Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

I think most people are willing to accept the risk of having Christmas with family. Might be useful to do lateral flow on the morning IF you have vulnerable family though. Doesn't hurt to do one

Well no, it doesn’t hurt, exactly, but there can be a small amount of mild discomfort.

13 hours ago, pleatout said:

The rest of us rely on the NHS for other things.  Meanwhile you may end up occupying a bed due to ignorance, belligerence, selfishness or stupidity.  I'm not sure which it is.

No one is dictating to you what you put in to your body. You dont have to be vaccinated.  But lock yourself away and dont go out.  That way you wont bother the NHS or the rest of society and we will all be fine. 

You could say the same about smokers, fat people and many other people that could supposedly do something about their future health. Somewhere along the way some common sense will need to prevail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Comparing the US and the UK is apples and oranges; you had a rate of infection far and above almost anywhere in the world, for reasons that are well documented.

I'm not defending his anti-vax position, but that an under-staffed, under-prepared NHS is a contributary factor is a self-evident truth.

I don’t think anyone would argue that the NHS should be better funded but my point still remains. If you take unvaccinated patients away from the hospitals in England, you’d not have the crisis situations happening.

Has there ever been any vaccination programme in history that's gained 100% take up? I actually think our rates of take up isn't as unacceptable as is being made out and is far higher than the government and scientists modelled would happen so I support continued encouragement but if people still don't want it they don't want it and just get on with the things they can control.

The hypocrisy that goes on from this pandemic vs everything else is just astonishing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Harrydc said:

As a *relatively* healthy 23 year old, I should be able to asses the risk of both covid and the vaccination and make that choice for myself. 

Don’t get me wrong, I do support the personal choice. No one should be forced to be vaccinated.

but make sure you factor in  to your decision that even if you do get covid and it not effect you much, you could pass it on to someone who it has a  devastating effects on.

I personally would  not be able to live with myself if  I was responsible for passing it on to a family member who died from it.

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Has there ever been any vaccination programme in history that's gained 100% take up? I actually think our rates of take up isn't as unacceptable as is being made out and is far higher than the government and scientists modelled would happen so I support continued encouragement but if people still don't want it they don't want it and just get on with the things they can control.

The hypocrisy that goes on from this pandemic vs everything else is just astonishing. 

When it all kicked off, they were talking about herd immunity and how important it would be to achieve that, something like when 70% of the population would need to catch the virus, everyone was up in arms that it would be a death sentence to many people, well, surely we’re approaching that figure now with a vaccination program that has undoubtedly saved a lot lives but taken a lot longer. Why are they now talking about lockdowns and everything else if we’ve  more or less achieved herd immunity? Was it all just bullshit in the first place?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

When it all kicked off, they were talking about herd immunity and how important it would be to achieve that, something like when 70% of the population would need to catch the virus, everyone was up in arms that it would be a death sentence to many people, well, surely we’re approaching that figure now with a vaccination program that has undoubtedly saved a lot lives but taken a lot longer. Why are they now talking about lockdowns and everything else if we’ve  more or less achieved herd immunity? Was it all just bullshit in the first place?

We're fcuked mate, we've years of all this. Every country is claiming they're trying to " live with covid " but in reality the decision making is clouded by an attempt to protect everyone that they can't.

This might be a too simplistic view but if the majority of our population having the vaccine still isnt enough to prevent our NHS being overwhelmed then I don't know what else can be done, it's not realistic to get 100% vaccination and even if they do I wonder whether the NHS still could cope, there's always something causing unmanageable pressure.

We cannot keep bringing in restrictions, people are on the verge of mental breakdowns every time they do but this just highlights how delicate society is at operating freely and heaven forbid this virus or another one mutates where more than a very select % of the population are in serious serious danger from it.

Now that last comment isn't a bid to sound insensitive or controversial but it just shows how vulnerable we are in the world to having our lives hugely disrupted by something that such a small % are in serious danger. There's consequences each and every way this is handled but if the only option is to curb our freedom year in, year out then that's not a viable option. 

Years ago, survival of the fittest was the only option and sadly that's life. There's not a chance a western country would take that stance though now, yet in a bid to protect the minority they'll be willing to indirectly cause more longterm harm to pretty much everyone. 

I'd not want to be the decision makers on this but people are living in a dream world if they think the decisions the majority of the world are making will give us back our natural freedom. Its not going to happen. Our best and only hope is this virus mutates like the Spanish flu and the decision making is eventually done for them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

people are living in a dream world if they think the decisions the majority of the world are making will give us back our natural freedom

Interesting concept. Not sure I quite understand what ‘our natural freedom’ is, tbh; also not sure I’m convinced there is, or ever was, any such thing…

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We're fcuked mate, we've years of all this. Every country is claiming they're trying to " live with covid " but in reality the decision making is clouded by an attempt to protect everyone that they can't.

This might be a too simplistic view but if the majority of our population having the vaccine still isnt enough to prevent our NHS being overwhelmed then I don't know what else can be done, it's not realistic to get 100% vaccination and even if they do I wonder whether the NHS still could cope, there's always something causing unmanageable pressure.

We cannot keep bringing in restrictions, people are on the verge of mental breakdowns every time they do but this just highlights how delicate society is at operating freely and heaven forbid this virus or another one mutates where more than a very select % of the population are in serious serious danger from it.

Now that last comment isn't a bid to sound insensitive or controversial but it just shows how vulnerable we are in the world to having our lives hugely disrupted by something that such a small % are in serious danger. There's consequences each and every way this is handled but if the only option is to curb our freedom year in, year out then that's not a viable option. 

Years ago, survival of the fittest was the only option and sadly that's life. There's not a chance a western country would take that stance though now, yet in a bid to protect the minority they'll be willing to indirectly cause more longterm harm to pretty much everyone. 

I'd not want to be the decision makers on this but people are living in a dream world if they think the decisions the majority of the world are making will give us back our natural freedom. Its not going to happen. Our best and only hope is this virus mutates like the Spanish flu and the decision making is eventually done for them.

Interesting points. From the top down bolded:

- or another global crisis that affects more people comes to fruition, which is not only possible but inevitable

- absolutely, and preparation and long term thinking about such things simply needs to be better

- I'm glad that they don't take that stance, because following Darwin's playbook to its logical conclusion ends up with humanity extinct. The only option that means long-term survival is to do our best to subvert the rules.

- This is the most likely scenario, thankfully, and the sooner the better.

NB. If this is a dress rehersal for how humanity should act in the face of a bona fide global natural crisis, then we're flubbing our lines. Doing so again on opening night would be catastrophic.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

when this all kicked off they knew f all about it 

they assumed it would be a virus where exposure would mean you wouldn’t catch it again - or if you did it would be a v mild experience and you couldn’t pass it on. When I got it early I stupidly thought ‘ great’, I will be able to do everything because I’ve had it now and I won’t need to worry about catching it in the future.  

basically, covid has exceeded their fears in respect of its ability to evade the vaccines ref re infection and you then being infectious. 

It may be that herd immunity will be reached on a level that means the NHS won’t be overwhelmed but I fear we need to get rates up to 90/95% to achieve that because a small percentage of those with immunity will still become v ill. 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

how vulnerable we are in the world to having our lives hugely disrupted by something

This is very true. Unfortunately to become less vulnerable to things like this I think we’d need a complete change in the way we organise our world, and I can’t really see how that’s going to happen. But if we don’t then one day there will be a pandemic of a deadlier virus, and I’d rather we were more prepared for and resilient to that one than we’ve been to this one.

Although to be honest climate change may mean it doesn’t really matter much by the time that pandemic arrives.

(Wow, haven’t I brought the bantz and the lolz with this post!)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Interesting concept. Not sure I quite understand what ‘our natural freedom’ is, tbh; also not sure I’m convinced there is, or ever was, any such thing…

Does make me giggle people groaning on about "Freedoms", like they don't currently operate within a set of rules created by others. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If this is a dress rehersal for how humanity should act in the face of a bona fide global natural crisis, then we're flubbing our lines. Doing so again on opening night would be catastrophic.

Don’t worry. The determined, coordinated and organised response we’re displaying to the climate crisis makes me pretty confident we’ll be ok when the chips are really down.

• Sad 1

Just now, Phil Bowman said:

This is very true. Unfortunately to become less vulnerable to things like this I think we’d need a complete change in the way we organise our world, and I can’t really see how that’s going to happen. But if we don’t then one day there will be a pandemic of a deadlier virus, and I’d rather we were more prepared for and resilient to that one than we’ve been to this one.

Although to be honest climate change may mean it doesn’t really matter much by the time that pandemic arrives.

(Wow, haven’t I brought the bantz and the lolz with this post!)

9f2f93e0-6dad-435c-8bb3-077e42f97d2d_tex

But seriously, these are points that need to be made. And to me the global response to a deadlier pandemic and to climate change are remarkably similar - that is to say, coordinated and as one world rather than a collection of petty tribes.

I'd agree however that the changes necessary to organise our world are unlikely, but one day it will be that or societal collapse. Which would be a rather ignoble end to a human legacy that could be so much better.

1 minute ago, Phil Bowman said:

Don’t worry. The determined, coordinated and organised response we’re displaying to the climate crisis makes me pretty confident we’ll be ok when the chips are really down.

Yep, we're making superb strides in that direction and I'm sure tha-

Wait.

Shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

9f2f93e0-6dad-435c-8bb3-077e42f97d2d_tex

But seriously, these are points that need to be made. And to me the global response to a deadlier pandemic and to climate change are remarkably similar - that is to say, coordinated and as one world rather than a collection of petty tribes.

I'd agree however that the changes necessary to organise our world are unlikely, but one day it will be that or societal collapse. Which would be a rather ignoble end to a human legacy that could be so much better.

Oh, I’ve been aboard for a long time. I’m belatedly thinking I haven’t been rowing hard enough though.

17 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

What am I making up? Scientists have confirmed that vaccinated and unvaccinated people carry the same viral load for Delta and initial reports for

Omicron suggest the same. So if someone doesn’t have to test as much because they are vaccinated compared to someone who is unvaccinated, they can still be infected because the vaccine doesn’t stop infection and they are also as contagious as a non-vaccinated person. So for me the only thing I care about is someone testing to be negative because the only thing the vaccine is shown to do is reduce symptoms if you have it. 

Wrong... how many  times does this need going over. Peak, Peak viral loads are similar. Actually read the report and it clearly states that you aren't as highly infectious for the same amount of time, ergo you are less infectious and less likely to pass it off. 

Edited by Babylon

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Back to work to.orrow since testing positive on 17th November  and having an absolutely  nightmare 2 weeks with it, resulting in missing the last 3 home games!!!

I normally cycle to work and run 2 times a walk, currently I can just about manage a 30 minute slow walk so driving to work for the foreseeable future. 

It's a bloody sh1tter is covid.

Covid sucks ass, I've been sleeping about 15 hours a day to try and have enough energy to walk to the toilet for a piss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we should just eat the rest of the unvaccinated. It would solve the meat shortages, and could become a bit if Xmas tradition in time.

Eat your neighbours, protect the NHS.

• Haha 3