Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

If the Corona virus is a man made virus, designed to wreck economies across the globe, it’s bloody working isn’t it 

It would be interesting to know how much China is profiting from this, given that aren't most LFTs made in china? Not to mention masks, protective equipment, plastic junk people buy out of boredom during the lockdowns.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I wouldn't be doing it personally, but possibly go down the fining people who refuse route? I think that's what they're doing in other parts of Europe 

We've already tried this approach back in the Victorian period with the smallpox vaccination. There were exactly the same arguments then about civil liberties and ignorant people who though the vaccine would harm them etc etc. Not surprisingly they were all proved wrong over time and we've been able to eradicate that awful disease, though it took 200 years. 

I'm afraid, as has always been the case, there will always be people who refuse vaccination. But I can fully sympathise with those at the front line of the medical profession who are utterly sick and tired of treating those who refuse to be vaccinated and who are those largely clogging up health systems around the world.

• Like 1

This recent spate of covid amongst the PL clubs, I'm assuming this is pretty much all Omicron because how else is this spreading so rapidly? Especially given those who are unvaccinated have to isolate but clearly can't be reported as having covid as we have alluded to with our players not available. Somethings afoot.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Your vernacular betrays it.

If somebody with no medical reason to avoid the jab does so and subsequently requires treatment for the virus, yeah that feels like an unfair burden on the system.  Seems like you agree with the sentiment that it's a bit selfish not to do so, so are you just debating the severity of language used?  I guess that's fair enough.

Mandating jabs?  Where's that come from?

Fatties. Fat blobs. I was just being facetious.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather the past 2 days. I had put it down to the flu jab but my nose started streaming today so I must have a virus. Done a couple of LFTs which are negative so I'm thinking it's just a cold. It has made me think though, if I've caught a cold it could have just as easily been Covid. I'm basically hibernating at home until Christmas now as don't want to risk getting it/spreading it to family I'll be seeing. Was already going to miss tonight's game anyway and probably won't be back until the New Year (if by then we're still allowed!)

14 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Talk of record Covid cases. Yes it is but also to be taken with a pinch of salt. We are testing more than 4 times as much as in January so if we were at the same level as then we would need to be hitting over 250,000 cases a day.

Also, good to see that deaths and hospitalisations are still decreasing/stabilising respectively. However, the next few weeks will show us more.

Seriously, if you can’t see the effect of omicron in the daily numbers then you’re deliberately ignoring it. No one is saying that it’s going to lead to Armageddon but at least acknowledge that we could easily be pushing 150k daily cases by Xmas. (I wonder at what point the labs can’t cope with the numbers and therefore they become unreliable day by day ?) 

Perhaps don’t rely on the govt numbers and look at the ONS numbers tomorrow which are comparable with twelve months ago re methodology. You will see that we are going way higher than we were in the alpha wave re daily cases. 

Edited by st albans fox

8 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Talk of record Covid cases. Yes it is but also to be taken with a pinch of salt. We are testing more than 4 times as much as in January so if we were at the same level as then we would need to be hitting over 250,000 cases a day.

Also, good to see that deaths and hospitalisations are still decreasing/stabilising respectively. However, the next few weeks will show us more.

It really is not as simple as that.  Back in January nearly all testing was on those coming forward with symtoms.  Today many more tests are carried out on the asymptomatic,   the vast majority of whom will test negative.  So you cannot assume that the percentage actually carrying Covid back in January would be the same as testing positive today.  

41 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

It would be interesting to know how much China is profiting from this, given that aren't most LFTs made in china? Not to mention masks, protective equipment, plastic junk people buy out of boredom during the lockdowns.

China have lost a lot in output since this started in comparison with before ……..they haven’t benefited overall. They would have been better off economically without covid ….

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Get on with life as best you can, turn off the news and live it like it was meant to be lived :cool:

Which I'm afraid to say is precisely what's prolonging this. 

44 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

turn off the news 

Unless it's something that affects you - such as The Streets cancelling their tour in the new year. 

27 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I've been feeling a bit under the weather the past 2 days. I had put it down to the flu jab but my nose started streaming today so I must have a virus. Done a couple of LFTs which are negative so I'm thinking it's just a cold. It has made me think though, if I've caught a cold it could have just as easily been Covid. I'm basically hibernating at home until Christmas now as don't want to risk getting it/spreading it to family I'll be seeing. Was already going to miss tonight's game anyway and probably won't be back until the New Year (if by then we're still allowed!)

Don’t mean to piss on your bonfire mate, but the same happened to me. Took 5 days of taking LFTs before it turned positive. Basically, my advice to you is keep an eye on it, especially if you plan to come in contact with anybody that is high risk 

Edited by phoneticerror

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Seeing how football has been affected should be a warning at least. We’ve gone through a seasons worth prior to this without any issues from the players. The odd case, odd game cancelled but nothing major. Just look at over the last weeks fixtures! 

cases rocketing and it’s getting very serious and worrying. Mild version or not, a small percentage of a lot is quite frightening. 

I hope that the vaccine/past infections  holds up and keeps the vast majority out of hospitals. Feel for the people who work in the NHS, it’s a massive task coming in the next few weeks! 

Being selfish is not going to be the solution, think of others. 

Government should be tripling their pay to try and keep their spirits up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Mild version or not, a small percentage of a lot is quite frightening. 

I hope that the vaccine/past infections  holds up and keeps the vast majority out of hospitals. Feel for the people who work in the NHS, it’s a massive task coming in the next few weeks! 

Being selfish is not going to be the solution, think of others. 

^

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seriously, if you can’t see the effect of omicron in the daily numbers then you’re deliberately ignoring it. No one is saying that it’s going to lead to Armageddon but at least acknowledge that we could easily be pushing 150k daily cases by Xmas. (I wonder at what point the labs can’t cope with the numbers and therefore they become unreliable day by day ?) 

Perhaps don’t rely on the govt numbers and look at the ONS numbers tomorrow which are comparable with twelve months ago re methodology. You will see that we are going way higher than we were in the alpha wave re daily cases. 

Are you OK? Bit of an OTT response. At what point did I say this is something to shrug off? I was putting some context to figures. The best comparison as mentioned above is ONS data. The way deaths and hospitalisations are displayed, to my knowledge, have not changed since January so are a good indicator.

I was trying to add more of a positive tone but it seems to have completely evaded you. Either by choice or miscommunication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Which I'm afraid to say is precisely what's prolonging this. 

Unless it's something that affects you - such as The Streets cancelling their tour in the new year. 

Haha yeah it’s those rule breakers who are prolonging this, nothing to do with the fact it’s a virus. All those measures we took have worked so well lol

You’ll be telling me my not wearing a mask isn’t helping the situation next. 

55 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I did a couple of laterals on Novrmber 15th when I started feeling sh1t which were negative. Booked a PCR for next day which was lucky as I got progressively worse at night.

PCR was positive.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

If you don't want to be taken literally, then don't literally type "the covid is the worse thing ever brigade". I simply wondered who you were referring to? Because as far as I can tell it refers to a core of about a dozen posters on this thread who are incapable of comprehending anything outside of their own self-centred myopia.

I certainly do have great faith in science, but ultimately, whether our sentience causes us to overestimate or overplay our significance as a species in the universe - or, that we truly are destined to prevail and seed galaxies, the earth that we currently have a tenancy on can tear this up and consign us to a fossil record in the blink of an eye. 

What we have in our own arsenal in the short-term may well be what we should fear the most. 

The thing that you miss is that these people are under the illusion that they do - and in so doing, unwittingly filter out what doesn't conform to their preconceptions. You've seen such illusory superiority on this thread. But I'm not talking about those too dim to see beyond their own cherry picked confirmation bias and quote mining. Rather, the conspiracy theorists and believers that you refer to, that brand themselves as 'critical thinkers', but in reality have no clue what genuine scepticism actually involves. They like to imagine that they are among the few people who are smart enough to see through a huge global agenda or cover up that has fooled the vast masses of their "inferiors". That the rest of us are asleep or too blind to notice...because? - they read it on the internet or watched a You Tube video which substitutes for the education that eluded them and they then hilariously term 'thinking out of the box'. Through sheer gullibility and a large helping of Dunning Kruger syndrome, they get off on pretending that they're one of the small discerning minority too clever to be fooled whilst mindlessly consuming and regurgitating horseshit off social media that they seem to regard as some font of arcane knowledge only visible to the anointed /initiated few.  

On the literally point, that’s why I said ‘hugely ironic’ as I’m normally moaning about people not reading my posts and not taking me literally, now the opposite! 

on the second point, I completely agree with you. What you’ve typed is what I’m getting at. Nobody chooses their sources of info, but they all think they do. The poster above absolutely proves my point. They've quoted Spotify and mark strong as an example of a covid message being everywhere. That means nothing to me. They’ve also stated the govt messaging around vaccine safety is everywhere. I guarantee you there’ll be hundreds of thousands in this country who haven’t heard it, due to living in their bubbles. But of course all under the illusion ‘they choose their sources of info.’ As I’ve said I’ve started working more with data filtering and manipulation in my current role. My employer has agreed to fund a higher level formal qualification into the area next year. Hopefully soon I can be the manipulator!! 

• Like 1

Again, you completely and utterly miss the point. 

I have no intention of berating you or being sanctimonious, but you come on here yet again and arrogantly brazenly and actually selfishly post about ignoring the news and "getting on with your life" like you did last summer, and my response then was the same as it is now...this is a global healthcare crisis and new variants will continue to emerge.

29 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Haha yeah it’s those rule breakers who are prolonging this, nothing to do with the fact it’s a virus.

The fact that it is a virus means that contrary to your post, rule breaking can indeed prolong this. You absolutely should monitor the news and accept that there will be times that you might not be able to "get on with your life" - as you found out when your gig was cancelled - which again appears to be the only thing that you find concerning, any direct effect on you. Just be grateful that it's Mike Skinner that's being rescheduled not major surgery or treatment. 

And yes, those that brag about flouting or disregarding the rules are the same ones that crap themselves and go into complete meltdown at the suggestion of any future restrictions or when a poxy gig gets cancelled. 

All those measures we took have worked so well lol

??? Do you actually understand the purpose of "all those measures" at the time? Social distancing and lockdown prior to vaccination saved millions of lives across Europe and averted widespread failure or even collapse of healthcare services. As you said yourself, this is a virus, the dynamic is ongoing. It is also here for years to come. 

You’ll be telling me my not wearing a mask isn’t helping the situation next. 

Why do you think that it is? And why wouldn't you wear a face covering in an indoor or poorly ventilated space during a twin pandemic that thrives on the transmission of airborne droplets? 

Utterly ****ing astounding. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

On the literally point, that’s why I said ‘hugely ironic’ as I’m normally moaning about people not reading my posts and not taking me literally, now the opposite! 

on the second point, I completely agree with you. What you’ve typed is what I’m getting at. Nobody chooses their sources of info, but they all think they do. The poster above absolutely proves my point. They've quoted Spotify and mark strong as an example of a covid message being everywhere. That means nothing to me. They’ve also stated the govt messaging around vaccine safety is everywhere. I guarantee you there’ll be hundreds of thousands in this country who haven’t heard it, due to living in their bubbles. But of course all under the illusion ‘they choose their sources of info.’ As I’ve said I’ve started working more with data filtering and manipulation in my current role. My employer has agreed to fund a higher level formal qualification into the area next year. Hopefully soon I can be the manipulator!! 

I can put you in touch with a very talented research student if you like, whose current doctoral thesis is addressing the legal implications of digital regulation to address the problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Again, you completely and utterly miss the point. 

I have no intention of berating you or being sanctimonious, but you come on here yet again and arrogantly brazenly and actually selfishly post about ignoring the news and "getting on with your life" like you did last summer, and my response then was the same as it is now...this is a global healthcare crisis and new variants will continue to emerge.

The fact that it is a virus means that contrary to your post, rule breaking can indeed prolong this. You absolutely should monitor the news and accept that there will be times that you might not be able to "get on with your life" - as you found out when your gig was cancelled - which again appears to be the only thing that you find concerning, any direct effect on you. Just be grateful that it's Mike Skinner that's being rescheduled not major surgery or treatment. 

And yes, those that brag about flouting or disregarding the rules are the same ones that crap themselves and go into complete meltdown at the suggestion of any future restrictions or when a poxy gig gets cancelled. 

??? Do you actually understand the purpose of "all those measures" at the time? Social distancing and lockdown prior to vaccination saved millions of lives across Europe and averted widespread failure or even collapse of healthcare services. 

Why do you think that it is? And why wouldn't you wear a face covering in an indoor or poorly ventilated space during a twin pandemic that thrives on the transmission of airborne droplets? 

Utterly ****ing astounding. 

I’ll send you an invite for the big kitchen sesh I’ll be having to replace The Streets gig, be hundreds of people there but as long as I’m ok hey?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

China have lost a lot in output since this started in comparison with before ……..they haven’t benefited overall. They would have been better off economically without covid ….

China notoriously don’t report accurate economic figures. Also, if you’re of the ‘China caused this’ method of thinking then look at this as an investment. A few years growing at 2-3% (still v good) to then be replaced by double digit growth once the west has been decimated. Not what I think btw