Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You being an idiot, that’s my problem. 

An example would be something someone has done and not a figment of your wild imagination. 

Look at places like Austria, Cyprus, Germany, Australia and then tell me its a 'figment of my imagination'. 

21 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I used it as an example of making vaccines mandatory in a round about way. What's your problem. 

Even in your extreme example, they wouldn't starve to death because surely they'd order deliveries to their home?

4 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

No need for panic. calm down. 

has anyone here even been hospitalised with omicron yet?

You know what 200 deaths a day over 120 days is 24,000 people, not much more than you’d get with what we average now. 

They presented numerous scenarios, that being one of them…. stop looking at the headlines (not written by them) and read what they actually say. 

12 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

No need for panic. calm down. 

has anyone here even been hospitalised with omicron yet?

I’m sure that steep rise in cases and those hospitalised is a coincidence.

Even of its less severe, with it being so transmissible that’s really bad in terms of essential services being flooded and it can be for deaths also…

” even a 30% more transmissible variant can be way worse than a variant that is 30% more deadly. At the heart of this counter-intuitive assertion lies an old foe that has plagued us right from the start of this pandemic: exponential growth. Here’s a simple thought experiment that helps to explain why.

Imagine the old variant spreading under measures that have reduced R to 1. Starting with 10,000 infected people, every generation interval (time becoming infected and infecting someone else) they will infect 10,000 more. Of everyone that gets infected, let’s assume that 1% of them will die. After ten generations, 100,000 new infections will have occurred leading to 1,000 deaths. 

With a variant that is 30% more deadly, the same number of infections will occur, but they will lead to 1,300 deaths. Yet with a variant that is 30% more transmissible but not more deadly, because cases will grow exponentially, the eventual death toll over the same period stretches to over 4,200. The longer this goes on for, the bigger the death toll discrepancy between the more transmissible and the more deadly strain becomes.”

4C180B04-0CEC-48B1-91E4-C5E5E2F1EC5F.webp

3 hours ago, reporterpenguin said:

I think you’ve answered your own question there, isn’t 75% success pretty good?

If the success rate for a medical treatment was 75%, would you say “no thanks, that’s not good enough”?

It's not actually that good, as it still means 15-20m will be susceptible to it and even just 1% of those being seriously ill/snuffing it is grim. Needs to be 85-90% minimum if its anywhere near as virulent as Delta.

4 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Why? The first 2 doses apparently does nothing to help with the 'omicron' varient, and the booster only has a 75% success rate? What's the point. 

Do you actually understand what you wrote here?

I really would love to see you, or in fact anyone, attempt to rationalise why a 75% chance of success is so insignificant as to be considered negligible. 

This has gone from arbitrarily questioning the scientists and their research to arguing against how core mathematical functions work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They will still want to see how our demographics perform as there are lots of differences …….but the hope that many of us had when we got initial information about omicron could well be borne out …… fingers crossed 

I believe we’ll have restrictions before we find out to be honest. 

I also wonder how much our scientific community will trust their ‘models’ over real world evidence from Africa (because it’s Africa, they’ll probably ignore it). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I believe we’ll have restrictions before we find out to be honest. 

I also wonder how much our scientific community will trust their ‘models’ over real world evidence from Africa (because it’s Africa, they’ll probably ignore it). 

There will surely be data from other parts of the globe by the time we get to Xmas /new year week. I can’t see the govt bringing in any firebreak till after new year …..

Big demo here where I am in Spain tonight. Thousands protesting the Covid pass and vaccine to the kids which starts here next week. Young and old gathered and a lot more than I thought in attendance. libertad, libertad echoed around the main Plaza. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Soup said:

Big demo here where I am in Spain tonight. Thousands protesting the Covid pass and vaccine to the kids which starts here next week. Young and old gathered and a lot more than I thought in attendance. libertad, libertad echoed around the main Plaza. 

Is that the one in Valencia? 

45 minutes ago, kingfox said:

A lot of Data like this going around, our media and scientists won’t push this potentially promising narrative though, they’d rather concentrate on scaremongering and worst case scenarios.

Or, in the case of the scientists (who know better than you or me, by the way) they're just going to be cautious.