Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

12 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Why? The first 2 doses apparently does nothing to help with the 'omicron' varient, and the booster only has a 75% success rate? What's the point. 

I think you’ve answered your own question there, isn’t 75% success pretty good?

If the success rate for a medical treatment was 75%, would you say “no thanks, that’s not good enough”?

Guest Harrydc
15 minutes ago, reporterpenguin said:

I think you’ve answered your own question there, isn’t 75% success pretty good?

If the success rate for a medical treatment was 75%, would you say “no thanks, that’s not good enough”?

How can you compare this vaccine to a medical treatment? 

I wouldn't take paracetamol before I get a headache incase I get a headache.

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

How can you compare this vaccine to a medical treatment? 

I wouldn't take paracetamol before I get a headache incase I get a headache.

I didn’t, so let’s try something else. 

If seat belts reduced your risk of serious injury by 75%, would you not bother with one?

I know how much this pandemic has affected you from reading this thread Harry, I really do feel for you. But using the fact that the booster is “only” 75% effective as a stick to beat it with just isn’t objective or reasonable. 

32 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Why? The first 2 doses apparently does nothing to help with the 'omicron' varient, and the booster only has a 75% success rate? What's the point. 

The point is that IF you are vaccinated, and then you are infected with covid, you have a 75% chance of not knowing you have had anything. On the other hand, you have a 25% chance of having symptoms most likely similar to a bad cold. 

If a vaccine changes the outcome of your infection from death to symptoms of a heavy cold, isn't that a good enough result? 

That's the problem with reports, possibly from ignoramuses rather than from malicious reporters, about this 75% being totally clear of symptoms. They report it as if mild symptoms are a bad thing. They would never, for example, hint at chemotherapy being a thing cancer patients should avoid because it makes you feel sick. 

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, reporterpenguin said:

I didn’t, so let’s try something else. 

If seat belts reduced your risk of serious injury by 75%, would you not bother with one?

I know how much this pandemic has affected you from reading this thread Harry, I really do feel for you. But using the fact that the booster is “only” 75% effective as a stick to beat it with just isn’t objective or reasonable. 

But talk of making something mandatory  and excluding people from society for something with a 75% chance of helping you survive was why I used the word 'only'. 

7 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

But talk of making something mandatory  and excluding people from society for something with a 75% chance of helping you survive was why I used the word 'only'. 

Do you not understand that it is the impact on wider society of non vaccination that is the reason for exclusions being considered.  Or are you only concerned for the individual.  

Guest Harrydc
3 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Do you not understand that it is the impact on wider society of non vaccination that is the reason for exclusions being considered.  Or are you only concerned for the individual.  

The fact that the the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 is supposed to prevent vaccines being made mandatory yet they're still being considered shows how sinister it really is.

The world is fvucked. 

22 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It isn’t a 75% chance of helping you survive. If it were, that would mean at least 25% of vaccinated people (and nearly all unvaccinated) would die, which would be millions of people just in this country. It’s a 75% chance of pretty much stopping you being very poorly.

At least I think that’s the gist of it.

11 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

The fact that the the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 is supposed to prevent vaccines being made mandatory yet they're still being considered shows how sinister it really is.

The world is fvucked. 

I have yet to see anyone suggesting the forced vaccination of anyone,  certainly not me.  But I see no problem.with those who refuse to act, in an emergency,  in the best interests of society, suffering the consequences.  

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

I have yet to see anyone suggesting the forced vaccination of anyone,  certainly not me.  But I see no problem.with those who refuse to act, in an emergency,  in the best interests of society, suffering the consequences.  

It's making them mandatory in a round about way or do you not see that? 

If you stopped people going to the supermarket for example without a vaccine then they're not mandatory, but it doesn't leave you with more choice. It's honestly disgusting what they're doing and it makes me sick to my stomach. I hate this world with a passion. 

7 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Reading today they're on about shutting the pubs, if they do that in the 3 week gap between jobs for me then I am well and truly up the creek. They won't shut the pubs, will they? 

Where did you read it?

5 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It's making them mandatory in a round about way or do you not see that? 

If you stopped people going to the supermarket for example without a vaccine then they're not mandatory, but it doesn't leave you with more choice. It's honestly disgusting what they're doing and it makes me sick to my stomach. I hate this world with a passion. 

I see exactly what you see,  but have no principled objection to it.  

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, Robo61 said:

I see exactly what you see,  but have no principled objection to it.  

So you'd be quite happy to see the unvaccinated starve to death with them being unable to go to a supermarket? 

Jesus christ give me strength. 

36 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

So you'd be quite happy to see the unvaccinated starve to death with them being unable to go to a supermarket? 

Jesus christ give me strength. 

A bit of an over reaction.

I agree that there shouldn’t be mandatory vaccines and I’ve had my two

Edited by fox_favourite

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Well firstly the new variant has come from a country with a 23% vaccination rate. That where they come from, where the virus is allowed the pass through large numbers of the population when unvaccinated. And because that's been allowed to happen, the original vaccines are less effective against, because its new. They can't create a vaccine against something that doesn't exist.

As for the 75%, whilst that's not 90% plus like previous, it's a damn site better than 0% which is what being unvaccinated gives you.

Guest Harrydc
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

The **** are you on about, it’s not even a thing or a proposed thing.

I used it as an example of making vaccines mandatory in a round about way. What's your problem. 

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

four months + after the second dose Harry.  If you have two jabs over the next couple months you will be well protected against omicron. The boosters are required by those whose immunity has waned because their second jabs were more than four months ago. 

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

If r=2.5 and there are 500,000 cases on 1st January, then by the end of the month we will all be catching it 3 times a day. Which shows the pointlessness of just multiplying the figures without considering other factors. 

of course we reach a point where R drops simply because there aren’t enough ‘welcoming’  hosts for the virus to infect. I don’t think we would see real cases (rather than recorded cases) actually reach 500k. On reflection they would probably struggle to get above 300k daily. The numbers requiring hospitalisation would still be eye watering on simple ratio application. 

59 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The UK HSA "experts" are already out by a factor of 15.  

Must be the masks...!

Come on mate, you know that they aren’t recording omicron cases because the labs aren’t all able to do so and they can’t keep up with the amount of work required. And there are lots of differing predictions with differing scenarios as a basis. They will concentrate on certain areas to see how omicron is expanding in those and extrapolate. Yesterday was 8k up on the previous Friday so something is afoot ……

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I used it as an example of making vaccines mandatory in a round about way. What's your problem. 

You being an idiot, that’s my problem. 

An example would be something someone has done and not a figment of your wild imagination. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Haha 1