Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/icu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16385553648145&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2021%2Fnov%2F21%2Ficu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin

Of course, there are people who have their vaccinations but still get sick. These people may be elderly or frail, or have underlying health problems. Those with illnesses affecting the immune system, particularly patients who have had chemotherapy for blood cancers, are especially vulnerable. Some unlucky healthy people will also end up on our general wards with Covid after being vaccinated, usually needing a modest amount of oxygen for a few days.

But the story is different on our intensive care unit. Here, the patient population consists of a few vulnerable people with severe underlying health problems and a majority of fit, healthy, younger people unvaccinated by choice. Watching the mix of patients coming in with Covid, it feels to me like hardly anybody has been vaccinated nowadays; of course, this is because the people that have been vaccinated are getting on with their lives at home. If everyone got vaccinated, hospitals would be under much less pressure; this is beyond debate. Your wait for your clinic appointment/operation/diagnostic test/A&E department would be shorter. Your ambulance would arrive sooner. Reports of the pressure on the NHS are not exaggerated, I promise you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Government scientists issue stark warning on Omicron, saying could lead to 'very large wave of infections'

"Even if there continues to be good protection against severe disease for individuals from vaccination (including boosters), any significant reduction in protection against infection could still result in a very large wave of infections.

This would in turn lead to potentially high numbers of hospitalisations even with protection against severe disease being less affected.

The size of this wave remains highly uncertain but may be of a scale that requires very stringent response measures to avoid unsustainable pressure on the NHS.

If vaccine efficacy is substantially reduced, then a wave of severe disease should be expected. It is important to be prepared for a potentially very significant wave of infections with associated hospitalisations now, ahead of data being available."

Apparently this is funny. Not. 

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

That was Javid.

Imperial quoted 120k and Ferguson 200k.

I’m pretty sure that the quotes were something like “we don’t know how high the numbers might go, maybe up to 200k”. Actual numbers got up to about 50k so far, and most of the winter is still ahead. Hopefully numbers won’t go that far, and in general I think it would be better if authorities didn’t speculate, however you seem to consistently mention these quotes completely out of context.

4 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I’m pretty sure that the quotes were something like “we don’t know how high the numbers might go, maybe up to 200k”. Actual numbers got up to about 50k so far, and most of the winter is still ahead. Hopefully numbers won’t go that far, and in general I think it would be better if authorities didn’t speculate, however you seem to consistently mention these quotes completely out of context.

It's not out of context.

I was quoting figures from the summer which is what the original post related to that I was replying to!

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's not out of context.

I was quoting figures from the summer which is what the original post related to that I was replying to!

Mate - you keep quoting cases recorded by testing.  Modelling is predicting actual cases. You need to look at ONS data to get that 

we have seen between 1 in 50 and 1 in 70 weekly infection rate for much of the past couple months.  Not easy to work out how many daily cases that is but it’s likely between 1 million and 1.5 million cases per week.  I’m pretty sure that’s going to be 100k+ cases per day (at least).

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's not out of context.

Well, for instance, I believe he was talking about ONS stats, not headline rates, and these are pretty much in line with his comments as far as I can see.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/3december2021

Edit: Already noted above I see.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tomato tomato.

@z-layrex were your ICUs really filling up with flu patients previously?

Of course they were very busy, always had winter pressures from flu etc. We never had to put 2 patients in bedspaces designed for 1 though, nothing like this.

Edited by z-layrex

I came out of isolation around 4 weeks ago, felt OK if a little lethargic for the first week and was diagnosed with a chest infection over the phone by the GP

Improved loads and felt almost back to normal the next week.

This last week I'm constantly exhausted, coughing non stop and feeling really rubbish and achey.

Makes me wonder if it's all connected to covid or if I have something else.

Just really depressing, don't want to do anything - just want to sleep.

Edited by Rain King

3 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Read yesterday there was 8 covid patients in Icu across the 3 hospitals in Leicester I'm sure they were all unvaccinated 

that's nothing, a couple of months ago icu's in west wales were struggling to cope as the were nearing 80% capacity. There were a total of 12 beds..... 

27 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Of course they were very busy, always had winter pressures from flu etc. We never had to put 2 patients in bedspaces designed for 1 though, nothing like this.

A matter of interest. How many icu beds are there in the 3 hospitals in Leicester?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

@z-layrexworks in London I think, but Google tells me there are 45 ICU beds across the 3 hospitals in Leicester

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/departments-services/critical-care/

And this is what I can’t get my head round. The nhs is in danger of being overwhelmed due to the sheer quantity of people that would need icu beds. So in Leicestershire, we have 45 icu beds, now, I’m not being funny, but 45 beds doesn’t seem that difficult to overwhelm. I dunno, maybe there’s only 6 or 7 nurses and doctors, but I very much doubt it especially when you consider it’s kind of human nature to exaggerate how busy you actually are, I do it all the time,  but when you consider there’s quite a lot of people who live in Leicestershire and as far as I’m aware, our hospitals didn’t turn away people needing a bed and there hasn’t really been oxygen tents in the streets. Is there a picture being painted of something a lot worse than it actually is.

Also, wasn’t Leicester the epicentre of the virus at one point and was in lockdown for the longest period, well, I think the solution would have been to get a couple more icu beds in place.

Edited by yorkie1999

50 minutes ago, Soup said:

So we could have this for another 5 years. It'll fly by and this thread will be fun I guess 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10272001/SAGE-calls-WFH-vaccine-passports-face-Omicron-wave.html

Doubt it, there’s a general election in the middle of all that and things always get better in the run up to a general election.

Guest Harrydc

I think what annoys people is how we were promised our 'freedom' back and was told we can 'get on with our lives' when the vaccine program was approved. I'm not sure how many people recall Matt Hancock stating this whilst 'crying'. We were told that once we've been double jabbed we're more or less out of the woods. 

Now, I know countless people who are double jabbed but are not getting the booster as they do not see where it will end. & I don't blame them one bit. Surely it's understandable that people are fed up when they did what they were told yet still are having to do more whilst simultaneously being threatened with nonsense such as vaccine passports. 

Edited by Harrydc