Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Not sure of Ive already mentioned(!) But i had covid really bad last month and still getting over it.

Booked my booster for 28th, but in 2 minds if I should bother?

Presume ice got some antibodies and the last thing I want is to be I'll again, especially  to see us get hammered by them scouse tw@ts at night.

I’d leave it a bit longer personally 

Though they say 28 days between Covid and a vaccine, I’m guessing the longer you leave it, the less of the effects you’d feel

I certainly wouldn’t be having it the day of the Liverpool game in any case!

16 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Is there any chance that taking all these vaccines weaken your immune system. In a way that you become dependent on them. It’s beginning to feel like you’ll need 2 or 3 every year for ever more. Look at the damage over use of anti biotics have done. Is there a comparison I wonder. 

I’m no medical expert but doesn’t the vaccine just train your immune system to do something where as I would guess actual medicine like antibiotics does something your body can’t. 

Vaccines aren’t new so I can’t imagine this being true.

25 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Is there any chance that taking all these vaccines weaken your immune system. In a way that you become dependent on them. It’s beginning to feel like you’ll need 2 or 3 every year for ever more. Look at the damage over use of anti biotics have done. Is there a comparison I wonder. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59639973

This might answer your question 

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Not sure of Ive already mentioned(!) But i had covid really bad last month and still getting over it.

Booked my booster for 28th, but in 2 minds if I should bother?

Presume ice got some antibodies and the last thing I want is to be I'll again, especially  to see us get hammered by them scouse tw@ts at night.

I think it's a common presumption that anti-bodies are always produced after a covid infection. I'm not sure that's true for everyone but the SA research suggests that Omicron is 3 times more likely than Delta to evade immunity following a prior infection.  It appears possible that reinfection is going to be common place.

I think the NHS advises a 4 week delay from the positive test before having the booster. 

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

As has been said before, if one wants certainty about the way the world works, especially considering novel matters, one should look at religion, not science. It may be wrong, but at least its very *certainly* wrong.

This false expectation of perfection in terms of predictions turns up again and again on here and honestly I think it's most often based on political points rather than honesty of purpose. (I should probably keep this response on copy-paste tbh.)

And, as also has been said before...is there a better/ more accurate mechanism for understanding the world and what goes on in it? I'd like to hear it.

According to that article worst case is 5000/day and best case is 3000/day. If that’s true then it’s so far from reality (100/day) surely it’s just plain wrong, and of no use?

3 minutes ago, danny. said:

According to that article worst case is 5000/day and best case is 3000/day. If that’s true then it’s so far from reality (100/day) surely it’s just plain wrong, and of no use?

Certainly it is at the present time  and should be disregarded - along with a great many other projections trying to predict the actions of this novel virus.

However, the point is that we have no other system that has a higher (or even equal) success rate, do we? So while critique of the scientific method is fine, without suggesting what might explain what's going on here and in other areas with more success, it rings a little hollow and rather like complaining for its own sake.

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I spotted this game yesterday in WH Smith. Popular one for all the family at Christmas then, or perhaps kill some dark winter evenings during a New Year lockdown?

IMG_20211223_143101339.jpg.bcdbb05d86bb537c85a98d092adfea52.jpg

Imagine wrapping this for someone on Christmas day? Can't imagine a better way to guarantee a board shoved up your arse sideways. 

I game by who, sorry…?

Ah, right. Leacock.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Munshi said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10321139/amp/Is-UK-heading-New-Year-lockdown-Professor-Neil-Ferguson-7-000-Omicron-deaths-DAY.html

Will he not face any consequences for his utterly ridiculous predictions when he knows full well deaths wouldn’t have reached anywhere near those figures?..

He has no credibility left at all.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Omicron 5x less severe than delta. Good, no need for any more restrictions. Unless of course you're unfortunate enough to live under Drakeford and Sturgeon.

Drakeford is now being called out for it in the press.  He's basically lied to the public in saying that Omicron is as severe as Delta when justifying his decision to bring in further restrictions.

This is where Bojo needs to tread carefully next week.  There's still nothing in the data, other than "cases", that he can use to justify further restrictions without coming out with another one of his lies.  Trouble for him though is I can't see a way he can come out with a believable lie that the public will go along with this time round.

From what I've read elsewhere, it looks as though even nightclubs will still be open on New Years Eve.  Will have to wait and see what happens.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

This is a question (and concern) I've always had. When we starting rolling out vaccines, young people were getting ill and older people were fine - I read that it was because the older you are the more viruses you've fought off and it suggested that every time you use your immune system it becomes a little bit weaker. I guess that could also explain why the older you are the less likely you are to fight things off. My simple logic, on that basis, is that injecting viruses a few times a year is also likely to be detrimental to your immune system in the long term.

As I said, that is just my logic from what I read at the time and it doesn't go into why we should/shouldn't get the vaccine, the risk of harm from COVID - that is not the question I'm asking.

If anyone is experienced in this area it would be great to get some insight...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

He has no credibility left at all.

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The writing was on the wall back in March 2020 lol

"... it's only a projection that that asteroid is going to hit us and they've been wrong before! Remember that, they were wrong before,  they've got no credibility, don't listen to them and don't fund a response to it!"

*cut to a year later*

Cockroaches: "Party time!"

46 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Certainly it is at the present time  and should be disregarded - along with a great many other projections trying to predict the actions of this novel virus.

However, the point is that we have no other system that has a higher (or even equal) success rate, do we? So while critique of the scientific method is fine, without suggesting what might explain what's going on here and in other areas with more success, it rings a little hollow and rather like complaining for its own sake.

I see your point, but if it’s completely wrong it suggests his model must not work. If that’s so, is it even following the scientific method? Carrying out simulations on a broken model doesn’t seem of much use. Not being able to suggest anything better feels like a fallacy. Like when religious people claim god/angels/ghosts did something and then say it’s true because no one else can explain it. 

I don’t think it’s just moaning either. Maybe from some people - but if you’re trying to run a business, then this is affecting policy, and if it’s wrong this can mean people’s livelihoods ruined for not good reason. It’s been hard enough for many industries since 2020 without more lockdowns if they aren’t needed. 

44 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I spotted this game yesterday in WH Smith. Popular one for all the family at Christmas then, or perhaps kill some dark winter evenings during a New Year lockdown?

Imagine wrapping this for someone on Christmas day? Can't imagine a better way to guarantee a board shoved up your arse sideways. 

Pandemic has been around for ages now - it’s a decent game. Very popular with board game nerds. There is a dice based version too. 

Edited by danny.

32 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I know this and other games got discussed in the original cv thread at the start of all this.Xmas eve 2018 I was in a John Lewis and they were selling this and the classic Wembley board game.I treated myself and got them both.Wembley has seen plenty of action,but Pandemic remains unopened under the stairs.I’m assured by my B/L that it is an excellent game.Needs team work apparently.

I did used to play the virus creation app that you can get for the phone.Can’t remember it’s name.Though I couldn’t bring myself to play it for months during 2020.Didn’t want to curse us all.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I think it's a common presumption that anti-bodies are always produced after a covid infection. I'm not sure that's true for everyone but the SA research suggests that Omicron is 3 times more likely than Delta to evade immunity following a prior infection.  It appears possible that reinfection is going to be common place.

I think the NHS advises a 4 week delay from the positive test before having the booster. 

Yeah, but you won't get omicrom again. 

So, i won't be getting a booster once I've shook omicrom off as

A) the effect of booster and/or prior infection versus omicrom is negligible 

B) we  have no idea what the next form of mutation will take post omicrom....though it's (surely) likely to be a variant of omicrom rendering the current vaccine even less efficient 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but you won't get omicrom again. 

So, i won't be getting a booster once I've shook omicrom off as

A) the effect of booster and/or prior infection versus omicrom is negligible 

B) we  have no idea what the next form of mutation will take post omicrom....though it's (surely) likely to be a variant of omicrom rendering the current vaccine even less efficient 

1.  You will get omicron again.  Neither vaccines nor prior infection can stop you breathing the omicron virus in through your nose and mouth.  what vaccines and prior infections do it destroy it, ideally before you have even noticed it is there.

2.  The primary effect of a booster versus omicron is that it means many fewer people die.  That isn't negligible.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Drakeford is now being called out for it in the press.  He's basically lied to the public in saying that Omicron is as severe as Delta when justifying his decision to bring in further restrictions.

This is where Bojo needs to tread carefully next week.  There's still nothing in the data, other than "cases", that he can use to justify further restrictions without coming out with another one of his lies.  Trouble for him though is I can't see a way he can come out with a believable lie that the public will go along with this time round.

From what I've read elsewhere, it looks as though even nightclubs will still be open on New Years Eve.  Will have to wait and see what happens.  

Full of Welsh people who’ve crossed the border

26 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

1.  You will get omicron again.  Neither vaccines nor prior infection can stop you breathing the omicron virus in through your nose and mouth.  what vaccines and prior infections do it destroy it, ideally before you have even noticed it is there.

2.  The primary effect of a booster versus omicron is that it means many fewer people die.  That isn't negligible.  

I don't think anyone can say with any clarity that having a prior infection of omicron is no guard against future infection. It hasn't been around long enough to measure. 

Logic suggests however that an identical  strain is unlikely to reinfect the same person....only a mutated version will

As for the booster, isn't it designed to fight off a different aspect of the spike protein (or whatever)? ....so having more of the same doesn't seem logical. It won't hurt, but surely won't help either

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't think anyone can say with any clarity that having a prior infection of omicron is no guard against future infection. It hasn't been around long enough to measure. 

Logic suggests however that an identical  strain is unlikely to reinfect the same person....only a mutated version will

As for the booster, isn't it designed to fight off a different aspect of the spike protein (or whatever)? ....so having more of the same doesn't seem logical. It won't hurt, but surely won't help either

It seems to help by flooding your system with antibodies such that even the mutated omicron strain finds it hard to gain any traction in your body ref infecting cells.  but that looks to be a shortish period of three/four months. 

rather hoping that the large number of people having natural infection over this period will lead to effective T cell immunity for a lot of people and that prior natural infection will also mean that these people, whilst still able to contract the infection, will not suffer anything more than a ‘bad case of flu’.  
the slowly shrinking number of vaccinated only population will likely remain prone to infection …..

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

It's a brilliant family game. I would recommend it! We will probably give it a go tomorrow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

40 fvcking quid???