Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

meanwhile in London …….

Latest government data has shown there are 1,534 Covid patients in London hospitals - up 28.6% on last week.

anyone know the increase in cases in London during the first ten days of December?  That would give us a point of reference. We know for sure that increased cases will lead to increased hospitalisations but the crucial point is how the ratio drops under omicron. that’s the number which will dictate govt policy on further restrictions and also make the general population a little less worried once Xmas is done. 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

meanwhile in London …….

Latest government data has shown there are 1,534 Covid patients in London hospitals - up 28.6% on last week.

anyone know the increase in cases in London during the first ten days of December?  That would give us a point of reference. We know for sure that increased cases will lead to increased hospitalisations but the crucial point is how the ratio drops under omicron. that’s the number which will dictate govt policy on further restrictions and also make the general population a little less worried once Xmas is done. 

No, although found the following interesting. There seems to be a decent ratio of incidental COVID cases in London hospitals at the moment

By the time any lockdown is considered after Christmas, there should be enough data from London about hospitalisations to determine whether more restrictions are necessary. 

Edited by martyn

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

A few weeks ago I thought they’d let us have NYE but I’m less sure with each day that passes …..

Very weird times every time you see someone say something like this. “If they let us have NYE”

not an attack on you in any way btw just a turn of phrase that freaks me out to see as normal for some people now lol 

2 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Very weird times every time you see someone say something like this. “If they let us have NYE”

not an attack on you in any way btw just a turn of phrase that freaks me out to see as normal for some people now lol 

Like you say - it’s not normal times …… be thankful you live in a country which is less draconian than most European states. if they had our levels of infections then they would be cancelling Xmas too !

• Like 1

Great, any further restrictions and there’s absolutely no chance that I’ll be getting the booster jab. I got vaccinated merely for societal gain, I am a healthy young person who had built up natural immunity. I came forward for the jab as I believed that it was the right thing to do to protect more vulnerable members.

However, if there is any circuit lockdown then I will not be getting vaccinated nor will I be following the rules. It’s beyond farcical at this point - one person has died from the Omiricon variant. I think that it’s about time we started forgetting about this glorified cold and think about missed cancer screenings, coronary heart disease and other killers with a much higher mortality rate. 

There is absolutely no way I will be kept under lock and key for this. Laughable.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So, the govenment are going to force a lockdown, where's the chancellor now that businesses and workers are going to need support, it's all very well locking down but i suspect there's going to be millions of people without any work over the next few months, where's Johnson with words of reasurement for those people. They can't be just left hung out to dry. 10000 pubs have gone bust in the last year.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You have to make some assumptions - and your data leads you to many different potential outcomes. Unfortunately, the media seem to want to only publicise the worst case - that’s not the fault of science 

can any of our non U.K. contributors advise how the boosters are being administered?

you would have thought that a more sophisticated booking system could have been used whereby those who haven’t had a covid infection over the past nine months were prioritised (within age groups).  I’m aware of some double jabbed who have had infection in early November being boosted already whilst those who have had two jabs six months ago struggle to get an appointment.  Seems a bit crude to me. 

Where I am we've boosted the over seventies and the people who had the one dose vaccine, and so we are currently doing the over sixties, as well as vaccinating the over 9's. Although we have private health insurance here, the vaccine is being covered by central government, so everyone can get it free. 

People can make appointments for the booster but only if they are the age currently being jabbed, but there are also times for walk ups, so similar to the UK I think? No allowing for previous infection either from what I understand.

The Spanish seem to be more methodical in the way they are vaccinating, but from what I can see the take up seems to be higher here, I think we have nearly 80% of the population fully vaccinated, compared to just under 70% in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Where I am we've boosted the over seventies and the people who had the one dose vaccine, and so we are currently doing the over sixties, as well as vaccinating the over 9's. Although we have private health insurance here, the vaccine is being covered by central government, so everyone can get it free. 

People can make appointments for the booster but only if they are the age currently being jabbed, but there are also times for walk ups, so similar to the UK I think? No allowing for previous infection either from what I understand.

The Spanish seem to be more methodical in the way they are vaccinating, but from what I can see the take up seems to be higher here, I think we have nearly 80% of the population fully vaccinated, compared to just under 70% in the UK. 

so, 10 million less then.

35 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Great, any further restrictions and there’s absolutely no chance that I’ll be getting the booster jab. I got vaccinated merely for societal gain, I am a healthy young person who had built up natural immunity. I came forward for the jab as I believed that it was the right thing to do to protect more vulnerable members.

However, if there is any circuit lockdown then I will not be getting vaccinated nor will I be following the rules. It’s beyond farcical at this point - one person has died from the Omiricon variant. I think that it’s about time we started forgetting about this glorified cold and think about missed cancer screenings, coronary heart disease and other killers with a much higher mortality rate. 

There is absolutely no way I will be kept under lock and key for this. Laughable.

Fair enough, your decision...

But you, and people who decide the same should be charged for any NHS treatment you just might need!...

Might make you think again?

Why should you or those others be treated free of charge on the NHS?

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Will you be still saying that in 5 years time.

I would hope not. But there is a lot of unrealistic expectation about what can be achieved in just a year. We can build things but we can't staff them. Brexit hasn't helped here either. But yes, if in 5 years time, there is no improvement then serious questions must be asked. But, we should have some idea in the next 2-3 years in regards to number of people being recruited. The question is how many will leave the NHS because of what is happening and the relative poor pay received by a great number of health professionals.

46 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Ok piers …..

31 minutes ago, bovril said:

Government would rather lock down forever than increase capacity of 'our precious NHS'

I am sure I read that the government wouldn't remove fines this year for universities who over recruit on their medical courses (the courses are heavily subsidised by the government). Says it all really. 

4 minutes ago, reynard said:

I would hope not. But there is a lot of unrealistic expectation about what can be achieved in just a year. We can build things but we can't staff them. Brexit hasn't helped here either. But yes, if in 5 years time, there is no improvement then serious questions must be asked. But, we should have some idea in the next 2-3 years in regards to number of people being recruited. The question is how many will leave the NHS because of what is happening and the relative poor pay received by a great number of health professionals.

In 5 years it will be too late, the nhs can't sustain this for that amount of time, Z-Layrex has said 200 out of 400 icu staff in his trust have quit in the last year which i suspect is an exponential decrease as one person leaves followed by 3 followed by 6 as staff become dispondant etc. ! Is there a government drive going on right now to recruit nhs staff? , 30p extra an hour is going to draw them in ain't it....not.  So we're going to end up with hospitals so poorly staffed that it become impossible to actually operate, which is why i was saying about tripling nurses wages right now, we're gonna need experienced people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

I'd put money on absolute no parties, closed restaurants and pubs on New year's Eve.

Looking a reasonable bet. I think it would be Pre-Christmas if wasn't for the political situation Boris is now in with the rebellion of his own party and the disastrous by-election result plus his own assurances Christmas would be markedly better this year.