Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

If this hopeless Johnson government impose these restrictions on society, again, and expects them to be followed. They should firstly adhere to them themselves. Which clearly they don't. I think peoples tolerance is wearing thin now, I know mine is. 

Absolutely. The damage that they have done is incalculable, but that is not in question. If these allegations are true, which appears to be the case, no one would disagree. Yes they should adhere to them themselves, but the guidance is informed by science not politicians . As yet science isn't telling us, so all the more reason to exercise caution. That your tolerance is wearing thin is understandable, but irrespective of their idiocy, blame a worldwide healthcare crisis, not the government. Simply because they flouted the rules and regulations that were imposed, doesn't mean that we should. Surely you are able to comprehend that? 

27 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I wake up this morning to the news the Johnson shower is to soon announce work from home orders, possible vaccine passports and more lockdowns. Well I for one won't be complying with any. And I suspect millions of others won't either. 

Viruses don't get tired. And they don't go away just because folks want them to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

If this hopeless Johnson government impose these restrictions on society, again, and expects them to be followed. They should firstly adhere to them themselves. Which clearly they don't. I think peoples tolerance is wearing thin now, I know mine is. 

Of course they should follow them themselves, but they’re self-regarding idiots. I abided and will abide by restrictions myself not just because some spivs, charlatans, crooks and liars in government told me to, but mainly because scientific research clearly agrees that they will help.

Refusing to abide by them because the people who issue the instructions are idiots seems the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. With the added disadvantage that it isn’t just your own nose and face at stake here.

• Like 1

I like to ask myself these questions, a sort of Covid 19 checklist to really get myself angry and worked up.

1) would you be willing to wear a mask if necessary every year for the rest of your life? 

2) would you be willing to co-operate with a lockdown or significant restrictions of some sort every year for however long it takes in order to not overwhelm our delicate existence, even if that's for the rest of your life?

37 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Booster jab booked in (I’m 36) for Saturday. Pfizer this time.

What’re the chances I’m going to be feeling rubbish for the Newcastle match?

Have you had an invite for this or just made your own enquiry? Is it now a free for all and anyone can book? I can't actually remember whats happening now other than boosters are being encouraged for all adults but is there a priority system for this?

6 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Think after nearly 2 years I've got it. Positive lateral flow yesterday so waiting for pcr result. Hoping I'll be alright, double jabbed and that. Just a bit of a shitter isn't it.

After the cricket last night can you please change your name to Engwin, FFS!!!

Get well soon mate

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A lot of corporate employers are already doing WFH orders - it was notably quieter on the trains into Birmingham yesterday and I managed to get a car on a city centre car park this morning. 

That isn't governmental mandated - it's businesses wanting to avoid their workforce being completely taken out by an outbreak and stop the business functioning. 

At my office with multiple thousands of people in most days, they've just dropped the requirement for masks in communal areas which seems counter intuitive.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I like to ask myself these questions, a sort of Covid 19 checklist to really get myself angry and worked up.

1) would you be willing to wear a mask if necessary every year for the rest of your life? 

2) would you be willing to co-operate with a lockdown or significant restrictions of some sort every year for however long it takes in order to not overwhelm our delicate existence, even if that's for the rest of your life?

Given the way you word your questions, I struggle to understand either how the answers could be anything other than ‘yes, of course’ or why the questions should get you so angry and worked up.

Unless you get angry and worked up about the people who might answer ‘no’ to your questions? In which case, fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Have you had an invite for this or just made your own enquiry? Is it now a free for all and anyone can book? I can't actually remember whats happening now other than boosters are being encouraged for all adults but is there a priority system for this?

I thought it was anyone over 40 could now get a booster, but it changes so fast I may well be out of date.

21 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Given the way you word your questions, I struggle to understand either how the answers could be anything other than ‘yes, of course’ or why the questions should get you so angry and worked up.

Unless you get angry and worked up about the people who might answer ‘no’ to your questions? In which case, fair enough.

I get angry and worked up at the possibility that we've got all this for years and years to come. 

I also get very worked up when I realise that we as a country will largely be told what to do, which is good up to a point. When you consider how abborhent this government is and yet we will still go along with shit, it gets me very angry for what might come as we continue in this never ending cycle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

That's all these people are worried about - themselves., as opposed to the constant threat to the vulnerable and our healthcare services from a viral pandemic. 

So what do we do then. Keep lockdown and keep bringing in measures  to protect the vulnerable and the health care services? Where is the money coming from for this. These restrictions affect people just as much as the pandemic. 

Edited by adam

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

No you wake up to the news that there may be recommendations and advisories issued to work from home where possible, again the possibility of vaccine passports and the fact that future lockdowns in the new year cannot be ruled out. We simply don't know. 

Congratulations.

Don't then complain when these measures are more protracted than they might have been or that future restrictions are imposed upon you. 

Everyone complied to the first two lockdowns (apart from the government) and where did that get us? straight into another one it looks like. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I get angry and worked up at the possibility that we've got all this for years and years to come.

I completely understand. But this really isn’t one of those things where we can ignore it and it’ll go away.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When you consider how abborhent this government is

Couldn’t agree more, but I really don’t think that justifies igoring them on the rare occasions that they (probably accidentally, and almost certainly unwillingly) introduce something that is a good idea.

Government policies, if crap, are crap because they’re crap, not because they come from a crap government - if that makes any sense?

Play the ball, not the man, kind of…

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I also get very worked up when I realise that we as a country will largely be told what to do, which is good up to a point. When you consider how abborhent this government is and yet we will still go along with shit, it gets me very angry for what might come as we continue in this never ending cycle.

It's knowing who/what to get angry with. If I'm going to get worked up about this then I direct it at the virus itself (the real enemy) and if that means following guidance to defeat it then so be it. 

11 minutes ago, adam said:

So what do we do then. Keep lockdown and keep bringing in measures  to protect the vulnerable and the health xare services? Where is the money coming from for this. These restrictions affect people just as much as the pandemic. 

And the alternative is...? Well the alternative is let the virus run rampant and suffer the collapse of the NHS whilst watching the bodies pile up on the street, as we saw in Brazil. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I completely understand. But this really isn’t one of those things where we can ignore it and it’ll go away.

Couldn’t agree more, but I really don’t think that justifies igoring them on the rare occasions that they (probably accidentally, and almost certainly unwillingly) introduce something that is a good idea.

Government policies, if crap, are crap because they’re crap, not because they come from a crap government - if that makes any sense?

Play the ball, not the man, kind of…

I think some very hard and horrible questions have to be asked though from the decision and rule makers.

If this isn't going away, which let's face it nobody knows. We are hoping that it mutates in to something that we can just let it run it's course to a point where its game on and ignorant is bliss, like everyone tended to live their lives pre 2020. 

If that isn't achievable though, what are the alternatives. We are essentially trying to protect a minority of people that cannot be protected without the detriment of the overwhelming majority but simply acknowledging that and washing our hands with it (excuse the pun) may lead to our health service being overwhelmed and then it's more than just a small minority that truly suffer. I think we can all agree that however frustrated we all get, you're a cretin if you think that's the way to go.

It's got to be somewhere between the two, we've got to get a better supported health system because all of this just highlights how delicate and finely poised our quality of life is, when a small minority of peoples health is at risk. The ramifications are huge and this is every bit as dangerous as the threat of any future wars, at least another world war and it would all be over very quickly for the vast majority of us.

Although this is going to sound outrageous. Do you know what I'd do? I'd create a drug or use an already developed drug to put the entire world in to hibernation for however long it would take for the virus to be decimated. There would need to be a skeleton amount of people remain awake and keeping things ticking over, but they all quarantine for 2 weeks prior to this so there's zero chance of them passing the virus around.

Then we all wake up and FCUKIN PLAY ON!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

It's knowing who/what to get angry with. If I'm going to get worked up about this then I direct it at the virus itself (the real enemy) and if that means following guidance to defeat it then so be it. 

I live by this mantra as a recovering compulsive gambler.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference

It usually helps keep me positive and in a good frame of mind but this continual all encompassing onslaught of what we're part of for the past 2 years, its hard to stick to that. I do question the rule makers on the basis of what the scientists provide, I do at times have selfish thoughts about the here, now and the future.

Idly comforting oneself that by doing what we can to help prevent this, to follow all the rules, have all the jabs etc and we'll all see the light at the 3nd of the tunnel very soon is as much fallacy as those who think this is all a hoax. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think some very hard and horrible questions have to be asked though from the decision and rule makers.

If this isn't going away, which let's face it nobody knows. We are hoping that it mutates in to something that we can just let it run it's course to a point where its game on and ignorant is bliss, like everyone tended to live their lives pre 2020. 

If that isn't achievable though, what are the alternatives. We are essentially trying to protect a minority of people that cannot be protected without the detriment of the overwhelming majority but simply acknowledging that and washing our hands with it (excuse the pun) may lead to our health service being overwhelmed and then it's more than just a small minority that truly suffer. I think we can all agree that however frustrated we all get, you're a cretin if you think that's the way to go.

It's got to be somewhere between the two, we've got to get a better supported health system because all of this just highlights how delicate and finely poised our quality of life is, when a small minority of peoples health is at risk. The ramifications are huge and this is every bit as dangerous as the threat of any future wars, at least another world war and it would all be over very quickly for the vast majority of us.

Although this is going to sound outrageous. Do you know what I'd do? I'd create a drug or use an already developed drug to put the entire world in to hibernation for however long it would take for the virus to be decimated. There would need to be a skeleton amount of people remain awake and keeping things ticking over, but they all quarantine for 2 weeks prior to this so there's zero chance of them passing the virus around.

Then we all wake up and FCUKIN PLAY ON!!!!!!

Wonder who would do that....Ah yes, the fvckin tory party, and they'd go round every bed and pick the pockets of those in hibernation.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

1) No

2) Probably Not

What I would want is the leaders of the world to work together totally openly and ensure that appropriate forces are mobilised to jab "everybody who needs it" as fast as possible, probably a couple of years so that the less medically protected nations do not give the virus the chance to take grip in another form & drive further excuses for Christmas parties during lockdowns. 

TBF if the leader of our nation is anything to go by why would any other nation trust us!!!  I read in the paper at the weekend there were 600m spare vaccines at some point in the summer, they should be shipped on to Africa, Asia to up their protection etc.  Omicrom has proved as Wuhan did, we are literally 7.9billion all in this together.

Then again I want us to beat Newcastle & I wanted us to win the 1st Ashes test in Brisbane.

What I also don't understand is WHY is the UK the country with the quickest uptake and most Omicrom cases outside of the source area, Ireland had 1, Austria 10 or something, UK 150.  Red Country list didn't work then.

We survived the Spanish Influenza crisis 1918, when 25-50m died, we can but hope we get there in the end but sadly it will just take time and people working together with best interests in mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

This.

Not only is it the right choice, it's the only rational one. 

However,  as mentioned above, there could well be too many people who simply do not grasp this idea and as such the more times we have to restrict things to fight this force of nature, the more likely failure becomes.

Therefore what Ric said makes sense in that of we really are in for the long haul, we must sort out our healthcare system in a way that means that "normal" life is affected as minimally as possible while keeping the thing at bay.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I live by this mantra as a recovering compulsive gambler.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference

It usually helps keep me positive and in a good frame of mind but this continual all encompassing onslaught of what we're part of for the past 2 years, its hard to stick to that. I do question the rule makers on the basis of what the scientists provide, I do at times have selfish thoughts about the here, now and the future.

Idly comforting oneself that by doing what we can to help prevent this, to follow all the rules, have all the jabs etc and we'll all see the light at the 3nd of the tunnel very soon is as much fallacy as those who think this is all a hoax. 

The feeling of lack of control in the face of nature is a bastard, isn't it?

But you and we can do this, because it must be done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

And the alternative is...? Well the alternative is let the virus run rampant and suffer the collapse of the NHS whilst watching the bodies pile up on the street, as we saw in Brazil. 

There is absolutely no chance ever in a billion years that would ever happen. We are a first world country with the ability to borrow trillions of pounds who pumps literally hundreds of billions of pounds into healthcare. If the nhs collapses multiple other companies would step into the void in a heartbeat. We aren’t Brazil. I’m not anti nhs by any means, it’s a wonderful service that we should be very grateful for. But the cold, hard facts are it’s a huge funding burden on taxpayers and misses pretty much every target it’s given