Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Is that a surprise ??

it’s been highlighted on here by the basic maths that this is a strong possibility once the festive season is done and dusted 

whether you agree/disagree etc it shouldn’t be a surprise …

the only silver lining I can see is that it will probably be a two/three week thing unless the numbers are astronomical in which case it could be around a month. 

By definition, a lockdown is intended to last longer than two or three weeks. If we don't have lockdown, the spread of omicron will be over in two or three weeks, if only because if the projections are to be believed, everyone will be catching it every day by then. The point of lockdown is to spread the disease over months or years.

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh. Twice. First time a few hours of mild illness second time completely asymptomatic. Obviously I got lucky but also glad I’ve listened to the raft of medics in my family and always looked after my weight/diet and exercise regularly!! 

I had the weirdest few hours back when this started. I came home from work one night, Chopped up an onion in making dinner and I  couldn't smell or taste a thing. Went to bed that night, feverish,  aches, totally convinced I had it.

Felt normal the next morning just tired from a poor night sleep. No lateral flows at the time so went for a PCR anyway, came back negative. Still no idea what that was all about.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Another presser confirmed with Johnson and Whitty at 5pm. 

The sheer number of these announcements has done my head in. I'm exhausted trying to process them both in terms of what they mean on face value but what they mean in terms of the political games being played . 

I'm going to my allotment ..

5 hours ago, Andy11111 said:

Have any of you actually had Covid?

Wife caught it from hospital at the outset of things going wonky. She still has no sense of smell and her toes lack sensation. I developed mine shortly after and was close to intubation. It was like drowning in air.

Was having tea with the builder doing my driveway today, my devout Muslim next door neighbour comes out says hello, then just starts going off about vaccines and how he'd never get it, without any word from me. The unvaccinated have ruined my career and now they even manage to spoil my days off.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Was having tea with the builder doing my driveway today, my devout Muslim next door neighbour comes out says hello, then just starts going off about vaccines and how he'd never get it, without any word from me. The unvaccinated have ruined my career and now they even manage to spoil my days off.

This is why when some folks on here insist that humanity is doomed, I find it increasingly difficult to refute their arguments despite my optimistic nature.

Individualism beyond a point and anti-intellectualism are going to get us all killed. (Well, maybe not all killed, but certainly reduced in circumstances.)

• Like 1

So they're announcing today they're shutting down hospitality then? They day after my last shift. Sounds about right. Could cry. Worked my bollocks off since the last lockdown, been consistently overworked and underpaid, treated like absolute crap for the privelidge and now this. ****ing horrific. 

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This is why when some folks on here insist that humanity is doomed, I find it increasingly difficult to refute their arguments despite my optimistic nature.

Individualism beyond a point and anti-intellectualism are going to get us all killed. (Well, maybe not all killed, but certainly reduced in circumstances.)

Despite all this, and a novel respiratory virus, humanity keeps growing at a rapid pace!!! We’re too clever for our own good..

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Despite all this, and a novel respiratory virus, humanity keeps growing at a rapid pace!!! We’re too clever for our own good..

This is true.

However, geologically speaking, we haven't been around for all that long to see Earth get really nasty and so Covid is merely a taste of what might be around the corner - as well as what we know is around the corner. Treat whatever that might be in the same way and things might not look so good.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So they're announcing today they're shutting down hospitality then? They day after my last shift. Sounds about right. Could cry. Worked my bollocks off since the last lockdown, been consistently overworked and underpaid, treated like absolute crap for the privelidge and now this. ****ing horrific. 

FFS I hope not.

All to deflect away from their own parties, how quickly that has been forgotten about.

• Like 1

I don’t think there will be any other restrictions just yet. But I wouldnt be surprised if something is announced in Jan.  just depends how bad it gets over the next week or so. 

This variant is going to cause a lot of chaos I feel. I bloody hope not, as I think as a country we were starting to get used to living with it, just on an extreme basis. 

Edited by fox_favourite

I've been trying to book a booster jab for my daughter but the site keeps crashing; so I try again and every fvcking time it says this - I'm number 6576 in the queue with an estimated waiting time of five minutes. Every. Fvcking. Time. What a farce.

image.png.9456f19cd86b074029eaad52ee6d7644.png

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

FFS I hope not.

All to deflect away from their own parties, how quickly that has been forgotten about.

I'm absolutely certain that is not lost on them - remember Jo Moore's email when the news of 9-11 broke? That would be a complete travesty. But honestly? Right now I think that this is at the forefront of their minds and the sole area of attention...

https://www.ft.com/content/d69a0a68-d5ac-4ac3-98ac-1bbceec513b6

Apologies if people regard this as 'scaremongering' but the immediate concern is the health service and the vulnerable. 

If businesses/sectors are forced to close then there absolutely must be a financial package of support announced immediately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

I'm absolutely certain that is not lost on them - remember Jo Moore's email when the news of 9-11 broke? That would be a complete travesty. But honestly? Right now I think that this is at the forefront of their minds and the sole area of attention...

Apologies if people regard this as 'scaremongering' but the immediate concern is the health service and the vulnerable. 

If businesses/sectors are forced to close then there absolutely must be a financial package of support announced immediately. 

What does it say?

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

To be fair I meant these constant pressers we've been having almost daily since the news about their work parties broke.

See what the presser brings at 5pm anyway.