Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

29 minutes ago, Sly said:

The NHS is both underfund in areas,  seriously mismanaged in others. Unfortunately it’s like a big corporate company and its struggling to

turn the ship around quick enough to survive. 

That’ll be because the board of directors of the shipping line keep throwing icebergs at the good ship NHS so they can say ‘look, it’s full of holes’ and sell it off cheap to their friends

2 hours ago, Sly said:

The NHS is both underfund in areas,  seriously mismanaged in others. Unfortunately it’s like a big corporate company and its struggling to

turn the ship around quick enough to survive. 

It's only the herculean efforts of the NHS and care home staff that is getting us through this at all, despite being handicapped by the government's staggering ineptitude.

It's no wonder @z-layrex and his colleagues have had enough.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fightforever said:

A friend who is studying psychology explained to me that a good pluraility of the population have a type of personality where if things aren't always the way they are used to things being they will become unhealthy and lose basic reasoning skills. With the amount that has changed since 2020 these people to put it simply are losing their minds. I would imagine pre pandemic most of these would have scoffed at these idiotic fringe posts.

Don't excuse them. 

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nor allow for it, as prevalent it may be, for long term it has consequences that will only be dire for humanity. Adaptation and change to new circumstances are vital for any species.

Anyone resisting vaccination without just cause is an enemy to the future of the community. 

Selfish, moronic, anti-intellectual. I wouldn't be against punching them in the face as standard response. 

• Haha 1

Just posted this in the PL thread but probably better here.... 

Pat Nevin is right on this. Any unvaccinated City player (and I think we know who they are) needs to be removed from Seagrave and out of the squad. Enough. 

Premier League and government urge footballers to get Covid-19 vaccine - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59702363

• Like 1

Not that I'm saying my job is same as ICU but I left teaching a few months ago - as in traditional school/ college face to face. 

I'm now private sector, work from home and, yes I don't get the holiday I used to (as well as pension pot) but I'm also not seeing every day as a fight just to get through. I lasted nearly 10 years but I last worked in a school in 2020, where there was limited mask wearing, horrendous behaviour and it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. 

Sad fact is that this government have chronically underfunded and supported everything, leading to people in public services leaving. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Just posted this in the PL thread but probably better here.... 

Pat Nevin is right on this. Any unvaccinated City player (and I think we know who they are) needs to be removed from Seagrave and out of the squad. Enough. 

Premier League and government urge footballers to get Covid-19 vaccine - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59702363

How do you know that wasn't already done?

7 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Yes very true. I'm just one of hundreds in my big London trust alone. I think out of of our staff base of roughly 400 ICU nurses, since the pandemic began 200+ have quit. Replacements are mostly very junior with little to no ICU experience.

So in your opinion why is the NHS in decline. Is it underfunded, is it overly bureaucratic, poorly/overly managed. Is it demand from 67million people.  Or a combination of those? Not withstanding covid, a winter NHS crisis is nothing new. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What, you mean removed from the club? Perhaps they have been :dunno:

'We have 7 players unavailable for napoli due to positive and other related issues and illnesses'

Rumours from the Times off a January circuit break for two weeks. In part still allowing hospitality business to open but outdoor only (probably the worst outcome for them). 

I don’t think circuit breakers work at all; if you assume the idea behind lockdown/circuit breakers is to lessen the load on the NHS, you need at least four weeks because of the lag 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

So in your opinion why is the NHS in decline. Is it underfunded, is it overly bureaucratic, poorly/overly managed. Is it demand from 67million people.  Or a combination of those? Not withstanding covid, a winter NHS crisis is nothing new. 

It is because those in power want it to fail, so they force it to fail, then they can break it up, saying 'see? - it failed' and sell it to their greedy mates.

Next question?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nor allow for it, as prevalent it may be, for long term it has consequences that will only be dire for humanity. Adaptation and change to new circumstances are vital for any species.

Agreed. Darwinian. The weak, infirm and stupid (sorry for these harsh terms!!) will be filtered out in the adaptation 

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Rumours from the Times off a January circuit break for two weeks. In part still allowing hospitality business to open but outdoor only (probably the worst outcome for them). 

I don’t think circuit breakers work at all; if you assume the idea behind lockdown/circuit breakers is to lessen the load on the NHS, you need at least four weeks because of the lag 

Outdoor hospitality in January. Good luck with that. Its never ever gonna last 2 weeks. More likely 2 months. 

January is typically the quietest month for hospitality. People tighten belts after Christmas and I remember working in pubs, you'd be mental right up to New Year's Eve and then it was dead until, at the very least, early Feb but usually Valentine's day. 

If you're going to have a break - that's the time to do it. 

But I also think there'll be plenty of people who, like me, haven't really missed pubs and restaurants all that much and don't feel any pressing need to go out to them. Much rather go to a friend's house now and A) save money B) feel more relaxed

18 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

'We have 7 players unavailable for napoli due to positive and other related issues and illnesses'

If 'related issues' means unvaccinated then those players should be told to stay away. We can't go on like this. They have had their chance. 

Eddie Howe has already said that Newcastle will look very carefully at a players vaccination status before signing them. I hope City and all other clubs take this stance. 

5 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agreed. Darwinian. The weak, infirm and stupid (sorry for these harsh terms!!) will be filtered out in the adaptation 

... and that only ends with an event that none of humanity can adapt to in time. 

Which is why our adaptation has to include as many people as possible and actually transcend Darwins ideas, rather than accepting them as is - even as we utilise them in a different way.

9 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Yes, but I think that it’s way more than ‘self-centred interest’ or ‘innate selfishness’ that has driven people to break the rules.

I don't. And those that I do know in this awful situation wouldn't arrogantly come on the internet and brag about their actions or consistently display shocking levels of ignorance. Would you like to see some examples of that?...or alternatively you can simply look for yourself. Two of them liked your post. You only have to take a cursory look at some of the posts on this thread from the same few to see where the motivation lies. 

People have broken rules because they have had hard decisions to make - mental health for many has plummeted. If it is a choice of being exposed to a virus with such a low mortality rate or seeing a friend - then I know which one most rational human beings would pick. 

'People'? - This is entirely anecdotal. As I mentioned to you, many "people" have abided by the rules to protect their loved ones and safeguard our health services quite possibly in much worse circumstances. They may have no choice and in such circumstances, I know which most rational human beings would pick. 

Covid-19 is a severe respiratory infection. Those that are unvaccinated are eleven times more likely to die of it than those that are. Prior to our vaccination programmes I believe I'm right in saying it was killing one in seventy people that contracted it. Patients who survive severe Covid are more than twice as likely to die over the following year than those who remain uninfected or experience milder virus symptoms. Also, Covid-19 can cause severe symptoms and death for vulnerable people, particularly those with underlying health conditions. Then there is long Covid, signs and symptoms that last for a few weeks or months after infection. Symptoms such as fatigue and shortness of breath can linger for months after the infection has passed. Taking your chances and hoping for successful treatment in the hospital doesn’t convey the full picture of the impact of Covid-19 which is precisely why preventive measures are so important. It has huge, currently incalculable knock on effects for our already beleaguered health services. 

On the one hand on this thread we have a frontline healthcare worker that has no other option than to quit his job in the interest of his health and wellbeing - on the other, we have someone complaining because they were asked to isolate on return from a holiday in the Canary Islands. 

Most of the people who have called others out for breaking rules are often those who have high socio-economic stability and live a cushty lifestyle. 

Evidence? 

In terms of this thread, if someone posts anti-scientific content or opinion over fact, then I amongst others will continue to call it out 

As I have said above, circumstances are different for many - this has been tougher for some people over others.

Agree. And throughout many have nonetheless adhered to guidelines. 

I understand your frustrations and your situation is very serious. However, it’s a boring narrative to call people self-centred for breaking the rules. Let’s face it, the rules in many cases have been farcical and inhumane.

We're talking about basic preventative measures which the same few members on this thread are ridiculing/scorning. Would you like me to copy you in next time it happens?

Regarding 'rules' - I do indeed find the notion of covid passports farcical and the LFTs can be seen as an immediate 'green light' when continued testing is needed, whish is frustrating. Regarding 'inhumane' - I'm assuming you're referring to lockdown which has saved millions of lives across Europe? 

Again, this isn't about 'rules' it's about a highly infectious global respiratory virus...and you'll find that there isn't anything remotely humane about that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, adam said:

Outdoor hospitality in January. Good luck with that. Its never ever gonna last 2 weeks. More likely 2 months. 

Exactly. Where is the cost benefit analysis. Do they really believe people will stop mixing indoors. It’s just utter madness. We are in danger of this becoming an annual event, to protect the NHS. 

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

We are in danger of this becoming an annual event, to protect the NHS

You do know why there is a desire ‘to protect the NHS,’ right? You do know what the NHS is for, what it does?

Protecting the NHS is about making it possible for the NHS to carry on providing treatment and care for those who need it. At the most basic level it’s about making sure the NHS can save people’s lives instead of having to watch people die because all the beds are full and half the staff have left because the job is impossible.

5 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Do they really believe people will stop mixing indoors.

Depends on the people. People who care about other people, people who are prepared to make some sacrifices for the greater good - yes, absolutely.

People like you - well, maybe not.

7 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Where is the cost benefit analysis.

om absolute effing g.

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I don't. And those that I do know in this awful situation wouldn't arrogantly come on the internet and brag about their actions or consistently display shocking levels of ignorance. Would you like to see some examples of that?...or alternatively you can simply look for yourself. Two of them liked your post. You only have to take a cursory look at some of the posts on this thread from the same few to see where the motivation lies. 

'People'? - This is entirely anecdotal. As I mentioned to you, many "people" have abided by the rules to protect their loved ones and safeguard our health services quite possibly in much worse circumstances. They may have no choice and in such circumstances, I know which most rational human beings would pick. 

Covid-19 is a severe respiratory infection. Those that are unvaccinated are eleven times more likely to die of it than those that are. Prior to our vaccination programmes I believe I'm right in saying it was killing one in seventy people that contracted it. Patients who survive severe Covid are more than twice as likely to die over the following year than those who remain uninfected or experience milder virus symptoms. Also, Covid-19 can cause severe symptoms and death for vulnerable people, particularly those with underlying health conditions. Then there is long Covid, signs and symptoms that last for a few weeks or months after infection. Symptoms such as fatigue and shortness of breath can linger for months after the infection has passed. Taking your chances and hoping for successful treatment in the hospital doesn’t convey the full picture of the impact of Covid-19 which is precisely why preventive measures are so important. It has huge, currently incalculable knock on effects for our already beleaguered health services. 

On the one hand on this thread we have a frontline healthcare worker that has no other option than to quit his job in the interest of his health and wellbeing - on the other, we have someone complaining because they were asked to isolate on return from a holiday in the Canary Islands. 

Evidence? 

In terms of this thread, if someone posts anti-scientific content or opinion over fact, then I amongst others will continue to call it out 

Agree. And throughout many have nonetheless adhered to guidelines. 

We're talking about basic preventative measures which the same few members on this thread are ridiculing/scorning. Would you like me to copy you in next time it happens?

Regarding 'rules' - I do indeed find the notion of covid passports farcical and the LFTs can be seen as an immediate 'green light' when continued testing is needed, whish is frustrating. Regarding 'inhumane' - I'm assuming you're referring to lockdown which has saved millions of lives across Europe? 

Again, this isn't about 'rules' it's about a highly infectious global respiratory virus...and you'll find that there isn't anything remotely humane about that. 

Fckin ada. You've had a night's sleep and still wake up like a bear with a sore head. Don't you ever relax?

I wasn't complaining about having to isolate, as you well know. I was highlighting the farce of spending two weeks in a location SAFER than the UK and then having to isolate as punishment. Not on public safety grounds. It was pure and simple spite.  My risk profile in those 2 weeks would've been far less than a yes man like you, proudly peacocking about telling the world how to behave. 

• Sad 1

Yep, I think that actually old people want to crack on. There is no way that should you be 85+, you would want to spend your final years in lockdown - it’s illogical. 

I do sympathise with @Line-X and I don’t want to come across as insensitive: however, his situation is not something that the majority face. Ultimately, even prior to Covid precautions would have to be taken. 

Thank you. Actually I think a great deal do and their situation is significantly worse. My father was only diagnosed this week. I rang him on Thursday evening to ask about his tests and he said it was all fine, only to find out when I dropped by the following day that he been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's early stages but he couldn't even tell me what the tests that week had consisted of. We noticed before the outbreak of Covid that he was prone to memory lapses, in particular names and faces and it has been gradually deteriorating. It's so sad that an individual whose entire life was defined by his brain is now finding that it is deserting him. Physically, he's fine, although his bladder cancer treatment coincided with lockdowns which was concerning. I think what is so sad about dementia is not simply the loss of your memories but the loss of who you are. 

• Like 1