Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

13 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Only watched the first five minutes,  but in that time the claim seems to be that the Government were secretly preparing for a pandemic,  that never happened.  Mr Looney by name Mr Looney by nature.

I take it as good news that the only stuff coming out of the news is theories, maybes and possibles. If Omicron was gonna be causing us some problems I think there'd be reports coming out on an hourly basis. Signs so far seem to point to the strain being much more virulent but much less dangerous. I guess it's a case of sitting on that for 3 or 4 weeks and see where we're at.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I take it as good news that the only stuff coming out of the news is theories, maybes and possibles. If Omicron was gonna be causing us some problems I think there'd be reports coming out on an hourly basis. Signs so far seem to point to the strain being much more virulent but much less dangerous. I guess it's a case of sitting on that for 3 or 4 weeks and see where we're at.

Here's hoping, because that would be the panacea that we're looking for.

It's also the way that viral events have largely ended in the past.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, filbertway said:

24 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Here's hoping, because that would be the panacea that we're looking for.

Can we define virulence ?  I thought virulence referred to the damage a virus can do.  Surely we want it to more transmissible but less virulent?.

On 08/12/2021 at 12:35, String fellow said:

Imo, what the world needs is a highly contagious variant that produces only very mild symptoms and drives away all other more dangerous variants. Could it be that omicron fits that charaterisation?

Some South African experts.are quite upbeat about Omicron. If it's not 'nature's vaccine', perhaps it's a significant step towards one.  

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I probably used the wrong word and @leicsmac probably chose not to correct me :D

TBH I didn't actually notice, it's been a long day lol

2 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Give Susan Michie a 'nudge', she'll explain it for you.

Speaking personally, I'd rather hear it from the good people on this thread.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Give Susan Michie a 'nudge', she'll explain it for you.

Isn't she an advisor for Sage? How is she influencing, say, Pedro Sanchez here in Spain, the person deciding upon the restrictions where I live? And all the other countries with similar restrictions but led by different individuals, from different political parties, with different ideals? 

I'd rather you explained it to me, I'm clearly missing something :dunno:

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I was going to ask abut this... I seem to recall that viruses typically weaken over time and there was even talk of this happening across a 2 year period typically. Have I made that up? Is Omicron actually the beginning of the end?

4 minutes ago, James. said:

I was going to ask abut this... I seem to recall that viruses typically weaken over time and there was even talk of this happening across a 2 year period typically. Have I made that up? Is Omicron actually the beginning of the end?

The 1918 Kansas (not Spanish) Flu pandemic ended that way and within that approximate timeframe. Ditto with other, smaller influenza-style epidemics since.

Just now, Farrington fox said:

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Isn't she an advisor for Sage? How is she influencing, say, Pedro Sanchez here in Spain, the person deciding upon the restrictions where I live? And all the other countries with similar restrictions but led by different individuals, from different political parties, with different ideals? 

Kindly answer this request.

12 minutes ago, James. said:

it really could be but we simply don't know and wont know for a while yet. just keep everything crossed for everyone on here who seem to think we've irreversibly entered an orwellian world ......... i still maintain that brexit has done more damage to our rights than covid ever will (ref the govt enormous majority)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, but the bubonic plague only ended when it ran out of hosts.

Indeed it did.

However, the bacterium Yersinia pestis and the family of coronaviruses are thankfully rather different to each other in that the latter is much simpler in terms of genetic structure and much more susceptible to mutations than the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

What restrictions are you under? Popping a mask on in the shops and working from home if you can aren't restrictions, so what can't you do? What exactly is being restricted? 

The ability to go into work?  Is that not a restriction?  You answered your own question. 

• Haha 1

To add to the above, I'm going to repeat that I simply don't get how people fear people and what they can do more than nature and what it can do when all empirical evidence suggests it is much crueller and more efficient at killing than the very worst excesses of humans could ever aspire to be.

I'm still looking for an explanation on that one, if anyone might oblige.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, James. said:

I'm no scientist and a lot of factors are still unclear but......

My understanding is that Omicron might be simultaneously very BAD news in the short-term and very GOOD news in the long-term.

- Bad news in the short-term because, even if Omicron is much less deadly than Delta, if it's much more transmissible and millions get it within weeks, then we'll have a big spike in hospitalisations, ICU cases and deaths. The proportion of infections leading to hospitalisation or death might be much lower than with Delta, but if the absolute number of infections is much higher then the NHS could still be swamped. In turn, that could disrupt healthcare & the economy, cause another lockdown etc.

- Good news in the long-term because herd immunity would be greatly boosted without risking illness and death on the scale that would be caused by a more lethal variant. And, more importantly, Omicron would remain the dominant variant unless another mutation created an even more infectious variant.....which would only be bad news if it was also more lethal (our luck isn't going to get that bad, is it? :fc:).

Of course, we don't yet know that Omicron is going to be less lethal and many other factors affect outcomes. But if it is more transmissible and less lethal (the likely situation?), this bad-but-good-news scenario is a logical outcome, isn't it?

I appreciate that we can't make direct comparisons between outcomes in S. Africa and the UK, due to differences in average age, vaccination rate, climate/society etc.

But figures for serious illness and death in S. Africa in the next 2-3 weeks will be some sort of indicator of what to expect in the UK, won't they? 

Case numbers in S. Africa are rocketing, hospitalisations are sharply up - and we know there's a time lag before any increase in deaths, but if deaths in S. Africa do NOT increase sharply within 3 weeks, that'll be rather good news....:fc:

(Scientists, please correct any bollocks I've spouted there! :D)

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

Don't Sage influence government decision making!

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

...world government decision making?

I think more explanation might be required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1