Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Fortunately the NHS has had two years to get ready for this. Two years ago they were very short of capacity and couldn't improvise on the hoof. Now, with two years planning behind them, they will have scope for dealing with a covid rush while having less impact on other areas. And found a way to improve the conditions for the medical staff too.

Won't they? 

Not when they get given a days notice to deliver 1m vaccines per day?! 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

GP's are absolutely loving this booster programme. Got absolutely no problem being face to face with thousands upon thousands of the public at £15 a pop. I wonder if there message instead was that GP's needed to turn their hand to helping clear the backlog in secondary care they'd be quite as happy eh?

Why on earth hasn't there been a bigger drive to get other platforms to administer these vaccinations? It really doesn't require a GP or a GP premises to do so. 

I doubt the GPs will see anyone. Jabs are normally given by the practice nurses, who as far as I can see have been working normally, more or less. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

GP's are absolutely loving this booster programme. Got absolutely no problem being face to face with thousands upon thousands of the public at £15 a pop. I wonder if there message instead was that GP's needed to turn their hand to helping clear the backlog in secondary care they'd be quite as happy eh?

Why on earth hasn't there been a bigger drive to get other platforms to administer these vaccinations? It really doesn't require a GP or a GP premises to do so. 

I don’t think they are loving it. I’m pretty sure it’s a massive additional workload for a practice, and probably makes it very difficult to maintain a lot of the routine care they provide.

Also your post gives the impression that this payment goes straight into individual GP’s pockets - I’m pretty sure it’s to cover the costs to the practice.

Finally, no, of course it doesn’t require either a GP or a GP practice. But - maybe this will change if they need to vaccinate millions of people in a few days! - it isn’t generally GPs themselves who are administering vaccines. Also, GP practices have staff who are experienced in giving injections, and they have people’s contact details and medical records, so it does make a lot of sense to use them for something like this.

Javid likes making a bold statement without really thinking about implications doesn’t he? 

Last week, we had a million cases today. 
Today, we have 200k cases. 
He’s announced that lateral flows every day if a close contact of a case - they aren’t no lateral flows to order 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

They will be 3 for 2 in Asda soon. Once those on the check out have been trained up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Fortunately the NHS has had two years to get ready for this. Two years ago they were very short of capacity and couldn't improvise on the hoof. Now, with two years planning behind them, they will have scope for dealing with a covid rush while having less impact on other areas. And found a way to improve the conditions for the medical staff too.

Won't they? 

If you're being serious then I'm afraid your just plain ignorant. There was plenty of improvisation as they turned operating theatres etc into covid wards, worked without the correct PPE but managed to improvise again. etc etc etc.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Seems pretty quiet out and about

i think people who have plans next week aren’t risking going out for fear of catching it before they’re due to go 

I imagine schools will have low attendances this week as well due to people trying to avoid it. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

I don't think anyone is "ignoring" that at all - it would well be our way out of this in the long-term so it is being monitored very carefully. Twitter aside, it's winter here and this variant is spreading at a rate never previously witnessed during this pandemic. If it is milder in terms of symptoms, then that will be a godsend, but what is becoming evident is that on top of Delta, it is nonetheless resulting hospital referrals as expected. It is still too early to determine what the overall impact upon our health service will be and because we are only three weeks in, we lack the real-world data to understand the implications of these mutations. It's also a stark reminder of the potential threat that an emergent variant can pose. Fortunately, in spite of the virulence, this does appear to be much less severe than Delta. 

Please explain and elaborate.

18 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Meanwhile cases within the care homes have continued to increase.

Why?  How?

Nobody asks these questions.

Off the top of my head I would guess it's because the efficacy of the vaccine has started to wane, and the fact that all visiting restrictions were lifted back in July. 

22 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Meanwhile cases within the care homes have continued to increase.

Why?  How?

Nobody asks these questions.

Numbers have risen and fallen over this period and so I don't see how this is current rise can be see as anything other than normal.  The numbers are so small to be insignificant anyhow.  The fact that this statistics are collected would suggest someone wpuld look at the reasons for any significant unexplained rise or fall.

Guest Col city fan
45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seems pretty quiet out and about

i think people who have plans next week aren’t risking going out for fear of catching it before they’re due to go 

Yep I’ve just popped down Asda fosse park (about 6pm) and coming back up the Soar Valley Way was a breeze tonight. 

Got a bit of a dilemma. Got my booster tomorrow, mate who I went Naples with tested positive and I’m getting a sore throat. I had covid in July so I would say it’s still unlikely I’ve got it again but recon I should have the jab?