Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I know it's not, but percentages don't tell the actual story, raw data does.

If you have 10 Spaniards in a room, 8 of them have been vaccinated. Out of 10 UK citizens in a room,  7 of them have been vaccinated. How does that make the vaccine take up higher overall in the UK? It's a genuine question because I don't understand. Obviously the UK population is greater, but that doesn't mean that the actual take up is higher? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

To be honest, and without wishing to sound overly critical, I’m not sure you’ve quite grasped how what I said works…

(and obvs I’m waaaay above the average 😉)

Yeh….so the average person is stupid, hence 49.99% are stupider than that assuming a mean of bang on 50%. I’m asking you which 50% you count yourself in!!! 

54 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

And what about all the lives that will be lost as a result of locking people down...again.

Not saying we shouldn't lock down btw but it's a double edge sword.

Yep, there are no perfect answers.

But my point is, if lockdown is deemed necessary but is being delayed because Bozo has lost the moral authority to implement it now, doing so after Xmas is very much shutting the stable door after the nag has done one, and the blame for lives lost should be placed very firmly at his door.

Edited by Buce

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh….so the average person is stupid, hence 49.99% are stupider than that assuming a mean of bang on 50%. I’m asking you which 50% you count yourself in!!! 

Well there’s a question.

Once upon a time I would have said I was probably average at best.

But having read a lot of the posts on this thread…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Livid said:

Bugger!! 

Just tested positive on a PCR. 

Had a couple of cases at work earlier in the week, and got pinged on the app so went for a PCR on Thursday just to be sure. Result was inconclusive, went back yesterday for another one. Just come through as positive. 

Absolutely no symptoms at all and I’ve been taking lateral flows all week, including two today, which have all been negative. 

I’m going with it but I don’t know what to think!! :unsure:

All good if you have no symptoms, stay well mate and you will be on the Guinness at Coalville in no time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I doubt it  - that’s why the govt won’t do anything until after Xmas 

And why would they need a lockdown after Christmas?

If by the new year everyone will have been offered the booster (which is the plan) then surely everyone is protected who wants to be protected. Or don't they trust the vaccine or doesn't the vaccine work.:dunno:

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Should those not vaccinated be turned away at the hospital?

But then they'd say it's 'breaching their human rights' etc.

The NHS appears to be a 'free for all' service for anyone, but this definitely needs to change with regards to how the NHS has been managed and how many unvaccinated patients have been taken in.

Edited by Wymsey

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

If by the new year everyone will have been offered the booster (which is the plan) then surely everyone is protected who wants to be protected. Or don't they trust the vaccine or doesn't the vaccine work.:dunno:

It could be political if the daily numbers are enormous - they will have missed the boat on a ‘useful’ lock down and will just do anything to try and rescue their position on getting blamed if it all goes TU in Jan re the NHS and possibly deaths ….

and we won’t have boosted everyone by new year …..

20 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you have 10 Spaniards in a room, 8 of them have been vaccinated. Out of 10 UK citizens in a room,  7 of them have been vaccinated. How does that make the vaccine take up higher overall in the UK? It's a genuine question because I don't understand. Obviously the UK population is greater, but that doesn't mean that the actual take up is higher? 

Because you haven’t got 10 Spaniards and 10 UK’s. You’ve got 10 Spaniards and 14 UK’s. 8 of the Spaniards have been vaccinated but 11 of the UK’s have been vaccinated, so in the room, more of the UK’s have been vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It could be political if the daily numbers are enormous - they will have missed the boat on a ‘useful’ lock down and will just do anything to try and rescue their position on getting blamed if it all goes TU in Jan re the NHS and possibly deaths ….

and we won’t have boosted everyone by new year …..

Lots of what's going on is political, you only have to look at Scotland and Wales trying to out do each other.

If it goes TU in Jan regarding deaths the the vaccine doesn't work. Not that i think it will as this strain so far looks far less dangerous. 

14 minutes ago, Otis said:

Because this variant is so much more infectious than previous ones that it has a good chance of finding many of those who have chosen not to bother protecting themselves and are more likely to end up in hospital. As you well know a vaccine is not 100% effective and right now we don't know how it will hold up against this new variant.

Also there could well be so many people off sick, even if not in hospital, that the country isn't able to basically function. Let's say 5 million people are infected and just 1% end up in hospital that's 50k in hospital. We probably need to do something to try and prevent such outcomes?

We know the vaccines have worked and saved many lives. Just imagine where we would be without them of if the percentage of the population vaccinated was reversed.

17 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Should those not vaccinated be turned away at the hospital?

No, that goes against the ethics of the nhs and everything else. The idea is to preserve life whatever the circumstances. Darwinism and survival of the fittest goes completely against humanity, if that were the case I’d be banging on your door with a shotgun and taking your house of you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

No, that goes against the ethics of the nhs and everything else. The idea is to preserve life whatever the circumstances. Darwinism and survival of the fittest goes completely against humanity, if that were the case I’d be banging on your door with a shotgun and taking your house of you.

Pardon?!!