Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

24 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

While we are all  living through these dreadful times where the focus seems to be completely on Covid I have now had first hand experience of the knock on effect of Covid.

My Dad had a number of colonoscopies prior to Covid, had numerous polyps removed and was given the all clear 3 years ago, unfortunately due to Covid his check ups lapsed.

Now, 3 years on I had my very tearful mum call me to tell me he has bowel cancer and will need his bowel removing.

This I suspect will be a drop in the ocean of missed appointments, late diagnosis and despair and devastation  for many families.

That's very upsetting, I'm sorry to hear this. I dread to think how many more illnesses have failed to be diagnosed. I can't get to see anyone about my thyroid condition either. It makes u scratch your head sometimes!

31 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

While we are all  living through these dreadful times where the focus seems to be completely on Covid I have now had first hand experience of the knock on effect of Covid.

My Dad had a number of colonoscopies prior to Covid, had numerous polyps removed and was given the all clear 3 years ago, unfortunately due to Covid his check ups lapsed.

Now, 3 years on I had my very tearful mum call me to tell me he has bowel cancer and will need his bowel removing.

This I suspect will be a drop in the ocean of missed appointments, late diagnosis and despair and devastation  for many families.

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. 

It almost seems like a lottery doesn't it? My Father had a similar experience with bladder cancer. Regular screening and surgery that is to remove polyps from the inner lining and fortunately not invasive on the wall. Since it is low grade and given that he is in his 80s, age will get him before his cancer. His treatment wasn't interrupted by the pandemic - simply due to very fortunate timing. 

I have a friend who is single, lives alone and whose chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer had to be suspended during the first lockdown. Upon resumption, it has been overwhelmingly successful. He was in remission, but this summer had a seizure and the subsequent scan revealed a shadow on the brain which is also cancer. Although in terms of treatment we are sure it will continue, but another lockdown would be utterly devastating to him regarding the severing of the nexus of support around him and having to endure this again in isolation. 

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad. I pray that you are all able to be together this Christmas without any restriction and continue to be there for him in person during such a difficult time. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Is it safe to go to a game ? Dr in the Downing Street press conference held earlier this evening says go to a stadium to get jabbed but not to go to a match and the suggested figures for increased hospitalisation seem pretty stark. Although I appreciate that outdoor events are meant to be safer I thought that CL matches were blamed for localised Covid outbreaks at the start of the pandemic when we had a less transmittable strain. 

Yeh that was in March 2020 when we weren’t all triple jabbed and bursting with immunity. I can’t imagine there’s anyone who’s not been infected with covid in the last 2 years it’s been circulating. Personally speaking I feel v safe in a football ground but it’s a question for yourself and your own risk tolerance 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Is it safe to go to a game ? Dr in the Downing Street press conference held earlier this evening says go to a stadium to get jabbed but not to go to a match and the suggested figures for increased hospitalisation seem pretty stark. Although I appreciate that outdoor events are meant to be safer I thought that CL matches were blamed for localised Covid outbreaks at the start of the pandemic when we had a less transmittable strain. 

Depends what your threshold for 'safe' is. It's not zero risk, there's public transport, closed concourses and mask-free shouting/chanting (more so in an away end). I'm pretty cautious and my personal risk tolerance is very low. I was happy to go to Leeds away being freshly triple jabbed with great protection against Delta, but decided Burnley away in mid Jan with a peaking Omicron and a 3 month old booster was probably not worth risking. Obviously that can change as we're constantly learning more about what Omicron does.

Also just to add that I'm not afraid of dying from Covid (as someone low risk), but more about potentially getting long Covid with a permanent impact to quality of life. Having seen a friend get similar post-viral CFS/ME for years after a non-Covid viral illness.

Edited by brucey
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh that was in March 2020 when we weren’t all triple jabbed and bursting with immunity. I can’t imagine there’s anyone who’s not been infected with covid in the last 2 years it’s been circulating. Personally speaking I feel v safe in a football ground but it’s a question for yourself and your own risk tolerance 

If you mean infected or jabbed then the we are indeed speaking about perhaps 90%+ of adults 

if you mean natural infection only then the vast majority have not been infected 

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Crap news mate.

All the best to your family.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If you mean infected or jabbed then the we are indeed speaking about perhaps 90%+ of adults 

if you mean natural infection only then the vast majority have not been infected 

Yeh natural infection, that’s what I mean. I can’t imagine there’s a serious chunk of the population that hasn’t been naturally infected by now. We’re talking about a virus that’s been going around since Jan 2020 with an R rate as high as 3 at some points. Considering a lot of people will be asymptomatic and we were living a normal life until March 23 2020, many millions more than the stats say have surely had covid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

How desperately sad for you - all the best to you all.

• Thanks 1

Anybody with any knowledge able to give me some advice?

After my second jab (Pfizer) I had a reaction which resulted in a nasty skin rash. Despite treatment, this rash is still coming and going.

Do I get my booster in any case, or am I likely to have another reaction, thus worsening what I currently have as a result of my second jab? Really unsure as to whether I should have it. For context I’m a healthy (I think!) 23 year-old. 

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

After my second jab (Pfizer) I had a reaction which resulted in a nasty skin rash. Despite treatment, this rash is still coming and going.

Do I get my booster in any case, or am I likely to have another reaction, thus worsening what I currently have as a result of my second jab? Really unsure as to whether I should have it. For context I’m a healthy (I think!) 23 year-old. 

Thanks! 

Call your GP first thing tomorrow 

9 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Thanks! 

Define 'any knowledge'...

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Thanks! 

An indication to where the rash actually is might help.

36 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh natural infection, that’s what I mean. I can’t imagine there’s a serious chunk of the population that hasn’t been naturally infected by now. We’re talking about a virus that’s been going around since Jan 2020 with an R rate as high as 3 at some points. Considering a lot of people will be asymptomatic and we were living a normal life until March 23 2020, many millions more than the stats say have surely had covid. 

Probably before that, I think I had Covid last January, had the symptoms and a cough for a bit over 3 months, out of breath for a few months too etc. - took ages to fully go. My wife and her family all had it too, and this was something that was going around since the December. Could, of course, have been something else, but would be a real coincidence. If that was Covid, then there must be millions and millions of unrecorded cases. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

An indication to where the rash actually is might help.

Lower arms/Elbows/hamstring area.

Had a chat with my GP yesterday, and the general jist was it should be ok and I should have it, but he also said ultimately there’s no evidence to give him the confidence to say that with 100% certainty (doesn’t know how anyone else who had my side effect has reacted to the booster). So not very reassuring anyway! 

Edited by Devonfox1884

5 minutes ago, danny. said:

Probably before that, I think I had Covid last January, had the symptoms and a cough for a bit over 3 months, out of breath for a few months too etc. - took ages to fully go. My wife and her family all had it too, and this was something that was going around since the December. Could, of course, have been something else, but would be a real coincidence. If that was Covid, then there must be millions and millions of unrecorded cases. 

Tbf yeh, even before that! I think I read somewhere there were some detected cases in france, that were then confirmed to be covid, in October 2019.