Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

So it looks like even Australia are calming down their mental restrictions because of how positive the Omicron variant is now, very interesting and a real cause to be optimistic 

Except here in WA where they’ve shut the borders to all other states.

7 hours ago, MPH said:

There’s people who are catching covid more than once… it’s possible that it’s similar to the flu virus in so much that you can become immune to a certain strain or even have a ‘ decent’ immune system  from catching it but after a while your immune system ‘ dies down’ again.

with the way it mutates, there’s  evey possibility there is a strain either now or on the way that could infect far more people that we even know… the only reason we can put a number on the amount of people with covid is because of the number of people who have been tested… if someone isn’t showing symptoms then that doesn’t mean they haven’t got covid or can’t pass it on to someone, it just means they are not symptomatic and won’t be tested. Several of the Drs I work with all day similar things- the amount of positive covid cases numbers we currently see might  only be a percentage of how many positive cases we currently have. 

no one is immune from catching Covid. 

Yes, I agree all of that..  But it still doesn't contradict what I am saying, which is that viruses come and go and they have waves where they go up and down, and we don't know all the reasons for it.  But it is a guarantee that whatever we do or don't do about each mutation of coronavirus, there would be a wave going upwards which would eventually turn downwards again and at the end of the wave, there would be a certain number of people infected.  Not everyone would be infected, even though it would be more than we would have proof of.

But there is no guarantee that a variant that travels five times as fast would have five times as many cases in its wave.  There are far too many other variables.

• Like 1

Had Pfizer booster yesterday morning, felt sound as a pound all yesterday, woke up today and feel like I had 10 pints last night. That weird, almost sour tasting mouth you get after a night on the ale and a really fuzzy head that’s trying to make way for a headache. 

Still not as bad as 2nd dose of Moderna though. Felt horrendous on that. 

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The following morning a very sore arm.  lol

Apart from that, had chills in the night briefly but OK now.  Just a couple of aches and a slight headache.  Although the headache was probably brought on by last night's game tbf lol

I am an old bloke and don't want to put anyone off taking vaccine or booster. Had two doses of AZ then Moderna booster. Little bit rough for a day after first dose then all OK. No side effects at all from second dose or booster. 

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Omicron 5x less severe than delta. Good, no need for any more restrictions. Unless of course you're unfortunate enough to live under Drakeford and Sturgeon.

Excellent news ……but if a fifth of people end up in hospital in comparison but ten times as many are infected then you could have double what we currently see.  That’s still not going to overwhelm

although isolation absence within the NHS may be a larger problem than admissions

……. So yes, maybe we will get to see us get hammered by liverpool in person ! 

Edited by st albans fox

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Excellent news ……but if a fifth of people end up in hospital in comparison but ten times as many are infected then you could have double what we currently see.  That’s still not going to overwhelm

although isolation absence within the NHS may be a larger problem than admissions

Noooo

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Encouraging to read about all the reactions to the jabs 

we should be well set to avoid too many hospitalisations based on this ! 

True, but still feel weird.  Lethargy is taking over now.  Head still feels fuzzy too.

The question I have is this, and to my knowledge has not been adequately answered by the trio of doom - if 1 in 3 are supposedly asymptomatic and have had no knowledge of having had the virus, should they not have a vaccine within so many days?  I forget the exact amount.  So with this is mind, there must be a proportion of people who have willingly taken a vaccine having had the virus unknowingly within the window in which it should not be taken.  I wonder if this is linked to side effects at all?  Any studies?  Implications?

Perhaps @Line-X can shed some light on this - there must be an answer contained within his myriad of medical journals etc somewhere...  lol

12 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

True, but still feel weird.  Lethargy is taking over now.  Head still feels fuzzy too.

The question I have is this, and to my knowledge has not been adequately answered by the trio of doom - if 1 in 3 are supposedly asymptomatic and have had no knowledge of having had the virus, should they not have a vaccine within so many days?  I forget the exact amount.  So with this is mind, there must be a proportion of people who have willingly taken a vaccine having had the virus unknowingly within the window in which it should not be taken.  I wonder if this is linked to side effects at all?  Any studies?  Implications?

Perhaps @Line-X can shed some light on this - there must be an answer contained within his myriad of medical journals etc somewhere...  lol

I was wondering this, and why they don’t ask you to take a test before having the vaccine. 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

this seems like the biggest immediate threat to be honest

From BBC News

Nearly 19,000 NHS staff were absent for Covid-related reasons on 19 December - up 54% on the previous week.

Yes people isolating is going to be a major issue now. I partied hard last week by my standards and a few lads I was out with are testing positive this week. The wife was out a couple of times and also knows a couple of her group who have the virus. I’d imagine come the new year there will be millions literally having to isolate if my little number is standard elsewhere in the England.  Obviously the Welsh and Scotts will be fine as they are being locked up more 😉

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

He seems to have gone awol. 

No I'm still here - had a minor mishap with a step ladder and a mound of medical journals toppling over, but I'm ok now! I managed to claw my way out after a day.

In answer to the very good point that you raise @Legend_in_blue since the negative results on LFTs are somewhat prone to error and since the virus can be carried asymptomatically it's bound to happen - and it obviously won't be noticeable. In some cases though it could be incubating and you come down with it prior to the booster taking effect but simultaneously with the side effects from the latter as your already active immune system fires up some more. Coinfection occurs when two germs or viruses, cause infections at the same time. More than 100 viruses can cause the common cold, so it's not unusual to be exposed to two or more at once which is why a cold can knock you for six and people mistakenly term it flu. 

You are advised to wait 24 days for the booster after you have tested positive for covid for precisely this reason - to avoid any overlap in symptoms. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Sisters best friends brother, lad I know reasonably well had a heart attack and a stroke this morning, 25 years old fit as a fiddle, had his booster yesterday morning. What chance did he have of covid causing him problems? Somethings not right. 

Sorry to hear this. You won’t get anyone acknowledging this in this thread tbh. 

• Like 2