Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

45 minutes ago, adam said:

Oh no he's off again. 

What part do you disagree with?

Was reported yesterday by the PM's office (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59563939) that Omicron appears more transmissible than Delta and will therefore likely become the dominant strain.  The January forecast is the same as what was briefed by the Welsh Health Minister (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59565670) and just suggests it'll be at it's peak in 6-8 weeks from now.  Noting about deaths, or restrictions, or inefficiency to vaccines, just a statement saying it'll be at it's worst at the end of January.

With respect to the working from home remark, I'm not an epidemiology forecasting expert unlike some in here, but if fewer people are mixing by working remotely, if they can, than I can't disagree that this will reduce infection rates.

And the final point regarding lockdown, yes one "might be possible" and it also might not happen.

Can you articulate what exactly was written that you have issue with aside from an individual you appear to not like has opened his mouth?  Worth remembering that he resigned from SAGE in March 2020.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, adam said:

Oh no he's off again. 

Is that the whole quote? 

I heard it on R4 this morning, but it was about boosters, no? 

Maybe a bit at the end about multiple solutions and working from home may reduce transmission - but that’s common sense, not screaming headline worthy. 

3 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

What part do you disagree with?

Was reported yesterday by the PM's office (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59563939) that Omicron appears more transmissible than Delta and will therefore likely become the dominant strain.  The January forecast is the same as what was briefed by the Welsh Health Minister (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59565670) and just suggests it'll be at it's peak in 6-8 weeks from now.  Noting about deaths, or restrictions, or inefficiency to vaccines, just a statement saying it'll be at it's worst at the end of January.

With respect to the working from home remark, I'm not an epidemiology forecasting expert unlike some in here, but if fewer people are mixing by working remotely, if they can, than I can't disagree that this will reduce infection rates.

And the final point regarding lockdown, yes one "might be possible" and it also might not happen.

Can you articulate what exactly was written that you have issue with aside from an individual you appear to not like has opened his mouth?  Worth remembering that he resigned from SAGE in March 2020.

It's his constant fear he pedals. Always calling for more restrictions. We don't even no how bad this will be so he should wait before he starts with his more restrictions and a new lockdown may be possible nonsense. 

We can't keep living like this. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, adam said:

It's his constant fear he pedals. Always calling for more restrictions. We don't even no how bad this will be so he should wait before he starts with his more restrictions and a new lockdown may be possible nonsense. 

He doesn't really have a say though and if he did then we'd most likely still be locked down.

He's a bloke with a spreadsheet at the end of the day and basically. He throw a few different numbers in to a spreadsheet and generates different graphs based on some variables changing. Then will present his little spreadsheet and it'll be one of many many many many things the decision makers will take into account before making any decisions.

Kate Ferguson is the person you should be taking issue with, he's not out there on zany youtube channels and putting his face on fake news channels telling people this and spreading fear. It's the media who like to make people feel as crap as possible by spreading any hint of bad news that they possibly can.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Living like what? 

We’re not in lockdown or curfew, unlike a number of other countries. 

Where in the quote is a lockdown mentioned? 

11 minutes ago, adam said:

He doesn't call for more restrictions. He merely models and projects what is likely to happen. You may suggest the final line says that he does but it's a shortened quotation without nuance. 

I can assure the scientists behind the government have probably advised for stronger restrictions all long but they don't make the decision. That's for Boris and his cabinet to decided. 

9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Do the government genuinely think people will follow the rumoured rules regarding vaccine passports and restrictions after the video leak tonight?

It's not a surprise they are breaking the rules.

Lead by someone who got asked 3 times to put a mask on in a hospital...

I guess some won't listen to them but think people will still stick to the rules - although maybe not if there are further restrictions. 

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

Living like what? 

We’re not in lockdown or curfew, unlike a number of other countries. 

Where in the quote is a lockdown mentioned? 

Living under the constant threat of being in lockdown. It might be OK for you but a lot of people's business and jobs end up knackered when people start calling for more restrictions. 

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Living under the constant threat of being in lockdown. It might be OK for you but a lot of people's business and jobs end up knackered when people start calling for more restrictions. 

Where is the constant threat of lockdown coming from? 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Where is the constant threat of lockdown coming from? 

That's all these people are worried about - themselves., as opposed to the constant threat to the vulnerable and our healthcare services from a viral pandemic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adam said:

You don’t have to talk about business concerns to me, bud. 

My entire client base was closed down - my business had zero turnover for about a year. 

But we’re not in lockdown. 

An advisor mentioned that boosters are a good idea, mixing spreads the virus and working from home might be a good option. 

It seems that some people took a nugget of that statement and ran with it in the most negative and damaging way possible. 

10 minutes ago, adam said:

No, you're living under the constant threat of a global virus mutating and that is what threatens our businesses and jobs. Nature couldn't care less. 

At this stage people are being urged to take whatever practical precautions that they can to guard against the spread of infection and the necessity for further measures. Do you have a problem with that? 

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Do you know how interviews work?

Asked if he could rule out a New Year lockdown, Prof Ferguson told BBC Radio 4: "At the moment it's very difficult to rule out anything, we really haven't got a good enough handle on the threat. Clearly if the consensus is it's highly likely that the NHS is overwhelmed then it will be for the government to decide what to do about that but it's a difficult situation to be in of course. It certainly might be possible at the current time."

9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Do the government genuinely think people will follow the rumoured rules regarding vaccine passports and restrictions after the video leak tonight?

I wake up this morning to the news the Johnson shower is to soon announce work from home orders, possible vaccine passports and more lockdowns. Well I for one won't be complying with any. And I suspect millions of others won't either. 

7 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I wake up this morning to the news the Johnson shower is to soon announce work from home orders, possible vaccine passports and more lockdowns. Well I for one won't be complying with any. And I suspect millions of others won't either. 

ikr! By far the best riposte to someone not following important and necessary rules for protecting public health is to not follow them yourself. That’ll learn ‘em. Stick it to the man!

(I do completely agree that they’re beyond useless though)

(The government, not measures to protect against the spread of covid)

Edited by Phil Bowman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I wake up this morning to the news the Johnson shower is to soon announce work from home orders, possible vaccine passports and more lockdowns. 

No you wake up to the news that there may be recommendations and advisories issued to work from home where possible, again the possibility of vaccine passports and the fact that future lockdowns in the new year cannot be ruled out. We simply don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Well I for one won't be complying with any. And I suspect millions of others won't either. 

Congratulations.

Don't then complain when these measures are more protracted than they might have been or that future restrictions are imposed upon you. 

• Like 1

A lot of corporate employers are already doing WFH orders - it was notably quieter on the trains into Birmingham yesterday and I managed to get a car on a city centre car park this morning. 

That isn't governmental mandated - it's businesses wanting to avoid their workforce being completely taken out by an outbreak and stop the business functioning. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No you wake up to the news that there may be recommendations and advisories issued to work from home where possible, again the possibility of vaccine passports and the fact that future lockdowns in the new year cannot be ruled out. We simply don't know. 

Congratulations.

Don't then complain when these measures are more protracted than they might have been or that future restrictions are imposed upon you. 

If this hopeless Johnson government impose these restrictions on society, again, and expects them to be followed. They should firstly adhere to them themselves. Which clearly they don't. I think peoples tolerance is wearing thin now, I know mine is.