Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

As I said, it depends on the data and I’m not sure how much there will be on the effects of omicron by early/mid feb. 

Of course there is also v little data available on booster side effects.  If you’re double vaxxed without any concerning side effects from that then I wouldn’t be concerned about the booster. 

assume you aren’t in the U.K. and that certainly complicates things for you.  No chance they will adjust legislation by the end of feb unless omicron is shown to be significantly more tepid than currently assessed over the next six weeks. I just don’t see many govts becoming less concerned until spring has really arrived. 

No I'm not in the UK.

Your right about the Spring, it's not gonna change before then. Bugger

25 minutes ago, shade said:

Out of interest what would be your cut off point, or point of exasperation? Would you take boosters indefinitely to keep your liberties?

For me I'd be willing to go all of next year being an outcast and then take a view this time next year,  but the missus doesn't have the same attitude. I spend most of my time outdoors and could easily cope. I suppose if  I couldn't go to the beach that would massively affect me, as that's my sanctuary at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

That's interesting, would you really consider it? Even if you couldn't have a cup of coffee outside at an empty bar on a warm day? I'm only asking as my freedom pass runs out on the the 25th February and that's the position I'll be in soon and  I don't want the 3rd shot. 

I'm over 40 btw but 10 times fitter and healthier than alot of under 40's I'd say.

I’m in a similar position, I had quite a bad reaction to second shot and lots of people seem to be having a worse reaction to the third, or a reaction where they previously didn’t have one.

Considering a booster only lasts 10 weeks, if I’m ill for 3-4 of those then I’ll be spending a few months each year just ill from vaccines - seems a bit bonkers considering I’m under 40 and healthy, so Omicron is likely to make me mildly ill for a few days in comparison.

And to pre-empt the “it’s for others not you”, I work from home, very rarely mix with others indoors and have no elderly/vulnerable family. 

1 hour ago, danny. said:

I’m in a similar position, I had quite a bad reaction to second shot and lots of people seem to be having a worse reaction to the third, or a reaction where they previously didn’t have one.

Considering a booster only lasts 10 weeks, if I’m ill for 3-4 of those then I’ll be spending a few months each year just ill from vaccines - seems a bit bonkers considering I’m under 40 and healthy, so Omicron is likely to make me mildly ill for a few days in comparison.

And to pre-empt the “it’s for others not you”, I work from home, very rarely mix with others indoors and have no elderly/vulnerable family. 

If the virus does indeed become a v mild infection for 80/90% of the population, the onus on the masses protecting the vulnerable will wane. 

There will be some who will argue that a rump of the population who are not jabbed will increase the chance of a more virulent mutation becoming established. I’m not qualified to comment on that. 

1 hour ago, danny. said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for people like you mate, if you're relatively young, maintain a healthy BMI (yes BMI is flawed but still), live well and have no underlying health conditions, but need to inject something in to your body every few months for a disease with a 99.7% survival rate for everyone under the top age band.

Don't forget via a freedom of information request it's known that over 90% of covid deaths had pre existing health problems, so relatively there's a miniscule chance you would be seriously ill, let alone die.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/covid19deathsandhospitalisationsbypreexistingconditionandage

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, shade said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for people like you mate, if you're relatively young, maintain a healthy BMI (yes BMI is flawed but still), live well and have no underlying health conditions, but need to inject something in to your body every few months for a disease with a 99.7% survival rate for everyone under the top age band.

Don't forget via a freedom of information request it's known that over 90% of covid deaths had pre existing health problems, so relatively there's a miniscule chance you would be seriously ill, let alone die.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/covid19deathsandhospitalisationsbypreexistingconditionandage

....until one discovers that they do in fact have a pre-existing condition that they didn't know about and Covid exposes that in brutal fashion. Dunno about anyone else but personally I think one is a long time dead and as such perhaps it's better to be safe than sorry.

In any case, judging by the information that is coming through now, with any luck this virus is well on the way to mutating into a form we can perhaps live with without inoculations, which is good news for everyone including those of an anti-vax mindset.

Until the next time a disease arises that requires a response, of course. And it will, and perhaps it won't be as forgiving of people not taking it seriously as this one has been.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

....until one discovers that they do in fact have a pre-existing condition that they didn't know about and Covid exposes that in brutal fashion. Dunno about anyone else but personally I think one is a long time dead and as such perhaps it's better to be safe than sorry.

In any case, judging by the information that is coming through now, with any luck this virus is well on the way to mutating into a form we can perhaps live with without inoculations, which is good news for everyone including those of an anti-vax mindset.

Until the next time a disease arises that requires a response, of course. And it will, and perhaps it won't be as forgiving of people not taking it seriously as this one has been.

Completely valid point, I'm sceptical that there's large numbers of people with relatively serious, undiagnosed conditions but of course, in that context the vaccine makes sense.

10 minutes ago, shade said:

Completely valid point, I'm sceptical that there's large numbers of people with relatively serious, undiagnosed conditions but of course, in that context the vaccine makes sense.

Yeah, it's really an unknown quantity, which is why I'd go for a more risk averse approach personally as we simply cannot be sure. Of course, others think differently.

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

Basically a cold then.

I've had much much worse colds than this. 

The only frustrating thing for me is the timelines...with a Cold you kinda know how it progresses through your system. With this, I can almost tell my body is a bit wrong footed by the virus and not sure when some minor symptoms are fully flushed out (even after the virus has been seen off)

4 hours ago, danny. said:

I hear you and I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. It's your body and for me it should be your decision what you do with it. Let's hope that all the restrictions on the fun things in life don't happen and this variant is indeed the end game, I doubt it but let's hope. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Soup said:

That's interesting, would you really consider it? Even if you couldn't have a cup of coffee outside at an empty bar on a warm day? I'm only asking as my freedom pass runs out on the the 25th February and that's the position I'll be in soon and  I don't want the 3rd shot. 

I'm over 40 btw but 10 times fitter and healthier than alot of under 40's I'd say.

Are there places we can't go outside without the covid passport? I thought we only needed them to go inside, and that to sit outside we don't need one? 

3 hours ago, shade said:

I’m of a similar mind, tbh I just got it because without a vaccine passport I won’t be able to do stuff or travel. The impact on my mental health of that isn’t worth it. 

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A valid point, although personally I’m pretty sure I had covid last year (it was just before testing but matched the symptoms) apart from the lingering cough which was just annoying more than anything, during the “feeling ill” bit I felt worse from the second jab.

So seems pointless to keep taking something every three months that makes me more ill than the thing it’s meant to stop me getting. No doubt be forced into it though if I want to travel. 

39 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Are there places we can't go outside without the covid passport? I thought we only needed them to go inside, and that to sit outside we don't need one? 

I think it's regional but in Valencia it's now restaurant and bar terraces as well as internal spaces. When it was first introduced if was only places with a capacity of over 50 but that all changed last week. 

This is going to cost a fortune, I’ve just seen a letter from the nhs to my son saying he’s now eligible for a booster, he’s already had it at a walk in centre in Birmingham, 4 pages long double sided and a glossy guide to getting a booster in a posh envelope. These things ain’t free to produce, no wonder the nhs is skint

Edited by yorkie1999

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

This is going to cost a fortune, I’ve just seen a letter from the nhs to my son saying he’s now eligible for a booster, he’s already had it at a walk in centre in Birmingham, 4 pages long double sided and a glossy guide to getting a booster in a posh envelope. These things ain’t free to produce, no wonder the nhs is skint

I thought Joe Bloggs was getting simple text messages. You must close to Royalty if he's getting that kind of service.

52 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Comparisons between parts of the year with how many cases we have are slightly fruitless given the mass changes in testing numbers 

It's why I don't take too much notice of supposed record figures. I dread to think what the numbers were when this really took hold in March/ April 2020.

16 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

image.thumb.png.eeb1baa8022766f8a6dac1454b0cbe15.png

People don't have anything better to do over Xmas obviously...

Is that testing solely PCR or include lateral flows registered? 

Both are fairly obvious as to why they'd be done around the Christmas period. You also have those who go abroad for Christmas. 

36 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

image.thumb.png.eeb1baa8022766f8a6dac1454b0cbe15.png

People don't have anything better to do over Xmas obviously...

19 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is that testing solely PCR or include lateral flows registered? 

Both are fairly obvious as to why they'd be done around the Christmas period. You also have those who go abroad for Christmas. 

Can you show how the daily number of tests has changed since vax passes were introduced?

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Smaller Nightingale Hospitals apparently being prepared again in the new year.. just in case they're needed... :mellow:

Are they preparing some imaginary doctors and nurses to staff them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1