Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

I know 3 people who having had the Pfizer booster have developed swelling in their armpits, presumably lymph glands. 2 women 1 man. 2 have actually seen or spoke to their gp, who’ve basically told them there’s nothing to worry about. Anyone else had symptoms like these?

Yup. One of mine in my collarbone went haywire after the second jab. Went down within 2 weeks no problem. 

3 minutes ago, Munshi said:

8pm Curfew being talked about now too? wtf will that achieve? bunch of bullshit that I’m hoping most people with common sense will be ignoring.

How on earth can they call a curphew a ‘light touch’ restriction too? 

The thing I'm mightily impressed with?

You managed to spell curfew correctly and then incorrectly. Weirdly, I prefer the incorrect version. :D 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Munshi said:

8pm Curfew being talked about now too? wtf will that achieve? bunch of bullshit that I’m hoping most people with common sense will be ignoring.

How on earth can they call a curphew a ‘light touch’ restriction too? 

I thought they agreed the curfew last time didn't stop anything. All it does is encourage people mixing at other peoples houses. Nonsense. 

Looks more likely that pubs will be shut unless you want a pint in the beer garden. 

Edited by adam

Latest London hospitalisation stats don't look too bad at first glance.

Admissions up by about 35% over the previous week, but would have potentially expected more given cases likely increased 200-300%. And we're getting to the point where enough time is starting to pass now to start accounting for the lag from when Omicron started to gain a foothold.

Think there'll be enough data kicking around by Christmas to decide whether restrictions are absolutely necessary, with London as the Guinea Pig.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

For context, just under 5000 were on ventilation during the peak last January.

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

It's not at any marked low, it's +4 on last week, but it is pretty flatline and demonstrates no increase due to the new strain

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

From what I've read London admissions have increased a not-insignificant amount, though perhaps not as sharply as was initially feared. 

So after a 2 hour meeting he has released a statement clearing nothing up. Nice work.

It looks pretty clear that step 2 restrictions will be coming in on the 27th with the amount of discussion from journalists about it on twitter. Why leave it to the last minute? 

Edited by adam
  • Like 2

And this is EXACTLY what I was frustrated about this morning. Christmas is a very stressful time for me and I fully understand if they feel, based on numbers, the need to lockdown again or to limit things. I don't agree but understand.

If all they're saying after two hours of meetings is they "rule nothing out" then the least we can be told is what are some of the factors that may influence a decision. 

Jesus wept, this is incompetence on a cataclysmic scale. As a tax paying voter, here are some simple questions I have -

- what are some measures they have considered?

- what kind of case numbers/ hospitalisations/ any form of data will they use to make a decision?

- do they have a timescale for anything they may do?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I absolutely understand your frustration and outrage - I feel the same, but that doesn't justify us doing it ourselves. I disagree, but f you don't feel compelled to abide by the restrictions, then it should be for reasons that you yourself have identified and determined and based upon your moral judgement - not in response to the folly of a bunch of tory ****wits in Westminster.  Your post is testament to the irreversible damage that they have done and no doubt your sentiment is echoed by many across the country 

I’ve identified the reason why friend 

58 minutes ago, Bert said:

Sorry, but I’ll not be complying this time. Complied with everything over the past two years, triple jabbed, wear a mask where I’m “expected to” and for me the straw that broke the camels back was the people that ordered us to do all of these things, weren’t doing so themselves. Missed out on many special things and I’m just not prepared to do so again. 

Totally agree. I arrived at that point way back in June 2020 when Leicester was locked down  entirely as the govt made a political, not public health, decision to ignore that the  cluster of cases was condensed to very defined area of the northfields and North Evington ward  (nope, I not having a backhanded pop at the asian community before anyone panics).

From that point onwards, I was out

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, adam said:

So after a 2 hour meeting he has released a statement clearing nothing up. Nice work.

It looks pretty clear that step 2 restrictions will be coming in on the 27th with the amount of discussion from journalists about it on twitter. Why leave it to the last minute? 

You can feel the pain being suffered by the BBC, poor ole Clive Myrie struggling to contain his disappointment at not being able to announce a lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Personally the whole situation with South Africa and the dismissal of its' doctors/data has stuck me has snobbery and bordering racism. The red list banning was again stupid in principle and has largely done nothing but of course, financially it's made some very rich. (It's not really been picking up the media the selective nature in which the quarantine hotels have been chosen). 

The UK and Europe were also largely dismissive of the data from Israel as well who were ahead of everyone on vaccination. 

Is that the Israel which is basically closing its borders and banning travel to many countries, seeing 1000 infections a day for the first time in a couple of months and seeing morbidity levels increasing too. Oh and for the vaccine sceptics if you want to follow their data 75% of seriously ill patients are completely unvaccinated.

Over 1,000 new cases of coronavirus, infection coefficient rises | News 7 (israelnationalnews.com)

Israel Adds US, Canada To Covid Travel Ban List Over Omicron | Kaiser Health News (khn.org)

I'm sure a great many people are glad we're not necessarily looking a their data or following their methods of controlling the outbreak because of it as we would have far tighter restrictions here than merely being a bit inconvenienced by having to wear a mask here and there.

I don't think we are ignoring other countries and their data but the only data that really matters is what is happening in this country. We'll know a lot more about Omicron in the next 2 weeks we just all need to be a bit patient to discover how it will spread and how it will disrupt the country.