Line-X over to you lol

George Best meets David Icke? What's the standard retort? No thanks, I have a sock drawer to sort. 

The astonishing thing is that as of typing this, 329,165 gullible airheads squandered ten minutes of their lives on this horseshit and no doubt countless hours on other videos like this. Also, that it has 16k likes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Amusingly the downvotes have been concealed. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

There was someone on the news this morning saying it could actually be a good thing as it appears to be milder. 

That point has been made several times on this thread at the weekend.

Every mutation carries with it a risk of error, and this has double the mutation count of Delta (which usurped Beta). However, it's unlikely that it has destabilised itself given the rate of transmission. As @leicsmac and others have suggested, if the symptoms are milder than Delta and it becomes the dominant strain, despite the fact that R number will probably increase, the rate of hospitalisation will fall and with it, the mortality rate. Do appreciate though that it's summer in Southern Africa.

Right now we simply don't know enough, but a the aforementioned scenario could be a way out of this. What concerns virologists and immunologists is the high level of mutations and the possibility of vaccine evasion. mRNA vaccines can be tweaked and I believe I'm right in saying that early findings have prompted Moderna to announce that this is very likely going to be necessary. However, it's not simply the antibody match, but also the amount. This is why the current booster roll out is so crucial. 

My other half printed up a notice that she cannot wear a mask. She works at the local hospital, and is in daily contact with the general public. She had covid last summer, after her first jab. There is no valid reason for her not to wear one, she just doesn't want to. We are always rowing about this. She deserves to catch a bad dose of it, the stupid cow.

32 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

As long as having had an Omicron infection grants immunity to previous variants, this would indeed be excellent news. This does seem most likely to be the case as there are reports that it is displacing the Delta variant in Southern Africa.

Here is our friend John Campbell’s latest take on Omicron. Notice, no conspiracy theories, just a review of what data is available in a very digestible form for non experts. Fairly typical of his output throughout in my experience, though somewhat lower quality as he’s not home at the moment.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

A question here for us - what’s peoples thoughts on going bullet a gate on a booster which will require adaptation in approx 3 months time ? (On the assumption of omicron becomes the dominant variant) 

To my mind I’m considering holding out have any booster if we are going to have another one in April onwards. Particularly given I currently have Covid. 

The booster campaign for some reason needed the threat of a new variant to which the booster won’t provide protection (according to the likes of Moderna) to finally get decent capacity and infrastructure to roll it out. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A question here for us - what’s peoples thoughts on going bullet a gate on a booster which will require adaptation in approx 3 months time ? (On the assumption of omicron becomes the dominant variant) 

To my mind I’m considering holding out have any booster if we are going to have another one in April onwards. Particularly given I currently have Covid. 

The booster campaign for some reason needed the threat of a new variant to which the booster won’t provide protection (according to the likes of Moderna) to finally get decent capacity and infrastructure to roll it out. 

Think I’ve got another for the Malapropism’s thread :P

In my inexpert opinion, if you currently have Covid I wouldn’t worry about a booster anyway for some time. However, I think generally for most people, getting a booster is a wise precaution. It isn’t yet established whether Omicron really has immune escape properties or not yet.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

10 hours ago, Soup said:

I've read that article, it is indeed very sad. I do wish that there was an actual stat that said exactly how many 42 year old fit young men have died from Covid. I don't think that is too much to ask. Btw I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'd honestly just like to know.

The only stat I could find was as odd December 2020, 101 people aged between 0-44 with no underlying health issues had died from covid. That was pre vaccinations and pre delta so not sure what either has done for the chance of dying from covid in that cohort if unvaccinated and with no underlying issues. 

I don't know why but 1 in 1500 sounds surprising based on the stats a year ago. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Here is our friend John Campbell’s latest take on Omicron. Notice, no conspiracy theories, just a review of what data is available in a very digestible form for non experts. Fairly typical of his output throughout in my experience, though somewhat lower quality as he’s not home at the moment.

He's just doing it for clicks to make more money from the adverts he doesn't seem to have on his videos.

19 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Think I’ve got another for the Malapropism’s thread :P

lol

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As I mentioned, it's too early to say. It will be around three weeks until we are able to gather real world data and return some provisional findings. To reiterate, it's not simply the antibody match, but the level that you have in the body. Right now it's absolutely the right course of action to proceed - Delta is still the dominant variant. It may be that vaccinations need tweaking, remember these were developed around Alpha the original Wuhan strain which is why they were somewhat less effective for Kent and Delta, although the latter still responds very well. The difference is spike protein and the high level of mutation is the concern - but again, we'll know more later this month. 

3 minutes ago, danny. said:

He's just doing it for clicks to make more money from the adverts he doesn't seem to have on his videos.

? Garner enough hits you then attract advertising. Gain sufficient followers, you can derive an income from You Tube (albeit a very large amount of them). 

This is why there are so many wannabe conspiracy theorists on You Tube - (not Campbell) - that the platform is now regulating, because it has become a cottage industry - you churn them out like a production line. Entice and snare the chemtrail believers, you've likely also captured the 5G lunatics and 9/11 'truther' market. You Tube and FB know this, and have tolerated and actually nurtured it for years - anger and outrage sells, but n the face of criticism, they have been forced to act against obvious fake news and disinformation/misinformation. Almost through gritted teeth and in a conciliatory gesture they have placed Encyclopedia Britannia and wiki references at the top of chemtrail and flat earth videos but have been compelled to ban more extreme and contentious stuff. In my view all of this shite is damaging to the unwary and impressionable the scientifically illiterate and critically impaired. 

To be fair, John Campbell's videos are reasonably balanced and measured compared to some, but they broach subjects that are either sensationalist or do not warrant attention...the possible benefits of Ivermectin being one such example. This attracts some fairly hardcore lunatics. Take a look at some of the comments, even concerning his less topical videos. He's not bothered, a hit is a hit. To many that visit his videos, they are only interested in confirmation bias and do not understand the science he presents or are simply bamboozled by it.