Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

What? 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/easy_read

"90,418 new people had a confirmed positive test result reported on 18 December 2021.

Between 12 December 2021 and 18 December 2021, 513,574 people had a confirmed positive test result. This shows an increase of 44.4% compared to the previous 7 days."

London is declaring a 'major incident:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59711474

That article is actually very reassuring on the whole. The analysis bit at the bottom basically telling us not to worry too much - yet.

7 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

93k yesterday 

It's currently 16.45pm. Check again for a comparison tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It does in this instance.

No it doesn't - because it's 'raw data' 

8 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

That article is actually very reassuring on the whole. The analysis bit at the bottom basically telling us not to worry too much - yet.

Completely - and very valid points that we equally need to monitor. 

My concern from this is the amount of staff absences coinciding and the effect on public services - but yes, I do agree with you that there are encouraging signs that should not be obscured or obfuscated. 

35 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

So looking at the case numbers today, there is no evidence yet of exponential growth, they’ve fallen on yesterday’s.  

No one compares it day to day because it drops dependent on the day of week and how the labs process. 

Compare it to the previous Saturday 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No one compares it day to day because it drops dependent on the day of week and how the labs process. 

Compare it to the previous Saturday 

If you have an agenda you just do what’s expedient with your stats ….I’m sure FF understands but that wouldn’t suit his narrative 

quite honestly, how anyone can put a post on here saying that there’s no evidence of exponential growth when we are looking at case numbers double what they were for the same day the previous week is either plain ignorant  or trolling ….

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

So looking at the case numbers today, there is no evidence yet of exponential growth, they’ve fallen on yesterday’s.  

Except all the evidence of it being exponential, yeah.  

Look at the last 30 days and look what happens on Saturdays and Sundays, they go down, then go back up again in the week.

• Like 2

Indoor mixing is the “biggest risk factor” for the spread of the Omicron variant, UK experts have warned, as documents revealed advisers cautioned that large gatherings risked creating “multiple spreading events”.
Documents released by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Saturday revealed the advice it had given to ministers. And at a meeting on Thursday the experts said that stricter measures may be needed for Omicron, because of its transmissibility.

Minutes from the meeting said this could include “reducing group sizes, increasing physical distancing, reducing duration of contacts and closing high-risk premises”.
They said that lateral flow tests should also be used on a group basis – so if one person in a group tests positive before going to an event, their whole group should also not attend, even if they did not test positive. The experts warned that “hospitalisations in the UK will reach high levels in about two weeks even if transmission is reduced soon” and predicted between 1,000 and 2,000 hospital admissions per day in England by the end of the year, PA reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/dec/18/covid-live-experts-call-for-stricter-restrictions-in-england-very-soon-omicron-spreading-fast-in-france

Edited by Buce

53 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

There is plenty of evidence as others have pointed out,  but its clear you dont do science like I dont do spelling 😉

• Haha 1

Partner had a Christmas meet up with her friends last weekend, they've all now started testing positive because one of them decided to go despite showing all the symptoms of covid. How f***** stupid are some people?

Thankfully we all had covid a month back so we should be alright, whilst they are all in isolation for Christmas. 

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

Indoor mixing is the “biggest risk factor” for the spread of the Omicron variant, UK experts have warned, as documents revealed advisers cautioned that large gatherings risked creating “multiple spreading events”.
Documents released by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Saturday revealed the advice it had given to ministers. And at a meeting on Thursday the experts said that stricter measures may be needed for Omicron, because of its transmissibility.

Minutes from the meeting said this could include “reducing group sizes, increasing physical distancing, reducing duration of contacts and closing high-risk premises”.
They said that lateral flow tests should also be used on a group basis – so if one person in a group tests positive before going to an event, their whole group should also not attend, even if they did not test positive. The experts warned that “hospitalisations in the UK will reach high levels in about two weeks even if transmission is reduced soon” and predicted between 1,000 and 2,000 hospital admissions per day in England by the end of the year, PA reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/dec/18/covid-live-experts-call-for-stricter-restrictions-in-england-very-soon-omicron-spreading-fast-in-france

What do we think this will mean for football matches? Stadiums are classed as outside, aren't they? But obviously all the people travelling would be indoor mixing on trains, buses, coaches.

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Whitty succinctly addressed the point about treating other illnesses in the context of a COVID wave during the week. It astounds me people still don't get it

In an ideal, sane world of rational thought, this would be the end of the discussion, but no doubt we’ll still go round and round the same circles ad infinitum. 

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

What do we think this will mean for football matches? Stadiums are classed as outside, aren't they? But obviously all the people travelling would be indoor mixing on trains, buses, coaches.

I suspect that whatever games get played this weekend will be the last for a while, so it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martyn said:

I agree, I just wonder whether in the context of London specifically whether it's even worthwhile as unless immediate action is taken, it probably won't be too long until a peak is being approached and the outcomes are all baked in anyway.

Maybe pressure from Khan allows Boris a political out for pre Christmas restrictions, but I just can't see it, unless hospital data is an absolute horror show over the next few days.

London mayor declares ‘major incident’ to help Covid-hit hospitals | Coronavirus | The Guardian

More of this around the country and I think they will need to act.

6 minutes ago, reynard said:

London mayor declares ‘major incident’ to help Covid-hit hospitals | Coronavirus | The Guardian

Seven members of my family have tested positive in the last week. Four of them in London. Actually, eight - my daughter in the last hour. 

12 minutes ago, ousefox said:

It amazes me, honestly amazes me how ignorant/thick/selfish people are.

'Oh it's just a cold' seems to be the default for anybody who starts having symptoms. We're two years into a pandemic and people seem to have learned nothing.

Read some of the posts over the last fortnight of this thread. Utterly staggering. 

54 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A friend of ours has tested positive via both lateral flow and PCR. They only had COVID in July/August, didn't realise this was even possible

Yeah, some people have had it 3 or 4 times.

I'm pretty sure John Rahm, the golfer, had it twice within a matter of just a few weeks.

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Fair enough, your decision...

But you, and people who decide the same should be charged for any NHS treatment you just might need!...

Might make you think again?

Why should you or those others be treated free of charge on the NHS?

I’m pro vaccine but that’s such a lazy argument. Paralytic drunks and obese people also should be charged and refused treatment, they’ve drained the nhs far longer. There is no excuse in this country not to eat and exercise well. 

Edited by grobyfox1990

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Seven members of my family have tested positive in the last week. Four of them in London. Actually, eight - my daughter in the last hour. 

Looks like it's that tin of baked beans for Christmas day then?

Seriously hope they are all ok.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, reynard said:

Partygate has made that virtually a political impossiblity.

Locking down in the new year will cost many lives that needn't have been lost, and that will be blood on Bozo's hands.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

Partygate has made that a virtually a political impossiblity.

Locking down in the new year will cost many lives that needn't have been lost, and that will be blood on Bozo's hands.

And what about all the lives that will be lost as a result of locking people down...again.

Not saying we shouldn't lock down btw but it's a double edge sword.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I imagine he already pays for the NHS. It's definately not free. 

Not surprisingly, business in the private health care sector in the UK is booming, as NHS waiting lists for non-urgent treatments become longer and longer. Chucking money at minor health issues is a great way to get them fixed PDQ.

40 minutes ago, ousefox said:

It amazes me, honestly amazes me how ignorant/thick/selfish people are.

Ah… you should never be surprised by this.

You should always keep in mind just how stupid the average person actually is.

And then remember that half of the people in the world are more stupid than that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Ah… you should never be surprised by this.

You should always keep in mind just how stupid the average person actually is.

And then remember that half of the people in the world are more stupid than that.

Lol, does that include yourself?!? Or is this like driving paradox. Everyone in the world is a shit driver apart from you. For me it’s actually true, I’m a great driver