Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

And why would they need a lockdown after Christmas?

If by the new year everyone will have been offered the booster (which is the plan) then surely everyone is protected who wants to be protected. Or don't they trust the vaccine or doesn't the vaccine work.:dunno:

Why must we go over this again? It's twenty months in and you're still struggling with this? Seriously?

Once again, no vaccine is 100% effective. Moreover, the current vaccinations were developed around the alpha variant but proved to be extremely effective against Delta. Omicron is very different due to significant changes in the spike protein and double the mutations. This means that even those that are double jabbed and receive the booster are not entirely protected. High uptake will however lessen the symptoms and if as early indications suggest these are milder will reduce levels of hospitalisation and the duration of stay. However, please try to understand that the rate of transmissibility associated with omicron is astronomical. There will be those in society that are still vulnerable and will become serious cases - a small proportion of a huge number is still a large sum. The concern is, that if this insane  level of spread is allowed to continue unchecked that our health service - that is our hospitals wards, our trusts, our GPs, which are already approaching the tipping point will be unable to function which has a huge knock-on effect upon the treatment of other life threatening diseases, conditions and emergencies. Added to which, this prolonged unabated pressure upon our NHS staff is unsustainable not to mention the steadily increasing absence of those manning our public services due to sickness/isolation. Why do I find myself along with others typing this on almost daily basis?

No one wants lockdown. And irrespective of any further restrictions, multiple members of my family have now tested positive in the last part of this week. Aside from the worry, that's my Christmas plans completely up the shitter. What and who am I blaming? - a continually evolving global viral infection and the shameful actions of Big Pharma in respect to the equitable distribution of their vaccinations. As much as we should applaud and respect the work of many fine minds to develop these vaccines, the hoarding/monopolisation, the price fixing and the refusal to relinquish the intellectual property rights will mean that this global crisis will continue to impact us for years to come. 

• Like 3

I hope I'm wrong but I've a sneaky feeling this booster won't be sufficient against stopping omicron spreading like wildfire. It's going to need tweaking, I'm hearing so many stories of people having had the booster a few weeks ago and still getting covid, which I assume is omicron because if its delta and the booster isn't preventing the spread then that's very alarming.

1 hour ago, Livid said:

Bugger!! 

Just tested positive on a PCR. 

Had a couple of cases at work earlier in the week, and got pinged on the app so went for a PCR on Thursday just to be sure. Result was inconclusive, went back yesterday for another one. Just come through as positive. 

Absolutely no symptoms at all and I’ve been taking lateral flows all week, including two today, which have all been negative. 

I’m going with it but I don’t know what to think!! :unsure:

I think… you’ve got the lurgy.

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

No one wants lockdown

I reckon there's a few weirdos that absolutely love it.

And whilst I understand your essay above. I just don't think a lockdown will sit very well with much of the population when they have done everything that has been asked with regards to taking vaccine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope I'm wrong but I've a sneaky feeling this booster won't be sufficient against stopping omicron spreading like wildfire. It's going to need tweaking, I'm hearing so many stories of people having had the booster a few weeks ago and still getting covid, which I assume is omicron because if its delta and the booster isn't preventing the spread then that's very alarming.

The vaccine won't stop the spread of either variant. The vaccine will supposedly reduce the symptoms. 

11 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Why must we go over this again? It's twenty months in and you're still struggling with this? Seriously?

Once again, no vaccine is 100% effective. Moreover, the current vaccinations were developed around the alpha variant but proved to be extremely effective against Delta. Omicron is very different due to significant changes in the spike protein and double the mutations. This means that even those that are double jabbed and receive the booster are not entirely protected. High uptake will however lessen the symptoms and if as early indications suggest these are milder will reduce levels of hospitalisation and the duration of stay. However, please try to understand that the rate of transmissibility associated with omicron is astronomical. There will be those in society that are still vulnerable and will become serious cases - a small proportion of a huge number is still a large sum. The concern is, that if this insane  level of spread is allowed to continue unchecked that our health service - that is our hospitals wards, our trusts, our GPs, which are already approaching the tipping point will be unable to function which has a huge knock-on effect upon the treatment of other life threatening diseases, conditions and emergencies. Added to which, this prolonged unabated pressure upon our NHS staff is unsustainable not to mention the steadily increasing absence of those manning our public services due to sickness/isolation. Why do I find myself along with others typing this on almost daily basis?

No one wants lockdown. And irrespective of any further restrictions, multiple members of my family have now tested positive in the last part of this week. Aside from the worry, that's my Christmas plans completely up the shitter. What and who am I blaming? - a continually evolving global viral infection and the shameful actions of Big Pharma in respect to the equitable distribution of their vaccinations. As much as we should applaud and respect the work of many fine minds to develop these vaccines, the hoarding/monopolisation, the price fixing and the refusal to relinquish the intellectual property rights will mean that this global crisis will continue to impact us for years to come. 

The rabies vaccine is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Takes a while to be fair although I got covid a month after my second jab

so people can still get it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otis said:

The vaccine won't stop the spread of either variant. The vaccine will supposedly reduce the symptoms. 

We have consistently been told the vaccine drastically reduces the spread with delta and that the booster reduces the spread by 80% with Omicron but I find them both dubious and certainly the latter. No denying the vaccine is very good at cutting serious illness and death but if it still spread rapidly regardless of vaccination status then inevitably a % of the elderly and vulnerable will come a cropper. 

This was posted on my linkedin thread. I've not see so much common sense encapsulated in a single post about vaccination since this pandemic began and i'm sure the vast majority of Foexstalkers will agree; and if it changes just one person's mind........

Matthew Wyles• 2ndChief Executive Officer at Hampshire Trust Bank

I'm fully vaccinated w/booster and, no, I don't know what's in it. Neither this vaccine nor those I had as a child. Nor do I know the 11 secret herbs and spices at KFC.

I also don't know exactly what's in Ibuprofen or any other painkiller - they just treat my headaches & my pains. I don't know what's in my soap, shampoo or deodorants. I don’t know the long term effect of mobile phone use, or whether or not the staff at that restaurant wash their hands.

There's so much I don't know and take on trust.

I do know one thing: life is short. Very short. And I, personally, still want to do things. I want to travel and hug people without fear.

Throughout my life I've been vaccinated against many diseases: measles, mumps, rubella, polio, chickenpox, hepatitis, influenza, tetanus. I (and my parents) trusted the science, and I never had to suffer or transmit any of those diseases.

I'm vaccinated. Not because I’m a sheep or to please HM Government….nor to make other people do it.

But I don't want to:
die from Covid-19
clutter a hospital bed if I get ill
not be able to hug my loved ones 
not be able to travel & enjoy events
live my life in fear.

I can't say it with any greater clarity. I'm vaccinated for me and I wear a mask for you.  

Happy Christmas

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Only if the fatties, drunks and all others with preventable diseases are turned away as well. Wasting my taxpayer money the lot of them 

The fatties and drunks pay taxes too, arguably more than you as the unhealthy food they eat and the alcohol they drink are heavily taxed.

33 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Because you haven’t got 10 Spaniards and 10 UK’s. You’ve got 10 Spaniards and 14 UK’s. 8 of the Spaniards have been vaccinated but 11 of the UK’s have been vaccinated, so in the room, more of the UK’s have been vaccinated.

So by those maths, 80% of the Spaniards have been vaccinated, and 78% of the UK have, so it's still a lower take up? 

1 minute ago, Otis said:

I reckon there's a few weirdos that absolutely love it.

This keeps being suggested by the same few, but I have never encountered this and I'll wager that you have no evidence for it either.

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

And whilst I understand your essay above. 

I'm pleased to hear it. That means I won't need to type it again - to you at least. 

3 minutes ago, Otis said:

I just don't think a lockdown will sit very well with much of the population when they have done everything that has been asked with regards to taking vaccine.

Of course it won't - particularly given the appalling recent revelations concerning the contemptible attitude of our own government. last year Regarding the vaccine - I genuinely don't understand the objection. I was reflecting on Thursday how fortunate I am that that instead of waiting for my booked appointment, I could saunter a few hundred yards down the road and within 30 minutes at a walk in healthcare centre have received the booster whilst so many on the planet haven't even had a first jab. Why do people even need to be asked or implored to take the vaccine given the events of the last 20 months?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

We have consistently been told the vaccine drastically reduces the spread with delta and that the booster reduces the spread by 80% with Omicron but I find them both dubious and certainly the latter. No denying the vaccine is very good at cutting serious illness and death but if it still spread rapidly regardless of vaccination status then inevitably a % of the elderly and vulnerable will come a cropper. 

I personally think the the vaccines effect on the transmission is marginal at best.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Wong again. It reduces the speed and replication amongst the vaccinated and thus the rate of mutation. We've been through this before too. Why do you insist on repeatedly making these absolute statements about things you clearly know nothing about? Genuinely baffling. 

"Lockdown doesn't work". "Covid-19 was over months ago".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Otis said:

You really ought to read x-line's essays,  there is at least a chance then that you might understand,  though I doubt you want to.

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

I personally think t

What you "personally think" has no bearing upon the real world. Have you still not grasped that? Otis, you belong to a small club on here who seem to value and celebrate their own personal incredulity and are utterly unable to comprehend, whilst it is glaringly obvious to the rest of us, that it has no relation whatsoever to reality. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Why do people even need to be asked or implored to take the vaccine given the events of the last 20 months?

No idea, I find it just as odd. But if the government are going to go for another lockdown year after year I can see why people will become disillusioned. 

I feel there is an over reliance on logic and 'facts'. It's a trend fueled by the mass of information out there and is causing a type if facsim...If someone doesn't persue information and doesn't get vaccinated they are sub-human..who made that rule?

Have we abandoned things like  Intuition and  emotions? Remember phrases like 'the show must go on ' and 'ignorance is bliss' and 'that's life' or 'sods law '...phrases handed down by generation to help us understand the chaos...rather than struggle to control it whilst castigating those who have a laizez-faire approach 

• Like 1