Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Highly unlikely, The first recorded cases in the UK were on the 27th -  two people linked to travel in South Africa. But the first known case is not the same as the first infection. It is possible that it was in circulation as early as October, but statistically you are far more likely to have had Delta. 

If you don't mind me asking, have you had any vaccination? The first jab? 

No

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

If anyone in here has had the virus and can shed any light on this Parosmia issue for me, I'm all ears.

I'm triple vaxxed, boosted last week.

I've never had the Virus, or at least never had symptoms or a positive test since the Pandemic started.

January 2021, with no illness or symptoms, my sense of smell changed. 

I could smell this weird plasticky/chemical smell all the time.  It doesn't smell like anything I've experienced in my life and it's quite hard to describe.

I could still smell and taste other stuff, but this new thing was weird and overpowering as a smell, but not the end of the world and only slightly annoying.

As per the guidance at the time, I took myself off for a PCR test and it was negative.

A few weeks later, it faded and I thought no more of it for the rest of this year.

After my booster last week (Moderna, after 2x AZs), the same weird smell has come back. 

It has been getting stronger and stronger in recent days and I feel like I can taste the weirdness again.

Most of the stuff I've looked up online about COVID-related parosmia goes on about absence of smell, or a smell of rotting or a faecal smell.  

Thats not it for me. Its a chemical smell which I struggle to describe.

TBH, online info isn't shedding much light on it.

I'm only slightly annoyed by it and it's no major hardship. I'm not off my food, I'm just curious.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence with me getting boosted last week.

I've been doing negative LFTs every couple of days and I have no other symptoms.

Have any of the rest of you had a change of your sense of smell without a positive COVID test?

If so, was it a weird chemical smell & taste and a smell you never experienced before?

Have any of you had a change to your sense of smell after your booster?

Yours, curiously

Vac.

:)

Same as you. I had some weird smell issues a few weeks back as you describe. Negative lfts. Had some weird panic attacks shortly after too. 

No booster yet but I'll keep an eye on it for you. 

6 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Same as you. I had some weird smell issues a few weeks back as you describe. Negative lfts. Had some weird panic attacks shortly after too. 

No booster yet but I'll keep an eye on it for you. 

My boss had the booster and afterwards had a weird smell said it smelt like burnt toast constantly

9 hours ago, Line-X said:

That while many in the world remain unvaccinated it will continue to mutate and thus more variants will emerge.

Are you saying that it can *only* mutate In unvaccinated? Any links to this? I’ve read that it can mutate to evade vaccines in the vaccinated. 

9 hours ago, reynard said:

I don't know but a good question. The news from there does look encouraging but they do have a much younger age demographic so we do need to be cautious at this stage.

do you know the answer?

I don’t. I usually use the tool from Google but it doesn’t have hospitalisation data for South Africa. Only deaths and cases. It does for some countries though. 

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Oh dear.

There will still be folk defending this horrible bunch of people. 

Just as a stark fact - at the point of this picture people were dying alone and afraid because the public were obeying the dictat of the Tory party and Boris Johnson. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 4

Just now, danny. said:

Are you saying that it can *only* mutate In unvaccinated? Any links to this? I’ve read that it can mutate to evade vaccines in the vaccinated. 

No, not at all. To clarify, what I meant was that whilst infection rates remain high and the more it is passed on, then more mutations will emerge. 

20 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Isn’t smelling burnt toast a sign of a stroke?

Assuming there’s no burnt toast around, of course.

That’s a myth apparently. I Googled it earlier this year. 

19 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No, not at all. To clarify, what I meant was that whilst infection rates remain high and the more it is passed on, then more mutations will emerge. 

Surely it will mutate regardless of vaccination rates, it’s just what viruses do. I have heard people blame unvaccinated people for mutations which seems dishonest. 

6 minutes ago, danny. said:

That’s a myth apparently. I Googled it earlier this year. 

Surely it will mutate regardless of vaccination rates, it’s just what viruses do. I have heard people blame unvaccinated people for mutations which seems dishonest. 

Not at all,  where vaccination rates are comparatively high,  infection rates are  comparatively low.  Lower infection rates result in fewer mutations.  So no it is not dishonest to blame the unvaccinated for increasing the likelyhood of mutations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danny. said:

Yes it will, but in unvaccinated communities and areas of the globe that are harder to reach, there is a higher chance of it infecting naive cells. A virus replicates quicker in the unvaccinated and is thereby likely to favour the development of mutations. The more it continues to infect the more variants will emerge. We are creating variants rapidly right now because we have so many humans around the planet infected with SARS CoV-2. Unvaccinated people are basically the cannon fodder of the virus. Unvaccinated populations, of whatever size, are the breeding ground. The virus needs people to infect in order to replicate and the more people it has that are vulnerable or susceptible to infection, the more likely it will mutate. Unvaccinated people present additional opportunities for the Covid-19 virus to mutate. The Delta variant of Covid-19, was a more contagious and aggressive mutation of the virus - a direct result of the coronavirus mutating in the infected. Viruses mutate once they are in the body of a person who has been infected. Hence, clusters of unvaccinated people not only risk transmitting the virus to others, but risk spreading a stronger, more contagious version of Covid. Since vaccination drives down the levels of infection, if the virus isn’t able to infect, it’s not going to replicate … and a new variant is less likely to emerge.

What fascinates me is how this virus transmits to vaccinated people/people with t cell antibodies. Has there been any studies done on whether it's a case of someone is prone to transmission or whatever the circumstance their immune system will bat it off (excuse the pun)

What I'm trying to say is, my wife has had covid recently, as has my son and I've been in close contact with them day in, day out and I've not caught it (tested daily). Now does that mean there's then very little chance I'd get it full stop given you'd be hard pressed to find a situation where I'd be exposed to it repeatedly more or for longer? 

Obviously the new strain is making a mockery of the double jabbed protection anyway but it got me thinking whether there's a genetic make up that is determining transmission or something.

36 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yes it will, but in unvaccinated communities and areas of the globe that are harder to reach, there is a higher chance of it infecting naive cells. A virus replicates quicker in the unvaccinated and is thereby likely to favour the development of mutations. The more it continues to infect the more variants will emerge. We are creating variants rapidly right now because we have so many humans around the planet infected with SARS CoV-2. Unvaccinated people are basically the cannon fodder of the virus. Unvaccinated populations, of whatever size, are the breeding ground. The virus needs people to infect in order to replicate and the more people it has that are vulnerable or susceptible to infection, the more likely it will mutate. Unvaccinated people present additional opportunities for the Covid-19 virus to mutate. The Delta variant of Covid-19, was a more contagious and aggressive mutation of the virus - a direct result of the coronavirus mutating in the infected. Viruses mutate once they are in the body of a person who has been infected. Hence, clusters of unvaccinated people not only risk transmitting the virus to others, but risk spreading a stronger, more contagious version of Covid. Since vaccination drives down the levels of infection, if the virus isn’t able to infect, it’s not going to replicate … and a new variant is less likely to emerge.

I’m no doubt missing something, but vaccines don’t stop people catching the virus, so all the things you mention such as being in a body and spreading to others still applies to vaccinated people? If everyone on the planet was vaccinated people would still catch, carry and spread Covid so how does this stop mutation?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

What fascinates me is how this virus transmits to vaccinated people/people with t cell antibodies. Has there been any studies done on whether it's a case of someone is prone to transmission or whatever the circumstance their immune system will bat it off (excuse the pun)

What I'm trying to say is, my wife has had covid recently, as has my son and I've been in close contact with them day in, day out and I've not caught it (tested daily). Now does that mean there's then very little chance I'd get it full stop given you'd be hard pressed to find a situation where I'd be exposed to it repeatedly more or for longer? 

Obviously the new strain is making a mockery of the double jabbed protection anyway but it got me thinking whether there's a genetic make up that is determining transmission or something.

Similar situation I spent all day in the pub and shared a taxi home with 2 people who tested positive the next day. That was 10 days ago still testing negative. The thing is they were both double jabbed were completely asymptotic and as such very unlikely to pass it on especially to someone who is also double jabbed.

Is your missus double jabbed? What about your kid? Did they have strong symptoms? The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting it, but greatly increases your chances of fighting it and decreases your chance of spreading it. The vaccine effects are 2-fold stops you getting serious symptoms of COVID and stops you being as infectious. It is not 100% effective in either area but a damn site more effective than washing hands and wearing masks. Of course there will be some people who have a natural immunity, or will have built up stronger immunity from having COVID in the past and that could be you, but more likely vaccines doing their job.

Edited by Captain...

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

Thank you, but genuinely @leicsmac is the able scientific communicator on here - and with vastly more reserves of patience, tact and diplomacy than myself. 

TBH mate you didn't see me after the Villa game last week. :ph34r:

But thank you and for what it's worth I reckon you've done a better job of science communication than me in this thread.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sm1 said:

Ivermectin in particular has been used extensively in Peru, Mexico, India & Japan with great results. Dr John Campbell has covered the results extensively on his YouTube videos. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/indias-ivermectin-blackout-secret-revealed

isummary.png

Oh wow a meme and a YouTube video, you should have said. 

One of the biggest trials that was constantly used as evidence got withdrawn because the bloke lied. He say that in his video? 

Not forgetting the inconsistent uses, poor trial data, some of the biggest properly controlled trials being halted for futility, all the others that showed no benefit whatsoever.

One of the biggest reviews of the data removing all the proven fraudulent studies and those at high risk of bias due to poor practices, shows little benefit. https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/8/11/ofab358/6316214

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, danny. said:

I’m no doubt missing something, but vaccines don’t stop people catching the virus, so all the things you mention such as being in a body and spreading to others still applies to vaccinated people? If everyone on the planet was vaccinated people would still catch, carry and spread Covid so how does this stop mutation?

Yes I think you are. Mainly, that although vaccination does not prevent mutations, the virus replicates quicker in unvaccinated people and through widespread transmission, increasing the chance of them happening.  If everyone is vaccinated, eventually the infection rate diminishes and with that the probability of variants. But if the virus has an easy host, such as an unvaccinated individual, then it is easy for it to mutate into a more contagious and virulent form.

One of the key characteristics of the coronavirus is the spike protein that allows it to latch onto a host cell, penetrate it, and cause an infection. Put simply, vaccines target that spike to block the virus. In the unvaccinated, however, the virus gets in, hijacks the cell, and turns it into a factory. It then makes thousands of copies of itself. If there’s a copying mistake or error, which is what we call a mutation. Occasionally, a mutation can help the virus get into the body’s cells more easily. When mutations accumulate over time, new variants of a virus strain emerge and this is far more likely and rapid amongst unvaccinated populations/communities. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Yes I think you are. Mainly, that although vaccination does not prevent mutations, the virus replicates quicker in unvaccinated people and through widespread transmission, increasing the chance of them happening.  If everyone is vaccinated, eventually the infection rate diminishes and with that the probability of variants. But if the virus has an easy host, such as an unvaccinated individual, then it is easy for it to mutate into a more contagious and virulent form.

One of the key characteristics of the coronavirus is the spike protein that allows it to latch onto a host cell, penetrate it, and cause an infection. Put simply, vaccines target that spike to block the virus. In the unvaccinated, however, the virus gets in, hijacks the cell, and turns it into a factory. It then makes thousands of copies of itself. If there’s a copying mistake or error, which is what we call a mutation. Occasionally, a mutation can help the virus get into the body’s cells more easily. When mutations accumulate over time, new variants of a virus strain emerge and this is far more likely and rapid amongst unvaccinated populations/communities. 

Sorry to butt in but are you some kind of expert? Just curious because you seem to know everything.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Nothing to do with me...known science speaks for itself and has a voice of its own. 

Though knowing science and communicating science in a way that is useful in terms of making lives better are often two very different things. :)

Edited by leicsmac