Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

I think you're confused with the point of vaccinations. They're not intended to stop spread, nor stop you catching the disease. What they are intended for is to REDUCE the severity of said virus, in which case they are doing a good job. 

It becomes more of a moral issue when talking about mandatory vaccinations though, however, unless you're working in the ICU wards, I don't think any of us really have any idea.

I didn't dispute that point at all, and don't disagree with any of that. I was merely disputing the idea that mandatory vaccines are an open goal for these measures to stop.

37 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Cannot see Boris doing that here tbh .

Would lose him even more good will !

Luckily for him, and us, he doesn't have to because vaccinations are running much better over here and people are more receptive.

There are a lot more refusing vaccination over in Germany than in the UK. Unfortunately, Germany has to protect the health system and this is the best way other than punishing people who have got vaccinated. If you refuse the vaccine then don't expect to have the same freedoms in a pandemic.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

1) That's my point - previously UK govt has allowed exception and you present a certificate of recovery. However since the rule change, they don't want to do that. I understand why they have chosen the PCR route but it's a risk for me taking that test with a highly likelihood of a positive ( I am wondering if anyone has experience of a similar circumstance and they came back negative ?)

2) The anti-gen is only triggered by heavy COVID viral load, so it's not that much of a surprise. 

3) Yes, anti-gen/LFT positive 6 days and PCR 5 days ago positive. (which if it was omicron, I'd be told by now). 

debs has answered with a reply that  I wasn’t expecting so clearly it isn’t a black/white but I’d be surprised if you showed neg on a PCR so soon after a case.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Luckily for him, and us, he doesn't have to because vaccinations are running much better over here and people are more receptive.

There are a lot more refusing vaccination over in Germany than in the UK. Unfortunately, Germany has to protect the health system and this is the best way other than punishing people who have got vaccinated. If you refuse the vaccine then don't expect to have the same freedoms in a pandemic.

This is interesting - I guess shops and hospitality etc are entitled to admit/ not admit who they want to if the law allows them to discriminate 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I guess shops and hospitality etc are entitled to admit/ not admit who they want to if the law allows them to discriminate

I don’t believe that people who don’t get vaccinated are one of the categories protected from discrimination in law,* so I’d have thought it’d be fine.

* I’m not a lawyer, or indeed particularly knowledgeable about the law, so if I were you I would not actually rely on this advice. Legally, like.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

to see MP’s like Steve Baker with a crack in his voice when discussing these issues tells you everything you need to know about the situation

Coz Steve Baker is such a renowned champion of civil liberties. Famous for it, he is.

18 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Future generations will never experience life like it was pre February 2020 and that for me is so, so sad.

ikr! There’s a sinister plot to make people wear face masks for ever and ever. Just because, like.

Meanwhile the government carry out the biggest assault on actual civil liberties in this country in god knows how long and hardly anyone is batting an eyelid. Certainly not the ‘freedom’ loving arsewipes making such a fuss about being asked to wear a mask on a bus for a bit so that fewer people might die.

Edited by Phil Bowman
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Coz Steve Baker is such a renowned champion of civil liberties. Famous for it, he is.

ikr! There’s a sinister plot to make people wear face masks for ever and ever. Just because, like.

Meanwhile the government carry out the biggest assault on actual civil liberties in this country in god knows how long and hardly anyone is batting an eyelid. Certainly not the ‘freedom’ loving arsewipes making such a fuss about being asked to wear a mask on a bus for a bit so that fewer people might die.

It's no longer a sinister plot.  It's pure theatre.

I've just ventured into a shop.  Online deliveries have become somewhat scarce yet again, so I entered a shop masked.

There are people without masks.  Are they challenged?  No.  Have the received a £200 fine?  No.  Perhaps they are such known regulars to the workforce in there, are exempt and therefore remain unchallenged.

Whatever.  

Do I feel more secure in the knowledge that I am masked, most others bar the odd one or two unmasked non challenged people are not?  No.

Pure theatre.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

2 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Unfortunately people won’t realise until it’s too late. The eroding of civil liberties will never return and to see MP’s like Steve Baker with a crack in his voice when discussing these issues tells you everything you need to know about the situation. Future generations will never experience life like it was pre February 2020 and that for me is so, so sad. 

Civil liberties and Steve Baker 😂😂

Constantly pushing through the latest Policing Bill and it’s a restriction on protesting. 

He’s constantly voted for the mass survillance of people’s communications and collecting the data of how people use their phone/internet. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If you cannot see what is wrong by what is being forced on people here, I despair.

I can see many things, and was, in part, being facetious.

And are we talking about anything actually being forced on people? They’d just be (very strongly) encouraged to get a vaccine against a potentially nasty, even fatal, illness, for the good of both themselves and everyone else.

Just now, Phil Bowman said:

I can see many things, and was, in part, being facetious.

And are we talking about anything actually being forced on people? They’d just be (very strongly) encouraged to get a vaccine against a potentially nasty, even fatal, illness, for the good of both themselves and everyone else.

Since going into a shop is pretty much a necessity, to argue that it is not being forced on people is wafer thin.

41 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If you cannot see what is wrong by what is being forced on people here, I despair.

The fact that I've had a vaccine and someone hasn't is an irrelevant comparison to make when it does not prevent spread regardless of your vaccination status.  

Would I feel more safe knowing I was in a room of vaccinated people?  No, the risk is still there.  

If people want to risk hospitalisation then so be it but to be shunned from society because of a personal choice is a disgrace.

What I find a disgrace is that many ICU beds are being taken up by people who are either too stupid or too scared to be vaccinated and they are indirectly causing pressures on the NHS resulting in other services to people who need treatment suffering.

Of course it is up to people to make their own choices but if those who choose to be unvaccinated, as opposed to the very few in the country who have a genuine reason for not being vaccinated, have to miss out on a few pleasures in life then I'm starting to run out of sympathy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I've just ventured into a shop.  Online deliveries have become somewhat scarce yet again, so I entered a shop masked.

There are people without masks.  Are they challenged?  No.  Have the received a £200 fine?  No.  Perhaps they are such known regulars to the workforce in there, are exempt and therefore remain unchallenged.

Whatever.  

Do I feel more secure in the knowledge that I am masked, most others bar the odd one or two unmasked non challenged people are not?  No.

Pure theatre.

Its Not up to Business( shops)  or workers/staff to Control people/customers without masks...

Police/Security Control if any , are told to first give Diplomatic warnings...Then if no Compliance fines should be given.

But  Shop staff are not expected to do make or Force any controls...

So Dont get Too vent up about it

Edited by fuchsntf

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Whatever.  

Pure theatre.

It’s not theatre. It’s sad. Many shop staff may be very unwilling to challenge people for fear of getting an earful of abuse, or worse.

I too was in a shop earlier. Everyone - staff and customers - that I saw was wearing a mask. Neither of our anecdotes really tells anyone very much!

I’m jabbed, I wear a mask where it might be useful, I try to minimise the amount I breathe and cough over strangers or work colleagues. If I die of covid (which I probably won’t - most people don’t) at least I’ll know I wasn’t a twat* about it and I’ll have taken as few people with me as I reasonably could.

*(and no, I’m not calling you a twat!**
You put a mask on to go in the shop, and that’s demonstrably untwattish)

** not today, at least 😉

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Unfortunately people won’t realise until it’s too late. The eroding of civil liberties will never return and to see MP’s like Steve Baker with a crack in his voice when discussing these issues tells you everything you need to know about the situation. Future generations will never experience life like it was pre February 2020 and that for me is so, so sad. 

Do you really believe that we won’t go back to how it used to be or are you basing this on the view that covid will always be with us and the general ‘elf and safety’ approach to modern living will continue to take precedence??

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

What I find a disgrace is that many ICU beds are being taken up by people who are either too stupid or too scared to be vaccinated and they are indirectly causing pressures on the NHS resulting in other services to people who need treatment suffering.

Of course it is up to people to make their own choices but if those who choose to be unvaccinated, as opposed to the very few in the country who have a genuine reason for not being vaccinated, have to miss out on a few pleasures in life then I'm starting to run out of sympathy.

Two years ago hospitals would have been full to the brim with flu patients.  Noone batted an eyelid.

Until the health service is adequately funded and sorted out we will continue to have problems regardless of what people go in for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Two years ago hospitals would have been full to the brim with flu patients.  Noone batted an eyelid.

Until the health service is adequately funded and sorted out we will continue to have problems regardless of what people go in for.

Yes this is true but irrelevant to the argument over vaccination.

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Do you really believe that we won’t go back to how it used to be or are you basing this on the view that covid will always be with us and the general ‘elf and safety’ approach to modern living will continue to take precedence??

Think you're very optimistic if you think things will go back to how they were now