Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Be clearer on Covid passes - Madders

That's what happens when you spend too much time on a football forum...

Labour's Justin Madders says a lack of government information on its rule changes has hardened opposition to them among MPs and the public.

It's not a "slide into dystopia" but people are more worried than they needed to be, he adds.

But there must be a "clearer explanation" of which venues will require Covid passes for people to enter, Madders argues.

Edited by Buce

2 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

My kids school is averaging one new case a fortnight hardly grounds for closure 

I wasn't advocating for closure either way; I was responding to a previous poster's suggestion.

Schools are a breeding ground for disease and a highly likely vector for both asymptomatic and symptomatic cases - asymptomatic being the more concerning amongst communities. This will be the argument FOR closure but I'm not passing judgement on that either way. If the case rate starts to accelerate after the Christmas break is when we'll see this on the table but I don't think the government will want it either way. Far more likely to see big drives on booster and 1st and 2nd jabs.

The company my wife works for had their Christmas do on Friday. 40 people attended with no other business at the venue that night.

As of this afternoon 14 have had positive PCR tests 

Fortunately my wife didn’t attend due to a non COVID illness 😃

Needless to say the offices are now closed.

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I wasn't advocating for closure either way; I was responding to a previous poster's suggestion.

Schools are a breeding ground for disease and a highly likely vector for both asymptomatic and symptomatic cases - asymptomatic being the more concerning amongst communities. This will be the argument FOR closure but I'm not passing judgement on that either way. If the case rate starts to accelerate after the Christmas break is when we'll see this on the table but I don't think the government will want it either way. Far more likely to see big drives on booster and 1st and 2nd jabs.

Yeah just find it funny that some clamber to have the schools closed instead of pubs , alcohol over education of children lol

4 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Yeah just find it funny that some clamber to have the schools closed instead of pubs , alcohol over education of children lol

I think with some people it's concerning that children are put into environments that are difficult to control viral transfer. Kids are much more likely to slobber over each other than patrons of Wetherspoons on a Friday....uh....I think?

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I think with some people it's concerning that children are put into environments that are difficult to control viral transfer. Kids are much more likely to slobber over each other than patrons of Wetherspoons on a Friday....uh....I think?

I'm not so sure lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Fair enough. Do you think we'll see an impact from that pill on deaths any time soon? That was lauded as some kind of breakthrough but deaths are just as flat as they've been for months.

Antivials? Yes, I mentioned this the other week - but the same people on here who keep whining about possible restrictions and 'scaremongering' - (y'know, the ones that are scared) only see and filter what they want to see - hence similar allegations to yours about negativity. 

Antiviral agents have been around for some time. They have been overwhelmingly successful in clinical trails against Covid-19, but have not been made available yet. Pfizer have 180,000 treatment courses ready for shipment before Christmas this year and plan to produce at least 80 million in 2022...for the western world and those that can afford it. 

Edited by Line-X

30 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Well the case rate in Harborough District for school age children is double and at times treble the infection rate for some adult age groups. Also in the adult population the highest infection rates are amongst those of the right age to be parents of said children. So I'd say schools are where a lot of infection is spreading.

Considering nothing of much value happens at schools in the last few days of terms I'd consider closing the schools a few days early.

Though if the infection levels really do reach 1 million a day, as some are predicting, then there won't be enough teachers left uninfected to keep open schools or enough people to open pubs shops or much else frankly.

Sobering statistics on the unvaccinated coming out of Greece.

Greece, which has a population of around 11 million, has recorded 19,475 Covid-linked deaths to date.

EODY, the public health body, confirmed a further 5,736 new infections overnight with 700 patients intubated in intensive care. More than 81% of that number were unvaccinated, it said.

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Totally understand the risks associated with Omicron. Huge infection numbers, lower severity but small percentage of a large number is still a worryingly large number.

What I don't understand is the apparent resignation and acceptance of defeat to Omicron the moment we became aware of its existence. Didn't we have travel restrictions and protocols for that? Hotel quarantine? Track and trace? Was there a concerted effort to stop it reaching these shores? 

People keep saying until we solve the global issue, our domestic efforts are futile. What was the point in shutting down our travel sector if the global impact of COVID mutation domestically was so inevitable?

What's the point in track and trace if variants will become more and more transmissible and have us in a frenzy within days?

I struggle so much to make sense of this pandemic. 

Absolutely understandable. The problem is, aside from completely closing our borders, travel restrictions are largely toothless against something that is this infectious. It was inevitable. What each of us must all do is embrace all practical measures in our power to reduce the spread, to buy time, safeguard the vulnerable, lower clinical burden over winter, allow boosters to take effect and in so doing decrease the likelihood of further/protracted restrictions. I went into work today, in again tomorrow, then I'm largely becoming a hermit until Christmas, when I'll poke my head above the parapet. 

Frankly, and put bluntly, I want to see and spend some time with my octogenarian parents over Christmas, not run the risk of killing them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely understandable. The problem is, aside from completely closing our borders, travel restrictions are largely toothless against something that is this infectious. It was inevitable. What each of us must all do is embrace all practical measures in our power to reduce the spread, to buy time, safeguard the vulnerable, lower clinical burden over winter, allow boosters to take effect and in so doing decrease the likelihood of further/protracted restrictions. I went into work today, in again tomorrow, then I'm largely becoming a hermit until Christmas, when I'll poke my head above the parapet. 

Frankly, and put bluntly, I want to see and spend some time with my octogenarian parents over Christmas, not run the risk of killing them. 

What about New Zealand they coped pretty well?

Edited by whoareyaaa

If anyone in here has had the virus and can shed any light on this Parosmia issue for me, I'm all ears.

I'm triple vaxxed, boosted last week.

I've never had the Virus, or at least never had symptoms or a positive test since the Pandemic started.

January 2021, with no illness or symptoms, my sense of smell changed. 

I could smell this weird plasticky/chemical smell all the time.  It doesn't smell like anything I've experienced in my life and it's quite hard to describe.

I could still smell and taste other stuff, but this new thing was weird and overpowering as a smell, but not the end of the world and only slightly annoying.

As per the guidance at the time, I took myself off for a PCR test and it was negative.

A few weeks later, it faded and I thought no more of it for the rest of this year.

After my booster last week (Moderna, after 2x AZs), the same weird smell has come back. 

It has been getting stronger and stronger in recent days and I feel like I can taste the weirdness again.

Most of the stuff I've looked up online about COVID-related parosmia goes on about absence of smell, or a smell of rotting or a faecal smell.  

Thats not it for me. Its a chemical smell which I struggle to describe.

TBH, online info isn't shedding much light on it.

I'm only slightly annoyed by it and it's no major hardship. I'm not off my food, I'm just curious.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence with me getting boosted last week.

I've been doing negative LFTs every couple of days and I have no other symptoms.

Have any of the rest of you had a change of your sense of smell without a positive COVID test?

If so, was it a weird chemical smell & taste and a smell you never experienced before?

Have any of you had a change to your sense of smell after your booster?

Yours, curiously

Vac.

:)

15 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

What about New Zealand they coped pretty well?

Yes, because they are one of the most isolated countries on the planet, they imposed strict lockdown regulations, their highly compliant population is fourteen times smaller than of ours and guess what?...they very rapidly closed their borders to practically all non-citizens or residents. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, martyn said:

Firstly, the data from South Africa re virulence seems relatively promising. Fewer hospital admissions, fewer patients in hospital requiring Oxygen and ICU, and average stay in hospital considerably down compared to other variants. The one slightly concerning thing looks to be the relative increase in severity for under 18's, and particularly in much younger kids.

However, it's dangerous to push the narrative that we're just dealing with a cold. If transmissibility is factors higher than the relative reduction in severity, then the danger is the health service won't cope, just due to sheer volumes of people infected.

So it's reassuring on an individual risk basis that seemingly Omicron might be the "best" variant to catch, but not so much if you're one of the cohort who ends up needs treatment where numbers are running rampant. 

Are we sure that both variants, omicron and delta, can’t coexist? In other words, does catching omicron give protection against delta, and vice versa? If so, to what degree?  Is it possible to get both simultaneously as if they were 2 separate infections? This would be my concern, as in that case, omicron may not push out delta.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yes, because they are one of the most isolated countries on the planet, they imposed strict lockdown regulations, their highly compliant population is fourteen times smaller than of ours and guess what...they very rapidly closed their borders to practically all non-citizens or citizens. 

@Line-X I don’t know how you have the patience to explain everything so clearly and so many times - I certainly couldn’t - but god bless you for it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Totally understand the risks associated with Omicron. Huge infection numbers, lower severity but small percentage of a large number is still a worryingly large number.

What I don't understand is the apparent resignation and acceptance of defeat to Omicron the moment we became aware of its existence. Didn't we have travel restrictions and protocols for that? Hotel quarantine? Track and trace? Was there a concerted effort to stop it reaching these shores? 

People keep saying until we solve the global issue, our domestic efforts are futile. What was the point in shutting down our travel sector if the global impact of COVID mutation domestically was so inevitable? In red lists and amber lists?

What's the point in track and trace if variants will become more and more transmissible and have us in a frenzy within days?

I struggle so much to make sense of this pandemic. 

Covid is simply too quick for travel bans and confirmed PCR testing. I’ve always suspected that we are actually six weeks to two months behind rather than one to two weeks they like to think. 

The T and T is a total robbery of governmental money in its current guise.

For example people on this forum are being notified of a covid case on a plane back from Naples, five days late. People have taken their PCR within the two days and come back clear 

For t and t to work it had to be incredibly forthright and zero tolerance. We’d have been far better working on the assumption that you show symptoms you stay in home and get at home PCR tests as opposed to walk in’s and drive thru’s

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, kyleolly said:

I don't want anything shut but if you want to really drive down infections then schools have to close as well given the amount of cases they produce.

Hopefully we don't reach that point.

2 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Up until recently we were told that if you were double vaccinated then the chance of catching covid was significantly reduced which most swiggers have been. Whereas most school children haven't. I've said all along that children should have moved full time in to schools for 2 years and let their parents drink themselves in to oblivion and then regroup in 2023 and see who's still standing. A British Squid Games / Battle Royale if you will.

58 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

If anyone in here has had the virus and can shed any light on this Parosmia issue for me, I'm all ears.

I'm triple vaxxed, boosted last week.

I've never had the Virus, or at least never had symptoms or a positive test since the Pandemic started.

January 2021, with no illness or symptoms, my sense of smell changed. 

I could smell this weird plasticky/chemical smell all the time.  It doesn't smell like anything I've experienced in my life and it's quite hard to describe.

I could still smell and taste other stuff, but this new thing was weird and overpowering as a smell, but not the end of the world and only slightly annoying.

As per the guidance at the time, I took myself off for a PCR test and it was negative.

A few weeks later, it faded and I thought no more of it for the rest of this year.

After my booster last week (Moderna, after 2x AZs), the same weird smell has come back. 

It has been getting stronger and stronger in recent days and I feel like I can taste the weirdness again.

Most of the stuff I've looked up online about COVID-related parosmia goes on about absence of smell, or a smell of rotting or a faecal smell.  

Thats not it for me. Its a chemical smell which I struggle to describe.

TBH, online info isn't shedding much light on it.

I'm only slightly annoyed by it and it's no major hardship. I'm not off my food, I'm just curious.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence with me getting boosted last week.

I've been doing negative LFTs every couple of days and I have no other symptoms.

Have any of the rest of you had a change of your sense of smell without a positive COVID test?

If so, was it a weird chemical smell & taste and a smell you never experienced before?

Have any of you had a change to your sense of smell after your booster?

Yours, curiously

Vac.

:)

Your kids ain't stuffed some playdoh up your nose when you were asleep have they?

• Haha 1