Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I had all 5 of these symptoms 3 weeks ago when I had a heavy cold.

Just carried on though, heavy cold, particularly at night.  Headaches in the morning.  Felt not too great but just got on with it.  Dose up with lemsip and the sudafed.  Jakemans in the evening.

If you're listing symptoms like these and encouraging people to get tested off the back of these, there will be no end to this.  

Screenshot_20211216-212811_Samsung Internet.jpg

We’ve had people at work coming in with these symptoms, testing negative on lateral flows ‘It’s just a cold’. Then suddenly they get a positive result and the rest of the office is oh FFS! 

I think given the infection rates we have to assume it’s covid and they need to get tested. 

On the two current topics of conversation:

- As discussed before, the Chinese would have to be criminally stupid for many different reasons to release this thing deliberately, so I don't get the theory there.

- As also mentioned before, a virus really doesn't care about what any of us want and it will keep on doing what it's doing until we stop it. Not before. People take the way the Earth is now, viz. totally pleasant for humans in terms of habitability for granted, they shouldn't.

36 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Fair enough; I’ll put it like this:

Let’s say there were no restrictions and no vaccinations. Let’s say everyone has just continued about their business. What would have happened? Answer: More and more people would have contracted the virus, and a proportion of those (originally around 5%, maybe more) would have needed hospital treatment. Only hospital treatment, of course, is a finite resource. So it only stands to reason that we end up with people getting ill with Covid and being denied hospital treatment, because there isn’t any resource to do it. Or hospital staff having to decide who gets treatment and who doesn’t. Hence, some people die who would not have done had they got treatment. And there’s nothing the medics can do about it.

And not just Covid patients, but because the NHS is so bunged up from having to fight a wave of Covid all at once, but people with other life-threatening ailments can’t get treatment either (because the NHS is at full capacity). So some of them die too.

Or alternatively, maybe we just don’t treat Covid patients at all. (If you can work out who has Covid and who doesn’t, which you can’t always.) So then if - or rather when - you catch Covid, if you live you live, if you die you die. And, of course, more people will die as compared to actually getting treatment, not just new drugs but things like oxygen therapy or treatment for blood clots (more prevalent with actual Covid than vaccines).

Because that’s what I’m talking here - not just avoidable as in “I should have looked to the right before stepping out in front of that bus”, but actual denial of medical treatment for any number of conditions because the NHS is overwhelmed.

I'm still a bit confused I'm not going to lie, I don't see the point in taking vaccinations off the table in this when we have a vast majority of vaccinated people within the country and one of the best vaccination rates in the world. 

Is your classification of an avoidable death basically anybody who can't get the treatment? Rather than specifically a death from covid.Because I think that's a bigger issue than covid, it's an issue with our NHS not being able to cope a lot during this time of year and is clearly not fit for purpose in its current form.

14 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Reading the last few pages and who might be to blame or who might stand to benefit.
Well one thing’s for sure,the rich (so far)have definitely not suffered as of yet.

When it comes to acts of nature, the last word there is by far the most important.

Riches are only so much of a shield from what the Earth can throw at us, especially when all of the things that make the rich happy depend on other people to deliver them.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

When it comes to acts of nature, the last word there is by far the most important.

Riches are only so much of a shield from what the Earth can throw at us, especially when all of the things that make the rich happy depend on other people to deliver them.

Yes and I agree with all yr posts in the last few pages about the different what if’s when it comes to handing out blame.
Just pointing out that the mega rich haven’t suffered so far and have actually benefited to a large degree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes and I agree with all yr posts in the last few pages about the different what if’s when it comes to handing out blame.
Just pointing out that the mega rich haven’t suffered so far and have actually benefited to a large degree.

And of that there is no doubt, thus far. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Dunge said:

Fair enough; I’ll put it like this:

Let’s say there were no restrictions and no vaccinations. Let’s say everyone has just continued about their business. What would have happened? Answer: More and more people would have contracted the virus, and a proportion of those (originally around 5%, maybe more) would have needed hospital treatment. Only hospital treatment, of course, is a finite resource. So it only stands to reason that we end up with people getting ill with Covid and being denied hospital treatment, because there isn’t any resource to do it. Or hospital staff having to decide who gets treatment and who doesn’t. Hence, some people die who would not have done had they got treatment. And there’s nothing the medics can do about it.

And not just Covid patients, but because the NHS is so bunged up from having to fight a wave of Covid all at once, but people with other life-threatening ailments can’t get treatment either (because the NHS is at full capacity). So some of them die too.

Or alternatively, maybe we just don’t treat Covid patients at all. (If you can work out who has Covid and who doesn’t, which you can’t always.) So then if - or rather when - you catch Covid, if you live you live, if you die you die. And, of course, more people will die as compared to actually getting treatment, not just new drugs but things like oxygen therapy or treatment for blood clots (more prevalent with actual Covid than vaccines).

Because that’s what I’m talking here - not just avoidable as in “I should have looked to the right before stepping out in front of that bus”, but actual denial of medical treatment for any number of conditions because the NHS is overwhelmed.

Quite incredible that this has to be pointed out over and over again to those who are blind from refusing to see. Good job.

Just to add. The more hospitals get overwhelmed I would imagine, the more difficult it would be to avoid cross infection, where patients enter hospital for a non-Covid issue and end up catching whilst in a vulnerable condition. Not to mention the appalling prospect for health workers having to work all day in full PPE.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Guest Col city fan
10 hours ago, Phube said:

Two scariest phrases I hear at the moment:

•People will do the right thing

•people should use their common sense

Because if the last 5 years have taught us anything is the General Public absolutely can NOT be trusted!!

Amen to that…

The pandemic has brought out the best and the worst in people. 

8 hours ago, Kasey Keller said:

My bosses wife works in the fire brigade, and she has been told to expect a fire break or circuit breaker for 2-3 weeks from January 1st.

Those who appreciate that this is just maths have been expecting this since the R number of 2-3 was publicised from s Africa 

we should be doing that now but Xmas and school holidays will help a bit

the only questions are :

if by 27 dec there are no signs of hospitalisations increasing in a ratio where things are going to get ugly then nothing will happen pre new year 

So We may get new year - otherwise we won’t and it will be described as a three week circuit break rather than a lockdown. I just hope they allow outdoor sports and schools to continue. 

4 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Reading the last few pages and who might be to blame or who might stand to benefit.
Well one thing’s for sure,the rich (so far)have definitely not suffered as of yet.

I guess it depends how you define ‘rich’. I see you came back with ‘mega rich’. Tbh, there aren’t that many who fall into this category. I’m more intrigued by those who have become v wealthy off the back of the PPE nonsense over the first six months. 

We’re in a straight up race between omicron and vaccinations. Boosters hit 750k yesterday, let’s keep it going up and up. We are bombarded by doomsday talk of the nhs being overwhelmed, however the vaccines are proven to work so there’s no need for more snap measures to protect the nhs, unless we stop getting jabbed!! If you don’t believe in the efficacy of the vaccines, well then yes, lockdown 

So the total positive PCR tests following my wife’s company party last Friday is now 23 out of 39 who attended. Of those about half claim to feel absolutely dreadful and the 60 year old, who has had the booster, is actually quite poorly. Most had symptoms within 2 days and nearly all within 3 days of the party which suggests these are Omicron infections.

The wife of one of the positive cases, (she didn’t attend with him) did lateral flows each day until Thursday and then had a PCR yesterday as she had symptoms. That has come back positive this morning. She has just done another lateral flow just out of curiosity and it still says negative. I suspect that the LFT’s are not very accurate against Omicron so please be aware if you are visiting at risk people and if you have any symptoms get PCR tested before any big Christmas gatherings.

12 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

He was.

Another Tory boy lie.  The event was held at Cardiff University in November 2021,  when there was no restrictions on such events.  Given his position yes he ought to have worm a mask,  if only to avoid the sort of headlines he recieved,  however it is very clear what he was doing was in no way illegal and no one except you as alleged that it was as far as I can see.

Edited by Robo61
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Solihullfox said:

So the total positive PCR tests following my wife’s company party last Friday is now 23 out of 39 who attended. Of those about half claim to feel absolutely dreadful and the 60 year old, who has had the booster, is actually quite poorly. Most had symptoms within 2 days and nearly all within 3 days of the party which suggests these are Omicron infections.

The wife of one of the positive cases, (she didn’t attend with him) did lateral flows each day until Thursday and then had a PCR yesterday as she had symptoms. That has come back positive this morning. She has just done another lateral flow just out of curiosity and it still says negative. I suspect that the LFT’s are not very accurate against Omicron so please be aware if you are visiting at risk people and if you have any symptoms get PCR tested before any big Christmas gatherings.

They aren’t very accurate against any strain to be honest, I hope everyone is well though.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

In what way is he a Marxist, please? 

And, for what it's worth, "to each according to his needs" might not be the worst approach ever when the entire world *needs* a means of fighting this force of nature in order to stop it.

This is all about human life, not money. Or it should be, anyway.