Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

24 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Yesterday I went out and it rained, so I put my hood up. I still got a bit wet, but not nearly as wet as I would have. Rain eased off, so I put my hood down again. Was getting a teeny bit wet, but nothing too bad really, and it was nicer than being all uncomfy inside my hood. But then the rain got stronger again. I didn’t bother with my hood this time. After all, where had it got me last time? Straight into needing it again, it looked like. I certainly don’t want to have my hood up for the rest of my life, so I’m not going to bother with it any more.

Yep because lockdowns have proven to work have they? 

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

There is absolutely no chance ever in a billion years that would ever happen. We are a first world country with the ability to borrow trillions of pounds who pumps literally hundreds of billions of pounds into healthcare. If the nhs collapses multiple other companies would step into the void in a heartbeat. We aren’t Brazil. I’m not anti nhs by any means, it’s a wonderful service that we should be very grateful for. But the cold, hard facts are it’s a huge funding burden on taxpayers and misses pretty much every target it’s given 

Is it really worth taking the chance?

1 minute ago, Munshi said:

Compared to nations that didn't in terms of preventing mass death, possibly.

Though of course there are many other factors at work there too.

23 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

And the alternative is...? Well the alternative is let the virus run rampant and suffer the collapse of the NHS whilst watching the bodies pile up on the street, as we saw in Brazil. 

The alternative is to have your 3 jabs and get on with life. It's impossible to keep going around in the same circle.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adam said:

The alternative is to have your 3 jabs and get on with life. It's impossible to keep going around in the same circle.  

It literally isn’t. You mean you don’t want to. Which may or may not be fair enough, and could certainly be discussed, but is a different thing.

47 minutes ago, adam said:

So what do we do then. Keep lockdown and keep bringing in measures  to protect the vulnerable and the health care services? Where is the money coming from for this. These restrictions affect people just as much as the pandemic. 

Of course they do - I completely agree. The affect on my life and my plans was particularly devastating. It is a very difficult balance. 

What do you mean "keep lockdown"? We are not in "lockdown". There is a possibility that Omicron may necessitate some form of firebreak at the very least, but we don't yet know. The current government is utterly opposed to the vaguest suggestion of any return to long-term restrictions. Regarding the future, again you fail to grasp the dynamic of the opposition, which is a global mutable viral infection. 

45 minutes ago, Munshi said:

Everyone complied to the first two lockdowns (apart from the government) and where did that get us? straight into another one it looks like. 

At this point, I'm actually unsure as to whether this post is genuine. 

11 minutes ago, Munshi said:

Oh for ****s sake, yes it was.

Serious question for you - are you genuinely that stupid?

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think some very hard and horrible questions have to be asked though from the decision and rule makers.

If this isn't going away, which let's face it nobody knows. We are hoping that it mutates in to something that we can just let it run it's course to a point where its game on and ignorant is bliss, like everyone tended to live their lives pre 2020. 

If that isn't achievable though, what are the alternatives. We are essentially trying to protect a minority of people that cannot be protected without the detriment of the overwhelming majority but simply acknowledging that and washing our hands with it (excuse the pun) may lead to our health service being overwhelmed and then it's more than just a small minority that truly suffer. I think we can all agree that however frustrated we all get, you're a cretin if you think that's the way to go.

It's got to be somewhere between the two, we've got to get a better supported health system because all of this just highlights how delicate and finely poised our quality of life is, when a small minority of peoples health is at risk. The ramifications are huge and this is every bit as dangerous as the threat of any future wars, at least another world war and it would all be over very quickly for the vast majority of us.

Although this is going to sound outrageous. Do you know what I'd do? I'd create a drug or use an already developed drug to put the entire world in to hibernation for however long it would take for the virus to be decimated. There would need to be a skeleton amount of people remain awake and keeping things ticking over, but they all quarantine for 2 weeks prior to this so there's zero chance of them passing the virus around.

Then we all wake up and FCUKIN PLAY ON!!!!!!

I was with you for the first 3/4 of this but the last bit is the ramblings of a maniac

13 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

So who thinks that should Johnson bring in vaccine passports for some settings, later, as seems likely. They'll be here for evermore and possibly extended? 

I can probably name them to a man.

19 minutes ago, adam said:

We aren't going round in the same circle though. The vaccination programme has been an extraordinary success. As I and many others explained on this thread last summer when someone pronounced that "covid was over four months ago", it is a global issue. If we need to institute regular boosters to drive down and defeat this foe, then so be it. There are many positive future scenarios but we are in a race against a shapeshifting foe. We cannot therefore rule out the possibility of a future variant emerging that is as infectious as Omicron appears to be and even more severe than Delta. That is the situation that nature has dealt us. 

Edited by Line-X

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Have you had an invite for this or just made your own enquiry? Is it now a free for all and anyone can book? I can't actually remember whats happening now other than boosters are being encouraged for all adults but is there a priority system for this?

GP sent me and the mrs texts yesterday to an online booking portal. Booked in first available date.

• Like 1

What an absolute disgrace this government is. I actually cannot fathom that these were partying whilst most of the country were enduring some of their darkest days. People were losing loved ones, businesses and children were missing out on vital education. Make no mistake, the government have annoyed me at many times throughout this pandemic but this tops it for me. 

Also, how blatantly obvious is it that new restrictions are being implemented merely because they got caught? They are covering their own backs. Journalists such as Newton-Dunn are even saying that the papers have not even been submitted to the Taskforce and the Health Secretary. 

How long is it until people say that enough is enough. I really do not think people appreciate how much accountability and basic respect for citizens has declined with Westminster. It has to stop and the first thing we need to do is to get Johnson and his cronies away from power ASAP.

11 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Found some old FT posts from the 1940s:

’We simply can’t go on with these restrictions. I’m not turning my lights off. It’s my choice after all.’

‘Air raid shelters clearly don’t work, the bombers just keep coming back.’

Completely different situations. WW2 affected everyone. Covid quite clearly and obviosuly disciminates, it overwhelmingly affects over 65s and the vulnerable.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Found some old FT posts from the 1940s:

’We simply can’t go on with these restrictions. I’m not turning my lights off. It’s my choice after all.’

‘Air raid shelters clearly don’t work, the bombers just keep coming back.’

Alternatively:

"We can't go on with restrictions to pay for that space mission to deflect that asteroid. It's my choice to let it land, after all"

• Like 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Completely different situations. WW2 affected everyone. Covid quite clearly and obviosuly disciminates, it overwhelmingly affects over 65s and the vulnerable.

The strain put on healthcare systems by this virus affects everyone. It is a highly relevant comparison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Under 65s are the Swiss perhaps?  Extraordinary comparison and one for for the clip book.

Edited by Zear0