Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

She did your correct but you refer to something she said in early September & said at the time based on the information they had she didn't think we needed to give a 3rd jab to all but basically go through the same cycle as giving the 1st ie the old, those with weakened immune systems...however this has since changed due to the fluid nature of Covid & the introduction of the new Omicron varient (24th Nov) means that tweaks to our approach need to be made & until more is known we need to be cautious & take steps to slow down the spread of the new varient.

This isn't her being ignored or going back on what she previously said, this is her (& Scientists) adapting to changes in the way Covid is shaping up, which is 100% what should be happening & not staying static as Covid isn't.

The 2nd part remains the same in that vaccines need to be rolled out quicker around the world & as i understand it the UK is doing its part in gettings its own people vaccinated whilst securing & supplying vaccines for the "poorer" countries.

Tbh I wasn't actually knocking her, although my post did appear like I was. I've not actually heard her view now on this, has it changed since she made these comments a couple.of months ago? 

Am i still a covidiot for seeing how this OMICRON is playing out globally and concluding that it is evidence that the response from the start was over the top

..and don't give me that " wearing a mask is no imposition"...death by a thousand cuts all that stuff

And also don't resort to the cheap " try thinking about 

Super fit Mr Smith  who died of covid"..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Am i still a covidiot for seeing how this OMICRON is playing out globally and concluding that it is evidence that the response from the start was over the top

..and don't give me that " wearing a mask is no imposition"...death by a thousand cuts all that stuff

Well you are a bit strange if you think it’s a good idea to wait until the tornado actually arrives before trying to find the shelter rather than heading to the shelter when the warning arrives and then watching from the safety of the shelter ….. if the tornado doesn’t arrive then what have you lost ??

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Any more responses you’d like to try prohibiting?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Adrian said:

Yes. Don't reply. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adrian said:

Implying that you were previously? Not surprised to hear that. Yes you are for multiple reasons, but let's just take this one in isolation Science hasn't yet revealed what the effects are - so how is it, yet again, that a football forum knows better? Why are none of you people (thankfully in the minority), able to comprehend the danger of an emergent variant? 

It may indeed be the case that it is less severe that Delta and that the boosters perform very well - again we don't know, but real world data is indicating that it may have triple the rate of spread which by January, irrespective of the relative severity could be a very, very serious situation for our frontline healthcare services. It may not, but at this time of year, we need to be prepared. 

Increasingly there is a part of me that couldn't give two shits about people like you other than the clinical burden that you potentially represent and the threat that you pose to vulnerable members of society around you. Newsflash - nature couldn't give a **** about you either. 

Right now we simply need to monitor the situation carefully and double down on preventative measures/precautions. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey I've got feelings you know 🤣 .

There has to be room for some cynicism about the response but I'm certainly not suggesting covid should not  have been treated with a level of seriousness (proportionate to the problem)

Truth is my point of view is valid and it gets up some people's noses cos it doesn't fit their ideas of right and wrong it doesn't fit their values and agenda.(I'm thinking NHS flag wavers here you know the ones who get a bit too upset because of inequality etc..) They can't handle it so resort to name calling..covidiot etc...you wouldn't catch me calling these folks with coroner-boners names 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Well you are a bit strange if you think it’s a good idea to wait until the tornado actually arrives before trying to find the shelter rather than heading to the shelter when the warning arrives and then watching from the safety of the shelter ….. if the tornado doesn’t arrive then what have you lost ??

Me me me time

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Boris Johnson will brush it off and people will let him, despite all they've suffered in this past two years.

Him and his lot have gleefully taken the piss with the rest of us, and been caught numerous times, throughout this pandemic.

I basically watched my grandma die through a screen last year, but people will still give this spiv cvnt the benefit of the doubt because he's got a shit hairdo. It's beyond sickening.

I know the Con(+3) thing is a joke, but it's also true. This will have no effect on their political prospects.

Worse however, if Omicron does threaten the NHS then good luck getting the majority the comply. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Some cautious good news here though - this fella has been king of the stat crunchers during the pandemic. 

So if the problem is sheer numbers of people catching it, we (or the politicians) presumably have to decide do we let it rip and see how many people are affected, and get it over with in a few weeks;' or do we go back to lockdown for however long it takes for the pandemic to pass - perhaps another two years or so, perhaps longer.  (Perhaps shorter, though I doubt it.)

Maybe I'm selfish, but I am not willing to endure another couple of years of lockdown for the sake of people who are frightened of a little **** in the arm.  It's tough on the nurses, and perhaps they ought to rebuild and open the Nightingale hospitals with a basic skeleton staff so that the unvaccinated can take their chances there.  That is their choice, and they can bear the consequences of their decision.  But we can't have dementia sufferers locked up again, we can't have schools closing again, we can't afford more horrifically large public debt.  If we're all going to get it, let's get it over with rather than dragging it out for years.  Let the vaccine do its job.

If they come up with any empirical evidence that the disease is worse in the vaccinated than delta is, that changes it.  But I think they would have some evidence of that by now - all the evidence seems to point the other way.

2 hours ago, Adrian said:

Truth is my point of view is valid and it gets up some people's noses cos it doesn't fit their ideas of right and wrong

I think you’re being unfair to yourself.

I’d be very surprised if your point of view doesn’t meet most people’s idea of one of those two things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, martyn said:

20-40 times reduction in the effectiveness of Pfizer jab for Omicron Vs Initial strain. 

That's the sort of thing I don't like.  Vaccines against other variants provide something like 90% protection against death and serious illness.  Is Tom Clarke suggesting that this is 20-40 times less effective, ie. it provides 2-4% protection against death and serious illness?  If so, why does all the anecdotal and empirical evidence from South Africa contradict this?

It's one of my pet bugbears.  If someone says that in theory in lab experiments then this will happen, but in the real world it doesn't happen, then one of them is wrong.  And it is never the real world that is wrong.

Edited by dsr-burnley

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's the sort of thing I don't like.  Vaccines against other variants provide something like 90% protection against death and serious illness.  Is Tom Clarke suggesting that this is 20-40 times less effective, ie. it provides 2-4% protection against death and serious illness?  If so, why does all the anecdotal and empirical evidence from South Africa contradict this?

It's one of my per bugbears.  If someone says that in theory in lab experiments then this will happen, but in the real world it doesn't happen, then one of them is wrong.  And it is never the real world that is wrong.

You’ve changed your tune from your previous post. Let it rip as long as vaccines make you safe….oh actually 20-40 times less effective 😭 screw the dementia sufferers, the kids in school and rack up the public debt until I can get my booster 😂

11 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's one of my pet bugbears.  If someone says that in theory in lab experiments then this will happen, but in the real world it doesn't happen, then one of them is wrong.  And it is never the real world that is wrong.

I read as needing 20-40 times more antibodies to offer the same amount of protection as against the original strain. What that translates to as % reduction in efficiency I don't know 

I suspect that this refers to neutralising antibodies (i.e to do with the likelihood of infection). Would seem protection against severe illness is likely to stay pretty high.

• Like 1