Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Well I thought my sense of taste and smell had survived but today I ate a pineapple and some malteasers and realised they tasted of absolutely nothing. But that's only happened to me today. Been ill for 3 days. Strange. 

Like all aspects of COVID, it's a completely lottery how this symptom affects individuals. I lost my sense of taste with it for literally about a day and a half, and I know others who are only just getting it back months later. Hope it's the former for you

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Like all aspects of COVID, it's a completely lottery how this symptom affects individuals. I lost my sense of taste with it for literally about a day and a half, and I know others who are only just getting it back months later. Hope it's the former for you

You've clearly not tasted my missus cooking. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Regardless of opinions on COVID and what happens with restrictions etc., I hope everyone stay's safe both physically and mentally when the inevitable happens and we go into lockdown. X

We might not go into full lockdown. And before I start banging off on the "but covid isn't about opinion homily", (which is true by the way) - I will nonetheless offer one. A firebreak in January, numbers on household gatherings and implications for hospitality. Aside from the usual mixed messaging the lack of clarification for business is appalling and wreaks horrendous damage in terms of confidence and trade. As I think @fox_up_north mentioned, the assembly of a package of support for business does not bode well though. An extended lockdown would be horrendous to contemplate and disastrous for us all. 

Personally, thank you for your kind wishes and have a restful, peaceful Christmas yourself. Not confident enough to wish anyone happy and prosperous new year in the immediate sense, but rest assured, there will be an end to this. 

Edited by Line-X

Guest Chocolate Teapot
52 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I know they're all for urging caution and there's a lag and stuff but isn't this critical information. Not being widely discussed is it?

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I know they're all for urging caution and there's a lag and stuff but isn't this critical information. Not being widely discussed is it?

It's initially promising information, but perhaps it might be best to wait one more week to be more certain.

13 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Not necessarily.  Cases have peaked in London and expected to fall. The Telegraph. 

lol You appear to be referring to Andrew Lilico's opinion piece reporting the "cases data suggests, tentatively, that the wave might have peaked in London". Let's see what the data tells us by the end of this week. 

However, what we can perhaps count on is that nationwide, cases of omicron will in all probability peak very rapidly and subsequently drop off - and yes, London may well be an illustration of this. Like I said, the 'wait and see' strategy means that we'll have to wait and see but I still can't see any potential lockdown being lengthy. Let's hope it doesn't come to that at all. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

Don't think it will be a full lockdown- probably limited to meeting one/ two other households indoors and the rule of six outdoors with team sport taking place.

We've already seen that people are scaling back to prioritise meeting family over larger gatherings- let's not ban all that again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Analysing hospitalisations in the UK as a whole is pointless at the moment in terms of understanding Omicrons likely impact.

London is what needs to be watched over upcoming days where the hospitalition data is now starting to become relevant.

Have said it before, but it's likely that enough will be known by Christmas day from the London data to decide whether additional restrictions needed or not.

It seems a bit redundant to be deciding on lockdowns post Christmas already, when outcomes are already baked in for London. We now may as well just wait for that better data and then make a quick decision.

Edited by martyn

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

46 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

the significant growth will come after the Christmas holiday celebrations.  If we can get to grips with things now then we can lessen its Impact. It’s highly highly transferable which is why it’s causing such alarm now..

16 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Its a very weird and messed-up world when you look at 90,000+ daily infections and can't help but think, 'Hey that's alright. At least it hasn't gone up too much.' 

But if these infections prove to not increase the amount of people in ICU is it a major issue? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

I'm just thrilled the Flu deaths last year and so far this year have almost disappeared. 

Its like this Covid epidemic has almost destroyed the severity of the Flu and hardly anyone is dying of Influenza nowadays. 

Almost wiped out. Fantastic news.

well if you think about it, people have been social distancing, hand hygiene has improved. People have worn face masks a lot- all the thing that have been used in the fight against Covid are also beneficial in stopping the spread of Flu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

What will become a major issue is the cost that this testing is having.

The UK in the past week has tested more people than anywhere else in the world, including India and the US.  Ridiculous.

£5 a LFT its costing the tax payer apparantly. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Its a very weird and messed-up world when you look at 90,000+ daily infections and can't help but think, 'Hey that's alright. At least it hasn't gone up too much.' 

the hope is that we may end up with a lot more than that and no major effect on hospitalisations- for the time be8mg we simply don’t know 

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

What will become a major issue is the cost that this testing is having.

The UK in the past week has tested more people than anywhere else in the world, including India and the US.  Ridiculous.

once the pandemic becomes endemic (and likely before then), testing will drop off markedly ….

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There was no chance he wanted to be remembered as the PM who cancelled Xmas twice 

and by the weekend they will have the data ref possible new year restrictions 

everything crossed 

Yep, everything crossed that this all blows over and no notable travel restrictions are put in. One can hope... 

• Thanks 1