Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 minutes ago, danny. said:

I’d have thought before spending half a billion someone would have done a quick feasibility check to make sure if they built more beds and units there would be people available to run them!

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But then I'm not sure what other explanation fits.

• Like 1

Nightingale hospitals were there for a worse case scenario than actually happened.  If there had been a million patients all needing hospital treatment, which would have been better - Nightingale hospitals with beds and roofs and heating and essential equipment, but only a skeleton staff doing their best with auxiliaries and temps who can at least do more basic tasks that nurses haven't time for - or patients in car parks or sent home with no medical help whatever?

They weren't needed.  That's good news.  They were there if they had been needed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Nightingale hospitals were there for a worse case scenario than actually happened.  If there had been a million patients all needing hospital treatment, which would have been better - Nightingale hospitals with beds and roofs and heating and essential equipment, but only a skeleton staff doing their best with auxiliaries and temps who can at least do more basic tasks that nurses haven't time for - or patients in car parks or sent home with no medical help whatever?

They weren't needed.  That's good news.  They were there if they had been needed.

Is that the case though, people are dying of cancer because the NHS is overrun. Sounds like they are needed?

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Still no deaths recorded from this new variant?

less than three weeks since it was first noted ....... of course its good but it means nothing just yet .......if its the same in two weeks time then i guess will be significant (but then again, how good is sequencing around the world in checking all patients for the covid strain, especially as the mutation is currently more widespread in africa - and death rates are lower for many demographic reasons).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

My mates son trains nurses to work in icu at Bristol University, at the time, they were training a lot of army personel with the intention of them manning the nightingales. The government were prepared to use them because of their "expendability".

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

less than three weeks since it was first noted ....... of course its good but it means nothing just yet .......if its the same in two weeks time then i guess will be significant (but then again, how good is sequencing around the world in checking all patients for the covid strain, especially as the mutation is currently more widespread in africa - and death rates are lower for many demographic reasons).

Yeaah, very small sample size. Also read that a few doctors in South Africa are reporting a much larger amount of children being hospitalised in the past few weeks, so definitely something to keep an eye on.

11 minutes ago, danny. said:

Is that the case though, people are dying of cancer because the NHS is overrun. Sounds like they are needed?

They can't treat cancer on a skeleton staff basis.  Certainly they never reached the stage of telling coronavirus patients that they would get less-than-ideal treatment with a skeleton staff because they need the "proper" hospitals fully staffed for other patients, with the certain knowledge that coronavirus patients would die as a result - even if that would have been a pragmatic solution, it would never have been politically acceptable.

5 minutes ago, danny. said:

you need the infrastructure in a hospital to deal with patients. these nightingales were glorified field hospitals - they were done to help calm the population given the concerns at the time

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

They can't treat cancer on a skeleton staff basis.  Certainly they never reached the stage of telling coronavirus patients that they would get less-than-ideal treatment with a skeleton staff because they need the "proper" hospitals fully staffed for other patients, with the certain knowledge that coronavirus patients would die as a result - even if that would have been a pragmatic solution, it would never have been politically acceptable.

Well of course, but they could have used the skeleton staff for covid patients, especially people who should have got vaccinated and wouldn't. Which is basically what you said... "even if that would have been a pragmatic solution, it would never have been politically acceptable" yup - agree.

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I seem to remember @z-layrex (ICU nurse) giving a similar explanation for the non-use of most Nightingale hospital facilities.

The London one was one big PR stunt for Barts Health, the Tories and god knows who else. If things had actually been that desperate that it was needed, it would have been somewhere we decanted patients to die.

I remember when they asked for volunteers to go work there, only the very young nurses offered because they didn't have enough sense to know how stupid the idea was. They asked to come back pretty quickly.

Do you remember the stupid TikToks? When we were struggling in the real hospitals they were over there making TikToks, putting them on Twitter and even having senior staff applaud it. We couldn't stop to drink water some days lol.

• Like 1

So - this government will do pretty much anything, and promise pretty much anything, for a favourable headline, regardless of cost, safe in the knowledge that they’ll never be called out on not actually delivering on any promises they make, and that all most people will remember is the favourable headline?

Surely not.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

So - this government will do pretty much anything, and promise pretty much anything, for a favourable headline, regardless of cost, safe in the knowledge that they’ll never be called out on not actually delivering on any promises they make, and that all most people will remember is the favourable headline?

Surely not.

They will until the run up to the next election, i'm not really a voter as i see it as giving confidence to someone who can talk the talk and the promises either have a hidden catch or are just an out right lie, but i will defineatly be voting labour simply to try and remove these self serving, sneering tossers from power. I never thought Alan B'stard was actually real!

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

They will until the run up to the next election, i'm not really a voter as i see it as giving confidence to someone who can talk the talk and the promises either have a hidden catch or are just an out right lie, but i will defineatly be voting labour simply to try and remove these self serving, sneering tossers from power. I never thought Alan B'stard was actually real!

Looking at the Young Conservatives of the day, I knew that he was all-too accurate...

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Vote whoever is the most popular non-Tory party in your constituency.

I moved house recently and for me that's now the Lib Dems. Never voted them before but that's about to change.

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

you need the infrastructure in a hospital to deal with patients. these nightingales were glorified field hospitals - they were done to help calm the population given the concerns at the time

And I’m sure there was a nice little earner  for someone along the way 

Trust all the new FT scientists are watching the Richard Dimbleby Lecture with Dame Sarah Gilbert as she describes creating a Covid-19 vaccine in less than a year.

Just goes to show what actually happened behind the scenes and not what the media reported or as she quotes what the celebrity tik tok scientists fed their followers.