Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Not if the symptoms in most cases are a mild illness that can be treated at home. I expect more data on this in the coming days.

It may will do despite this purely by virtue of the much higher infection rate and the sheer numbers affected, the fact that Delta is still the dominant strain and given that this is the busiest time of the year for the NHS. This has happened at the worst possible time of year. The prospect of this is precisely what we are attempting to guard against. It could well be the case that in the majority of cases Omicron does not result in hospital referrals but it could still be significant for the unvaccinated and those that have not had a booster. We are only three weeks in and as I have consistently said - in the absence of real world data, right now, we simply don't know. That's precisely the point. If it is indeed milder, as has been repeatedly pointed out over the last fortnight on this thread, this variant could be a blessing in disguise.  

I'll say again, whilst mass vaccination continues to evade many parts of the world, these variants will continue to arrive on our shores. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

It’s like nothing else matters. Cancer doesn’t stop while they’re hurriedly jabbing folk, which incidentally costs 450 lives every single day. 

I've a feeling this may have been mentioned before on here, but let's do it again anyway. If, and it is only if but looking pretty likely with the way Omicron is spreading, the NHS becomes overwhelmed with covid cases it won't matter what you have, heart attack, stroke, road accident, appendicitis, you won't be getting the care you normally would. You'll possibly die in the back of an ambulance before you even make it inside the hospital though. 

Get as many people boosted as possible to try and avoid that is the sensible thing to do I would have thought. 

46 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

it would probably protect them against the new variant.. not everyone can handle the virus the same as others.. 

I've not had the vaccines but im considering having them although I generally feel fine so still undecided .. I don't know if the effects of these variants will cause longer term damage in the long run hence considering them but I don't know

This version is so infectious and transmissible that you will almost certainly come into contact with some one who has it by the end of the year. Unless you live the life of a hermit you have a very high chance of catching this new variant. 

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've a feeling this may have been mentioned before on here, but let's do it again anyway. If, and it is only if but looking pretty likely with the way Omicron is spreading, the NHS becomes overwhelmed with covid cases it won't matter what you have, heart attack, stroke, road accident, appendicitis, you won't be getting the care you normally would. You'll possibly die in the back of an ambulance before you even make it inside the hospital though. 

Get as many people boosted as possible to try and avoid that is the sensible thing to do I would have thought. 

Thank God some people get this!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

This version is so infectious and transmissible that you will almost certainly come into contact with some one who has it by the end of the year. Unless you live the life of a hermit you have a very high chance of catching this new variant. 

ive probably caught every variant out there tbh I work with different people from all over the country and have since it started as with probably anyone else working in construction.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'll say again, whilst mass vaccination continues to evade many parts of the world, these variants will continue to arrive on our shores. 

So what's the solution to getting the vaccine to poorer nations? & given that we are now dishing out Vax#3 do you think this is taking vaccines away from other counties?

*Genuine question, I'm not trying to be obtuse.

Oh come on you gotta admit this pandemic science / response is getting a little  weird now...

Media..selfish liars 

Religion..dangerous influence 

Politicians..corrupt 

Van drivers..rascists

Doctors and science..nice guys..custodians Of truth

😂😂😂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

So he’s just saying exactly what he did at the start of the year, which ended up leading to jabs being rendered useless within six months.

What happens when Vaccine efficacy wanes from this one or another variant comes along?

CEO of Pfizer is already pushing for 4th jabs, will we have to get 5th, 6th, 7th jabs.

Where does the buck stop with all of this, we’ve been going round in circles ever since this began.

Have you never heard of flu vaccines?

This will become endemic and once we get there we will need annual vaccinations to combat what will likely be an ever evolving virus, It is what these viruses do.

People need to understand this is a new virus against which the human population had absolutely zero immunity. We've come along way along that path but not yet far enough I'm afraid. Fortunately we have vaccines that can, in the scheme of vaccines, be quickly altered to combat new variants.

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

So what's the solution to getting the vaccine to poorer nations? & given that we are now dishing out Vax#3 do you think this is taking vaccines away from other counties?

*Genuine question, I'm not trying to be obtuse.

Absolutely, I understand that. 

As I said, de-regulation of intellectual property allowing local mass-manufacture, An end to stockpiling and fair/affordable pricing. You will always have issues of access to healthcare and nationally, inequality in some regions and countries but the global failure to share vaccines equitably is taking its toll on some of the world’s most impoverished and most vulnerable people. New variants of concern mean that the risks of infection have increased in all countries for people who are not yet protected by vaccination but also that the virus will continue to mutate. It's a vicious circle. 

There are enough doses of vaccines globally to drive down transmission. The global targets can only be achieved if the countries and companies that control vaccine supply put contracts for COVAX and the African Vaccine Acquisition Trust – or AVAT – first for deliveries and donated doses. We have the tools and means to bring the pandemic under control, if we use them properly and share them fairly. Vaccine equity will ultimately accelerate the end of this crisis.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Line-X said:

This is what a virus does and this is what it will continue to do as I have been reminding the same people all year - this...is...a...global...crisis. How many more times does it need to be said? 

The key is global vaccination - because if you can drive down infection then the less it will mutate and fewer variants will emerge. However whilst Big Pharma and the western world continue to monopolise and drive up prices and intellectual property continues to prevent mass manufacture then this will continue to happen. 

Judging by comments on Youtube from the latest announcement, i'm pretty sure this is unachievable.

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

As I said, de-regulation of intellectual property allowing local mass-manufacture, An end to stockpiling and fair/affordable pricing. You will always have issues of access to healthcare and nationally, inequality in some regions and countries but the global failure to share vaccines equitably is taking its toll on some of the world’s most impoverished and most vulnerable people. New variants of concern mean that the risks of infection have increased in all countries for people who are not yet protected by vaccination but also that the virus will continue to mutate. It's a vicious circle. 

There are enough doses of vaccines globally to drive down transmission. The global targets can only be achieved if the countries and companies that control vaccine supply put contracts for COVAX and the African Vaccine Acquisition Trust – or AVAT – first for deliveries and donated doses. We have the tools and means to bring the pandemic under control, if we use them properly and share them fairly. Vaccine equity will ultimately accelerate the end of this crisis.

Ok, playing devils advocate, does big pharma have a vested intrest in keeping "Covid relevent".

Big Pharma could surely donate to poorer nations off their own back, or is it more complicated than that?

12 minutes ago, reynard said:

Have you never heard of flu vaccines?

This will become endemic and once we get there we will need annual vaccinations to combat what will likely be an ever evolving virus, It is what these viruses do.

People need to understand this is a new virus against which the human population had absolutely zero immunity. We've come along way along that path but not yet far enough I'm afraid. Fortunately we have vaccines that can, in the scheme of vaccines, be quickly altered to combat new variants.

Which leads to my point of the never ending cycle.

Three doses have already been administered for this not even in the space of a year, two doses of which have now been rendered useless after six months.

It’s alright saying we have vaccines that can be altered quickly, this could end up being a never ending cycle that lasts for years and years.

A 4th dose, 5th dose, 6th dose, 7th dose, maybe before it potentially turns into an annual vaccination.

It could potentially get even more ludicrous where more people just won’t comply, global vaccination for instance will never be achieved.

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Ok, playing devils advocate, does big pharma have a vested intrest in keeping "Covid relevent".

Big Pharma could surely donate to poorer nations off their own back, or is it more complicated than that?

Far too many areas of global business are incapable of seeing anything beyond immediate profit and their own preservation - in spite of lip service to sustainability. Look no further than climate change. 

17 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I coach a business owner in Cape Town SA. He's white, wealthy, privileged, and knows it.

We were talking recently about the vaccine over there and he pretty much said if you're white, have a few quid, and live in the right areas you'll be O.K. - otherwise, you're probably screwed.

Really hit home to me how blessed we are with the vaccination programme over here. 

P.S. I see @Sly is located in SA so maybe he can confirm if true or not...

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Of course big Pharma have a vested interest in keeping Covid relavant.  They make billions by people being sick!

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I coach a business owner in Cape Town SA. He's white, wealthy, privileged, and knows it.

We were talking recently about the vaccine over there and he pretty much said if you're white, have a few quid, and live in the right areas you'll be O.K. - otherwise, you're probably screwed.

Really hit home to me how blessed we are with the vaccination programme over here. 

P.S. I see @Sly is located in SA so maybe he can confirm if true or not...

I’m in the UK. 

My father is South African. 

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

Of course big Pharma have a vested interest in keeping Covid relavant.  They make billions by people being sick!

They also invest huge amounts into research and making people better.

The particular issues that we are discussing here concern pricing, profit and intellectual property.

2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Which leads to my point of the never ending cycle.

Three doses have already been administered for this not even in the space of a year, two doses of which have now been rendered useless after six months.

It’s alright saying we have vaccines that can be altered quickly, this could end up being a never ending cycle that lasts for years and years.

A 4th dose, 5th dose, 6th dose, 7th dose, maybe before it potentially turns into an annual vaccination.

It could potentially get even more ludicrous where more people just won’t comply, global vaccination for instance will never be achieved.

Yes you could well be right but eventually it will be annual because we will be able to develop vaccines that deal with multi variants.

The two doses have not been useless though have they? They have prevented a great many deaths and a great many hospitalisations. They may now be becoming less efficient but that was always likely to be the case I'm afraid.

The public needs to wise up that we're far from out of the woods yet. This could be long long haul and could take another 3-5 years to resolve or, if we are lucky, the worst might be over in another 18 months. 

We just have to keep going and do what is required to combat this disease. After all it took over 200 years to eradicate smallpox.

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

They also invest huge amounts into research and making people better.

The particular issues that we are discussing here concern pricing, profit and intellectual property.

But the question was "does big pharma have a vested intrest in keeping "Covid relevent".  Surely big pharma would be rubbing thier hands together if people need 4 or 5 vaccines a year?

• Like 1