Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Pretty sure I've got it, father in law and mother in law both tested positive and we had a Christmas day do thing at theirs the other day, I feel rough as old boots, so lethargic and ache all over. Pcr test should be here tomorrow,ive done about 6 lft all negative think they're not worth the plastic they're made out of. Mil and fil also done half a dozen lft in the last week every single one negative. What is the point of them? 

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Pretty sure I've got it, father in law and mother in law both tested positive and we had a Christmas day do thing at theirs the other day, I feel rough as old boots, so lethargic and ache all over. Pcr test should be here tomorrow,ive done about 6 lft all negative think they're not worth the plastic they're made out of. Mil and fil also done half a dozen lft in the last week every single one negative. What is the point of them? 

For China to laugh at us having spent a ridiculous sum of money on something that govt and the like claim "is free".

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Given as I'm double jabbed if my pcr is positive I won't need the booster? 

We know that having COVID-19 can elicit an increase in antibodies that protect you from re-infection with the virus, so your recent infection will provide some level of natural immunity which can act like a booster. However, it's not understood how long this might last, so if you want to ensure that your immunity remains high, eventually you will still need an actual booster shot. There is some data that came out last summer suggesting that COVID-19 infection followed by vaccination may provide extremely strong immunity, but there simply isn't enough evidence to support this. 

You'll need to wait for for 28 days to ensure that there is no overlap in symptoms/side effects.

I hope you feel better soon and that you still manage to have an enjoyable Christmas. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I only tested positive on a LFT, 24 hours after my PCR. 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Personally the whole situation with South Africa and the dismissal of its' doctors/data has stuck me has snobbery and bordering racism. The red list banning was again stupid in principle and has largely done nothing but of course, financially it's made some very rich. (It's not really been picking up the media the selective nature in which the quarantine hotels have been chosen). 

The UK and Europe were also largely dismissive of the data from Israel as well who were ahead of everyone on vaccination. 

I also think that people's changes in behaviour is underestimated too. Look at the amount of cancellations in recent weeks, people listen to comments like prioritise. More people wearing masks that I've seen since they were re-introduced. I think this will help to drive infections down.

despite previous crowing on this thread from me that I'd never caught it nor given it anyone, following a 'head cold' developing on Friday and daily lfts since then, only today have I shown up positive. 

point is, LFTs are clearly only a guide and not definitive 

15 minutes ago, Sly said:

I only tested positive on a LFT, 24 hours after my PCR. 

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

I also think that people's changes in behaviour is underestimated too. Look at the amount of cancellations in recent weeks, people listen to comments like prioritise. More people wearing masks that I've seen since they were re-introduced. I think this will help to drive infections down.

Partly agree tho I suspect people have tempered their behaviour only.to preserve their Christmas (a not unreasonable mindset,.since I've ruined mine courtesy of a.laisssz faire attitude!)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

I do agree with you - although in part this is likely due to not wishing to jeopardise the Christmas holiday as opposed to concern for out health services. There does seem to be a high level of public compliance and responsibility in respect of booster uptake and the most basic precautions. (Not that you'd know judging by some of the posts on this thread). Like you say, this is encouraging because unlike the Netherlands, during our "wait and see" policy - (as much a consequence of not wanting to piss the voting public off or through fear of a large scale back bench rebellion) - the more the public adhere to preventative measures, the less likely the need for further or stronger measures. 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Partly agree tho I suspect people have tempered their behaviour only.to preserve their Christmas (a not unreasonable mindset,.since I've ruined mine courtesy of a.laisssz faire attitude!)

Yeah, can see that, although hopefully people are still sensible when meeting family.

Booster dose booked for tomorrow evening, glad to be able to get it done and out of the way soon into this.

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

despite previous crowing on this thread from me that I'd never caught it nor given it anyone, following a 'head cold' developing on Friday and daily lfts since then, only today have I shown up positive. 

First of all, I'm sorry you've become infected - I hope you suffer as little as possible.

Does this alter your position at all, given what's happened to you?

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

First of all, I'm sorry you've become infected - I hope you suffer as little as possible.

Does this alter your position at all, given what's happened to you?

Thanks. But no, not at all. 

I'm  happy to live with risk and knew i was taking personal risk. 

However, I am genuinely disappointed and worried that indirectly I will have contributed to hurting someone further down the line. Nobody normal would want that. Hopefully omnicrom is as mild fornothers as it is for me (runny nose, achy joints and a dull headache)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm really sorry to hear that - what a shit timing, but this is so ridiculously contagious it seems almost inevitable. As you know, seven of my family came down with it last week - three are teachers, one works in clinical healthcare, it then spread to their partners/families. Four of them are in London, two in Birmingham, one in Leicester. My daughter registered with track and trace yesterday and she's been bombarded with phone calls since. 

Ensure that you test again and sort a PCR test?

LFTs are very accurate and dependable in terms of positive results. The issue is, the amount of false negatives. Given our reliance and faith in these as a 'green light' in terms of mixing, the inaccuracies have always concerned me. But as @HighPeakFox says, it's all we have and we do need to test. 

Edited by Line-X

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Is that the Israel which is basically closing its borders and banning travel to many countries, seeing 1000 infections a day for the first time in a couple of months and seeing morbidity levels increasing too. Oh and for the vaccine sceptics if you want to follow their data 75% of seriously ill patients are completely unvaccinated.

Over 1,000 new cases of coronavirus, infection coefficient rises | News 7 (israelnationalnews.com)

Israel Adds US, Canada To Covid Travel Ban List Over Omicron | Kaiser Health News (khn.org)

I'm sure a great many people are glad we're not necessarily looking a their data or following their methods of controlling the outbreak because of it as we would have far tighter restrictions here than merely being a bit inconvenienced by having to wear a mask here and there.

I don't think we are ignoring other countries and their data but the only data that really matters is what is happening in this country. We'll know a lot more about Omicron in the next 2 weeks we just all need to be a bit patient to discover how it will spread and how it will disrupt the country.

My two posts on the matter have nothing to do with the vaccination debate and I don’t know why you’ve come to that conclusion. Neither does it have anything to do with Israel’s actions.

They had data before us saying that boosters were key and immunity to wanes. The UK govt idled into the booster programme and it took Omicron to push it on. That push particularly for a certain age group/vulnerable groups should have been a bit quicker achieved than we did. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

39 minutes ago, Corky said:

The Christmas period will on the whole I believe. We probably scale back our circles rather than increase (even if we don’t think we do). There are no schools open. Larger social events actually reduce smaller. We make bubbles. Christmas Day / Boxing Day parties are generally kept within families or in turn see that family over the Christmas period. 

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think it would be reasonable to suggest that LFTs aren't hugely effective, but when the alternative is total guesswork....

Or becoming part of the 100% increase (albeit on one particular day - even so, eye watering figures nonetheless) in PCRs being conducted since the final week in November...

image.png.3a296f09b128152c5a051ed2b98b0300.png

Edited by Legend_in_blue

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'm really sorry to hear that - what a shit timing, but this is so ridiculously contagious it seems almost inevitable. As you know, seven of my family came down with it last week - three are teachers, one works in clinical healthcare, it then spread to their partners/families. Four of them are in London, two in Birmingham, one in Leicester. My daughter registered with track and trace yesterday and she's been bombarded with phone calls since. 

Ensure that you test again and sort a PCR test?

LFTs are very accurate and dependable in terms of positive results. The issue is, the amount of false negatives. Given our reliance and faith in these as a 'green light' in terms of mixing, the inaccuracies have always concerned me. But as @HighPeakFox says, it's all we have and we do need to test. 

Thank you for your gracious words, seeing as we've (to say the least) disagreed on how to react to the whole caboodle. 

I caught mine in London last week at work.  70+ of 110 seem to have got it. LFTs were varying. 

I don't regret my mixing. I don't regret in being in what I thought was responsible by taking daily lfts....but i do feel foolish considering lfts  a green light  to carry on when I knew i was at risk