Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, reynard said:

I'm not sure that is actually completely true. I think what happens is scientists run projected models based on data and they produce several possible scenarios. Then the press pick up on them and inevitably focus on the most dramatic for the best headlines. It wouldn't be much clickbait or headline making if the media picked up on very few people expected to die angle.

Not saying some projections aren't very incorrect in the end but I don't think it as simple a scientists, themselves, concentrating on the worst case scenarios.

It isn't.

Science is all abut projections, probabilities and what we know now rather than what we knew before or what we might know tomorrow. It's a process that is always in flux - especially on a novel matter like this.

Unfortunately, people sometimes tend to associate such flux with moral weakness, as if changing minds with changing data is somehow the wrong thing to do. I guess people desire certainty - the dogma of organised religion that is so popular in many places tends to be predicated upon that, after all.

• Like 3

Let's say this Pandemic is all but done and dusted by this time next year. It is still around but not causing 50k infections most days and hospitals don't have any more demand from covid patients than say patients with Flu. Annual vaccination is recommended but not mandated same as the flu vaccination.

Who believes that in such a scenario, all restrictions including vaccine passports will be completely removed and that life will return to 2019 normal.

2 hours ago, reynard said:

I'm not sure that is actually completely true. I think what happens is scientists run projected models based on data and they produce several possible scenarios. Then the press pick up on them and inevitably focus on the most dramatic for the best headlines. It wouldn't be much clickbait or headline making if the media picked up on very few people expected to die angle.

Not saying some projections aren't very incorrect in the end but I don't think it as simple a scientists, themselves, concentrating on the worst case scenarios.

But it is though isn’t it.

All you need to do is look at their messaging in the media, or whatever they say when they pop up for a TV interview, as I said, it’s always the constant case of “Could”, but when they say that, it always happens to be the worst case of “Could” that they push.

Yes they have their projections, but throughout our waves so far, have any of their projections matched the scaremongering projections that they’ve dished out? No they haven’t.

Now we are in the exact same stage again, new variant comes along, the panic sets in, the scaremongering starts, the scaremongering projections pop up and we’re pretty much back to square one.

It’s reached the point where who knows what to think anymore, they could end up being right this time, but if they are wrong again, then thankfully it will be a good thing, but it will also mean that Sage and their cronies have talked absolute shit...again.

10 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Let's say this Pandemic is all but done and dusted by this time next year. It is still around but not causing 50k infections most days and hospitals don't have any more demand from covid patients than say patients with Flu. Annual vaccination is recommended but not mandated same as the flu vaccination.

Who believes that in such a scenario, all restrictions including vaccine passports will be completely removed and that life will return to 2019 normal.

I do.

And if it isn't the case, you can vote for a party that will remove those restrictions as they would clearly be unnecessary at that point and would result in the party pressing them haemorrhaging votes as people would (rightly) think them an unnecessary intrusion.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

But it is though isn’t it.

All you need to do is look at their messaging in the media, or whatever they say when they pop up for a TV interview, as I said, it’s always the constant case of “Could”, but when they say that, it always happens to be the worst case of “Could” that they push.

Yes they have their projections, but throughout our waves so far, have any of their projections matched the scaremongering projections that they’ve dished out? No they haven’t.

Now we are in the exact same stage again, new variant comes along, the panic sets in, the scaremongering starts, the scaremongering projections pop up and we’re pretty much back to square one.

It’s reached the point where who knows what to think anymore, they could end up being right this time, but if they are wrong again, then thankfully it will be a good thing, but it will also mean that Sage and their cronies have talked absolute shit...again.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It isn't.

Science is all abut projections, probabilities and what we know now rather than what we knew before or what we might know tomorrow. It's a process that is always in flux - especially on a novel matter like this.

Unfortunately, people sometimes tend to associate such flux with moral weakness, as if changing minds with changing data is somehow the wrong thing to do. I guess people desire certainty - the dogma of organised religion that is so popular in many places tends to be predicated upon that, after all.

As above.

Additionally, I've heard similar screeds disparaging scientific practice regarding climate change, and am always reminded of the ending of the Boy Who Cried Wolf - the wolf does come and everyone starves to death.

Sooner or later, people have to take some things on faith and trust in fellow human beings as no one can know everything.

13 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Me. I also thought Covid passports allowed for a test or proof of recovery as well, so they're not exclusively for the vaccinated? Or is that not the case? 

28 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Me. I also thought Covid passports allowed for a test or proof of recovery as well, so they're not exclusively for the vaccinated? Or is that not the case? 

They do, at the moment. I still don’t get the logic of vaccinated people not needing to test, seems mad to me. 

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

That's the dream scenario, but we won't get there anytime soon without a vaccine mandate.

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I must admit I’m scratching my head to identify what they’ve found that can be so concern given reports elsewhere our expected outcomes 

It's as if he feels he needs to make announcements to push other articles down the bulletin board...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Apparently it’s about the booster programmme. What awful ****ing leadership. Just randomly announce a conference at the tail end of the weekend when most people are at home. What a dick head - nothing that can’t be done at 11am tomorrow morning 

Gotta bury the party news somehow. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I must admit I’m scratching my head to identify what they’ve found that can be so concerning given reports elsewhere are expected outcomes 

They've got a backlash coming about Plan B restrictions before they've even been voted on, they won't do anything more right now.

My son has covid, no idea what variant. Had a PCR test this morning but still waiting confirmation. Does anyone know if this means that I need to isolate or not? 
I know when my daughter had it in September I didn’t have too as I’m double jabbed but I’m not sure if it’s changed given the new implementations.

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Apparently it’s about the booster programmme. What awful ****ing leadership. Just randomly announce a conference at the tail end of the weekend when most people are at home. What a dick head - nothing that can’t be done at 11am tomorrow morning 

Or maybe he’s going to do a live Sunday quiz night with us all.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My son has covid, no idea what variant. Had a PCR test this morning but still waiting confirmation. Does anyone know if this means that I need to isolate or not? 
I know when my daughter had it in September I didn’t have too as I’m double jabbed but I’m not sure if it’s changed given the new implementations.

I think you have to regularly test yourself now