Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Ah O.K. In that case maybe I'm just in a vulnerable group rather than clinically vulnerable group? 

Fvck knows, my head hurts with it all.

There's probably a vaccine for that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, sm1 said:

70 trials involving nearly 50k patients show Ivermectin is a very effective treatment. Here's the upto date meta analysis of all 70 trials

https://ivmmeta.com

Uttar Perdesh India's biggest state with 240M people, crippling poverty and population density, reduced there covid rates by 97% in 1 month. From 300000 to 9000, by giving Ivermectin to anybody who had a positive covid test. Massive reductions in Japan, Mexico and Peru.

Vaccination is just one weapon in our armoury against Covid, there are many others purposefully ignored.

Shame the data doesn’t show that, unless you want to count forged data and trials with extreme bias, and lies by your right wing bloggers etc. There are as many that show zero benefit that show there is. There is a reason some of the largest and latest trials got abandoned due to futility.

That’ll be the India who no longer recommend Ivermectin? 

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/2021/09/25/india-de-approves-hydroxycholoquine-and-ivermectin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Don't understand the point of journalists trying to get different answers from scientists and the politicians. 

This is probably more the politics thread but...

Scientists give an educated view of the problem based on the current scientific understanding of the world in which the problem resides.

It is then the Politicians job to take findings of the Scientists and balance them with all the other problems that reside at present in the same space. That's why Whitty et al are always very clear NOT to be explicit in what _they_ think should happen, but advise based on what the data tells them. There are times when Whitty et al are pretty clear on what you should do, VanTam is also strong on this and I would hazard an educated guess that they say this because it has been agreed with the Politicians beforehand so that a coordinated message is given out.

A crude analogy. Scientists will give you all the pieces of a Jigsaw and try to provide a plan to assemble it. It's the Politicians that have to actually put the jigsaw together.... depending upon the Politicians you get, it can take time.  ;)

Journalists are looking for the gaps and disparity to then generate headlines or flag where those gaps are... depending upon how you view Journalists.

Edited by blabyboy

46 minutes ago, Corky said:

We don't know how serious this is but the vulnerable need more doses.

You can see why people are confused.

My cousin's son had a lung transplant 2 years ago and it has been clear for a number of weeks to people in his position that they would get three full doses and a booster. This isn't new information to those who need to know.

• Thanks 1

Is it safe to go to a game ? Dr in the Downing Street press conference held earlier this evening says go to a stadium to get jabbed but not to go to a match and the suggested figures for increased hospitalisation seem pretty stark. Although I appreciate that outdoor events are meant to be safer I thought that CL matches were blamed for localised Covid outbreaks at the start of the pandemic when we had a less transmittable strain. 

While we are all  living through these dreadful times where the focus seems to be completely on Covid I have now had first hand experience of the knock on effect of Covid.

My Dad had a number of colonoscopies prior to Covid, had numerous polyps removed and was given the all clear 3 years ago, unfortunately due to Covid his check ups lapsed.

Now, 3 years on I had my very tearful mum call me to tell me he has bowel cancer and will need his bowel removing.

This I suspect will be a drop in the ocean of missed appointments, late diagnosis and despair and devastation  for many families.

• Sad 17

16 minutes ago, Line-X said:

The bronchus are lined with hair-like projections called cilia that move microbes and debris up and out of the airways. Scattered throughout the cilia are cells that secrete mucus which helps protect the lining of the bronchus and trap microorganisms. This is the same as nasal passageways and other parts of the upper respiratory tract, filtering out dust and other particles that enter the nose through the breathed air. The common cold, flu, and most coughs are infections in the upper respiratory tract. Mucus acts as a physical barrier, trapping inhaled particles and pathogens, whilst cilia move both the mucus layer and fluid. These defences may be disrupted by viral and bacterial infections. Human rhinovirus (HRV) for example, which accounts for 50% of cases of the common cold has a special affinity for the nasal airway mucosa/cilia.

That was like being back my original Para course doing Anat and Phys. lol:appl:

22 minutes ago, Line-X said:

A new study from the University of Hong Kong, yet to be peer reviewed, demonstrates that omicron replicates extraordinarily well - even far better than either Delta or the original virus - in bronchial tissue. This could partially account for the rapid spread/transmission between people. The initial data, yet to be peer-reviewed, came from experiments using lung tissue samples taken from patients during surgery. By 24 hours, the Omicron variant had replicated about 70 times more than Delta and the original virus. Although the bronchus is not the upper respiratory system, it is thought that this could lead to people shedding more virus and passing on infections more easily. This compliments recent work showing Omicron infects cells more readily, add to an emerging picture that the variant significantly more transmissible in addition to evading existing immunity. The good news though, is that Omicron infection in the lung itself is significantly lower than the original SARS-CoV-2, which may be an indicator of lower disease severity...and adaptation. 

This raises an optimistic possibility that the virus is in the process of transitioning to become more flu-like in nature which may explain reports of differing and milder symptoms. Hear me out on this.

The bronchus are lined with hair-like projections called cilia that move microbes and debris up and out of the airways. Scattered throughout the cilia are cells that secrete mucus which helps protect the lining of the bronchus and trap microorganisms. This is the same as nasal passageways and other parts of the upper respiratory tract, filtering out dust and other particles that enter the nose through the breathed air. The common cold, flu, and most coughs are infections in the upper respiratory tract. Mucus acts as a physical barrier, trapping inhaled particles and pathogens, whilst cilia move both the mucus layer and fluid. These defences may be disrupted by viral and bacterial infections. Human rhinovirus (HRV) for example, which accounts for 50% of cases of the common cold has a special affinity for the nasal airway mucosa/cilia. Unfortunately the study did not take samples to similarly assess whether there is similar replication in the tissue of the nasal passageway.

If anyone's got a few weeks to kill, patient access to clinical samples and a shit ton of funding at their disposal?...

Do you spend all of your free time reading and reciting medical information?  A hobby perhaps? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

While we are all  living through these dreadful times where the focus seems to be completely on Covid I have now had first hand experience of the knock on effect of Covid.

My Dad had a number of colonoscopies prior to Covid, had numerous polyps removed and was given the all clear 3 years ago, unfortunately due to Covid his check ups lapsed.

Now, 3 years on I had my very tearful mum call me to tell me he has bowel cancer and will need his bowel removing.

This I suspect will be a drop in the ocean of missed appointments, late diagnosis and despair and devastation  for many families.

Sorry to hear that, I hope he makes a full recovery.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Is it normal for family of partners to demand tests to be done before meeting up over Christmas? Interested to see what peoples thoughts are. 

Seems like a good idea? I always take a LFT before going to any kind of gathering, it takes 2 minutes and isn't much hassle.

7 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very sorry to hear this mate :(

All I can say is that having my own bowel removed in 2004, I'm still alive and kicking. It's obviously different now and I do have complications, but hopefully your Dad recovers well from surgery and goes on to enjoy his remaining years.

Best of luck to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

All I can say is that having my own bowel removed in 2004, I'm still alive and kicking. It's obviously different now and I do have complications, but hopefully your Dad recovers well from surgery and goes on to enjoy his remaining years.

Best of luck to him.

Thanks so much, and thanks for sharing what happened to you, I will take the positives from that. 
Everything is such a mess at the moment and things are only going to get worse unfortunately, the fall out from Covid will be felt for years to come.

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Best of luck to him.

Shit a brick in a Bag.

Sorry. I know it's not an easy thing to live with. I've experienced infected and/or leaking stomas. Horrible for all concerned. It really helps if you've got a good stoma nurse in the community that can manage this.

Adaptation is key.

17 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very sorry to hear that chap, that is horrible news :( I hope his surgery goes well and he makes a full recovery.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

i'm pretty sure that your booster starts protecting you within a few days. i don't believe it takes as long as the first and second jabs.  those of us who had a reaction to the booster (which is presumably our antibodies being awakened thinking that we have encountered covid) did so fairly quickly. 

Not sure the two are related, I had a fairly bad reaction to the 2nd jab within hours of having it, but I believe that doesn't kick in in terns of protection for a couple of weeks 

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Thanks so much, and thanks for sharing what happened to you, I will take the positives from that. 
Everything is such a mess at the moment and things are only going to get worse unfortunately, the fall out from Covid will be felt for years to come.

If you've ever got any questions about your Dad's surgery, recovery, or how to manage things afterwards, always feel free to DM me mate. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, reynard said:

My cousin's son had a lung transplant 2 years ago and it has been clear for a number of weeks to people in his position that they would get three full doses and a booster. This isn't new information to those who need to know.

That's fine, thanks for letting us know.

Hope your cousin's son is ok.

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Shit a brick in a Bag.

Sorry. I know it's not an easy thing to live with. I've experienced infected and/or leaking stomas. Horrible for all concerned. It really helps if you've got a good stoma nurse in the community that can manage this.

Adaptation is key.

I had a stoma for about a year and it was the worst year of my life. My stoma nurses at John Radcliffe hospital Oxford were absolute angels though.

I was fortunate that I ended up having a three stage operation to take down the stoma and construct an internal 'j-pouch' from my small intestine instead.

Big respect to those who live with a stoma and bag every day. I couldn't handle it and became severely depressed as result.

P.S. sorry just realized we're in the covid thread - apologies for derailing it.

Edited by Izzy