Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

19 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Was told an heartbreaking story today from a nurse. He had sat with an unvaccinated patient who was dying from Covid, this patient had also encouraged his parents not to get vaccinated who then caught Covid and died. He said that the patient just kept saying “I’ve killed my parents, I’ve killed my parents”

Well he was warned explicitly and over a sustained period. 

Whilst sad its not as if there wasn't impartial and urgent advice that this would happen. 

3 hours ago, Robo61 said:

How much would that all cost and where would the money come from??

Wherever all the other money they find when it’s needed comes from. There is never a shortage of money when it comes to arms and war so I’m sure they could have found the money if they really wanted to for this. Tax avoidance alone costs tens of billions a year, that would be a good place to start. 

The biggest issue in the world isn't about thr boosters or anything like that, it's the lack of distribution of the vaccine which caused this new variant. Vaccines are fabricated in countries like South Africa but not available to the population at large, and thus, if they never become available, well we'll have a lot of variants in every corner of Africa Asia and even the americas. All this is happening while some westerners basically throw away vaccines. Also, this shows why we cannot and should not depend upon pharmaceutical companies who only care about profit. It's like giving keys to a monkey to drive a plane. Public health programs should be invested in world wide instead of these bastards who only care about the quick buck. We critique America yet we've allowed massive privatisation of the nhs for example. This will never end till all countries get a fair share as it should be. I'd nationalise those vulture companies. Send em packing 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A lot less than shutting down the country, furlough and the loss of economy due to COVID surely? 

We seem to have the magic money tree for lots of things yet no investment into actual NHS staff, the most important cog in the machine. 

I was responding to the poster who seemed to be suggesting that it could all be done without anu pain.  On your first point,  almost certainly in the short term but long term spending on preparing for pandemics that rarely occur is seen by government as waste

On your second point,  I couldn't agree more,  this country has the second lowest spending on health care in the G7.  The France spend some 25%,  the German's 50%  and the Americans very nearly 300% more than we do (ONS figures). Its really remarkable how much our NHS achieves on level of resource.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

No idea how much it would cost, but it would come from the same place as the extra £35 billion they have already spent on the NHS during the crisis. 

Except it would have to be spend year on year,  which would mean more taxes for you and I.  A position I would wholeheartedly support.

Mrs Buce had to call an ambulance at around midnight for an elderly resident who had fallen, resulting in a broken hip and head injuries; it still hadn't arrived when she left work at 07.30.

The home also recieved 5 patients released from hospital, all requiring a high level of care; this, to a home that is 50% understaffed.

If the NHS is in crisis, the care sector is on life-support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

Mrs Buce had to call an ambulance at around midnight for an elderly resident who had fallen, resulting in a broken hip and head injuries; it still hadn't arrived when she left work at 07.30.

The home also recieved 5 patients released from hospital, all requiring a high level of care; this, to a home that is 50% understaffed.

Can’t be true mate - someone said in the football forum that there is no pressure on the NHS !  Never has been - it’s all made up …..

Edited by st albans fox

26 minutes ago, Buce said:

My 95 year old grandma is currently stuck in hospital as they can't find a home for her. Currently been turned down by about 6 care homes as they don't have the staff to care for her. She has dementia.  It's a nightmare. She is using a bed in hospital that she doesn't need but is stuck there. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, adam said:

My 95 year old grandma is currently stuck in hospital as they can't find a home for her. Currently been turned down by about 6 care homes as they don't have the staff to care for her. She has dementia.  It's a nightmare. She is using a bed in hospital that she doesn't need but is stuck there. 

That's awful. So sorry to hear that. 

17 minutes ago, adam said:

Awful!!..very sad for her and all your family.

Welcome to the post Brexit UK...

😢

Tbh I don't even think this is just a Brexit issue. It's a chronic underfunding for at least a decade issue, coupled with an ageing population that is kept alive but requires more care. 

Japan will be acutely feeling this problem in decades to come, due to their declining birth rates. 

Sad fact is - it's not a job people want to do and it's underpaid. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, adam said:

Ludicrous and sad situation, but probably avoidable. This no doubt is due to forcing staff against their will to be vaxed. A period of grace was granted to NHS staff, no doubt to get them through the winter. Why didn’t they in social care or better still withdraw the mandatory vax mandate. 

4 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Ludicrous and sad situation, but probably avoidable. This no doubt is due to forcing staff against their will to be vaxed. A period of grace was granted to NHS staff, no doubt to get them through the winter. Why didn’t they in social care or better still withdraw the mandatory vax mandate. 

Partly.

The main reason for staff leaving is to work elsewhere (Amazon, mainly) for another fiver an hour.

• Like 2

The government are the issue as to why the NHS and Social care is struggling out of its arse, not unvaccinated people and not COVID. If they had sorted out the governance of the NHS so it wasn’t leaking money left, right and centre and had also pumped enough funding into the NHS over the past 12 years we wouldn’t be constantly under the threat of the “NHS being overwhelmed”. If they hadn’t basically privatised the entire social care sector we wouldn’t have cowboys running down working standards and pay to the point that people would rather work virtually anywhere else because they get paid more and have better arrangements in regards to holiday and sick pay. Let’s face it, the country’s a ****ing mess and will be for years to come. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Tbh I don't even think this is just a Brexit issue. It's a chronic underfunding for at least a decade issue, coupled with an ageing population that is kept alive but requires more care. 

Japan will be acutely feeling this problem in decades to come, due to their declining birth rates. 

Sad fact is - it's not a job people want to do and it's underpaid. 

It's an issue of austerity, austerity since the thatcher days. Neo liberalism kills 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That's awful. So sorry to hear that. 

32 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Awful!!..very sad for her and all your family.

Welcome to the post Brexit UK...

😢

Thanks. Its not great. They seem keen to take her on but as soon as you mention dementia to the home they are not interested.  All of them are understaffed. These care homes seem to be  making massive profits and are charging 800 quid a week but don't seem to want to pay their staff a decent wage. 

• Sad 1

There must have been over 200 people queuing up for a walk-in booster jab at the Fleet Street vaccination centre this morning. Pretty chaotic as those with an actual appointment (like me) struggled to even get in the door. I basically had to force my way through the main floor, get down 2 flights of stairs with people packed in like sardines and present myself at the front of the queue, all whilst people are throwing me dirty looks and calling me a queue jumper. 

12 hours ago, kingfox said:

Nonsense like this 

You even had Martin Kemp saying the same on this programme, why? Is it because he is getting a nice payday for starring in a Covid advert 🤔

The Lorraine guests were probably referring to this article from the day before stating that 90% of ECMO patients are unvaccinated. However because that number is so low, the guests were wrong to state that 90% of people in hospital are not vaccinated, it was a mistake on their part. It happens.

Still, Chair of the Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisation still suggests anecdotally that a majority of Covid patients currently in intensive care are not vaccinated.

Essentially, whilst Jenkins isn't incorrect, a very large share of the UK’s population has now been vaccinated, especially those most at risk, meaning that the small fraction of vaccinated people who still become seriously ill are numerous enough to make up a majority of hospital admissions. It's just simple numbers. 

It's an ongoing misrepresentation of the data by Jenkins, whose Twitter account is an echo chamber for anti-vaxxers, anti-MSM and conspiracy theorist nutters. He continually posts this type of bollocks to boost his own profile through retweets or shares... 

"bUt He uSeD tO wOrK FoR tHe OnS!"

It makes me smile that his followers constantly accuse the majority of people of gullibility for consuming the "misinformation" from media outlets, yet when it comes to his "facts" they're somehow gospel. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2