Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

52 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

All the virologists seemed to be very smug and I told you so about a new strain of Omicron found in Germany. Fingers crossed it doesn’t transpire. We’ve been here before 

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......

'Omicron II The return!!'

😵😫😱👺😈☠️💉⚰️...in cinemas now!

( If they're open of course).

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

All the virologists seemed to be very smug and I told you so about a new strain of Omicron found in Germany. Fingers crossed it doesn’t transpire. We’ve been here before 

Don t understand your Take on ALL Virologists & smug...!:dunno:

3 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Ferguson &co have been wrong on so many occasions they’re completely discredited. 

It was clear enough at the time, that a model that expects cases to double every other day forever is obviously a nonsense.  By late January we would all have been catching it every hour.  All such models need to have an estimate of when it will stop doubling; touch wood, it's earlier than any of us would have predicted. but the 1m cases per day was always wildly unlikely.

4 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Ferguson &co have been wrong on so many occasions they’re completely discredited. 

At the end of the Boy Who Cried Wolf the wolf *does* come. And the consequences for the villagers are much worse for not having listenedv and the boy being right just once.

• Like 1

So do I have it right that you can be unvaccinated, contract the virus, then test yourself after 6 and then 7 days and release yourself if you're negative. But if you are someone who lives in the same house and are unvaccinated but never test positive you have to isolate for the full 10 days? Or am I reading that wrong? 

33 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So do I have it right that you can be unvaccinated, contract the virus, then test yourself after 6 and then 7 days and release yourself if you're negative. But if you are someone who lives in the same house and are unvaccinated but never test positive you have to isolate for the full 10 days? Or am I reading that wrong? 

I read it the other way round. If you’re a close contact, you self isolate for 7 days if the lateral flow is negative day 6 and 7 of your isolation period. 

Excuse my stupidity, but I know this variant is more transmissible than other variants, but what does that mean? How do I catch it easier? Does it mean that if someone breathes over me, I’m more likely to pick it up? Does it stay on surfaces longer? Does it travel further in the air? Is standing 2ms away with mask not good enough? 

How do I limit my risk in catching in when I do the weekly shop in a supermarket? I have always worn a mask, is this good enough? If I unknowingly have it how do I stop/limit spreading it? I do regular LFT test anyway 2-3 days a week for work and my own comfort as I have been round vulnerable people 

Edited by fox_favourite

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

It was clear enough at the time, that a model that expects cases to double every other day forever is obviously a nonsense.  By late January we would all have been catching it every hour.  All such models need to have an estimate of when it will stop doubling; touch wood, it's earlier than any of us would have predicted. but the 1m cases per day was always wildly unlikely.

No epidemiologist would expect cases to double forever. These people are not idiots.

19 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Excuse my stupidity, but I know this variant is more transmissible than other variants, but what does that mean? How do I catch it easier? Does it mean that if someone breathes over me, I’m more likely to pick it up? Does it stay on surfaces longer? Does it travel further in the air? Is standing 2ms away with mask not good enough? 

How do I limit my risk in catching in when I do the weekly shop in a supermarket? I have always worn a mask, is this good enough? If I unknowingly have it how do I stop/limit spreading it? I do regular LFT test anyway 2-3 days a week for work and my own comfort as I have been round vulnerable people 

basically it takes less particles of the omicron strain to ‘overwhelm’ your body’s defenses and infect you.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to protect yourself,

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MPH said:

basically it takes less particles of the omicron strain to ‘overwhelm’ your body’s defenses and infect you.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to protect yourself,

Ah, thank you. Sorry if it seemed a stupid question. Just see the news that it’s more transmissible etc…but not how. 

8 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

7 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I read it the other way round. If you’re a close contact, you self isolate for 7 days if the lateral flow is negative day 6 and 7 of your isolation period. 

good questions 

I think that if you are a v close contact of an omicron infection (safe to assume that pretty well all new infections will be omicron) then you are expected to contract it because it transmits so easily. Hence your isolation is to stop you spreading it before you become symptomatic. Hence you need to isolate for ten days. This is a bummer restriction but understandable. Not sure how to mitigate against this de facto ‘pingdemic’.  Perhaps new data that shows double jabbed and boosted doesn’t contract omicron so easily will lead them to change the advice but not there for a while yet. 

The reduction of isolation for positive cases that show two neg LFT tests is something that should have been introduced some time ago.  I also think it should be advised that you must have shown positive on an LFT whilst infected to then use the two neg results to conclude your isolation.  some people are never showing positive on lft’s and then do so on pcr. Whether that reveals a problem with their use of the test kits or a bigger issue with the test kits and certain scenarios is unknown. Anyone who is positive PCR and not positive LFT thereafter would be advise to take a further PCR to ensure it’s not a false positive. 

actual govt advice says that double jabbed don’t need to isolate if a close contact unless told to by test and trace 

When you do not need to self-isolate

If you live with or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, you will not need to self-isolate if any of the following apply:

• you're fully vaccinated – this means 14 days have passed since your final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine
  • you're under 18 years and 6 months old
  • you're taking part or have taken part in an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
  • you're not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

Even if you do not have symptoms, you're strongly advised to:

Edited by st albans fox

7 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Like all of these rules, I treat them as guidance and not gospel. 

I am on day 6 of symptoms now and STILL feel unwell with cold type symptoms. So I won't even bother with a test until I've had 2 or 3 clear days of feeling better, which atm feels a long way away 🤒

As for one of the kids, they've had a negative PCR overnight (I've lost my trust in lateral flows) and as such, is now free from isolation in my book and can go stay elsewhere for xmas

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Like all of these rules, I treat them as guidance and not gospel. 

I am on day 6 of symptoms now and STILL feel unwell with cold type symptoms. So I won't even bother with a test until I've had 2 or 3 clear days of feeling better, which atm feels a long way away 🤒

As for one of the kids, they've had a negative PCR overnight (I've lost my trust in lateral flows) and as such, is now free from isolation in my book and can go stay elsewhere for xmas

What symptoms have you got? What was the first one? Have you used LFTs Regularly or was it for the purpose of finding out if you had Covid? I’m just curious 

Edited by fox_favourite

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Basically it's almost identical to a sinussy cold. Runny nose, snot pouring down your throat, ears whistling and head a bit foggy and generally a bit achy. That's it.

The only difference to a cold is, that, normally, it'd be well on its way out after 6 days. This just has got stuck and doesn't progress like a cold would

Just hope that is the way Omicron effects all of us that catch it. I caught covid at the start of the first wave (managed to trace it to the mother-in-law (subsequently died) of the wife's work colleague on return from Cyprus) so it was probably the original Wuhan/Alpha/Kent variant. I thought I was going to die, couldn't breathe, uncontrollable cough, very high temperature/fever, massive fatigue. Mrs Spud called 111 and they sent out paramedics but I refused to be admitted as I expected to never come out. Very slowly fought it off over the next few days after which they discovered lung abnormalities caused by the virus. Whilst not getting off Scott free, I seem to have been one of the lucky survivors. 

• Like 1

A cafe I go to in Manchester has announced it's shutting for that post-Christmas week. Unthinkable previously - especially as it's a stone's throw from all the shops and centre of the city. 

Can't tell if it's self imposed because they don't know what's coming or if they're being nice to staff. My gut instinct is the former, sadly. 

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

No epidemiologist would expect cases to double forever. These people are not idiots.

So why do they treat everyone else as idiots?  The "million cases per day by the end of the year" projections made no reference at all to the certainty that even if cases are doubling, they must of necessity stop sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Seeing how quiet many Cities are I can’t help feeling a full on lockdown of pubs and restaurants straight after Xmas is a massive over reaction and totally not needed. I was down the rugby at the weekend and I’d say only half to two thirds of the tickets sold came to the match. Pubs will be quiet all next week except for New Years. Why force a closure when it’s not really needed due to people choosing their own precautions. 

• Like 4