Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

My day 6 LFT is positive so no early release for me. Probably going to be doing the full 10 days inside ffs

My wife's sisters fella is still testing positive on LFT on day 10, which baring in mind he had symptoms a day or two before is very odd is it not?

31 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah, obviously someone who gets it in hospital clearly still takes up resources but statistically the chances of them becoming seriously ill with it is the same as if they caught it outside, IE not very high at all? 

If only we had some journalists that would ask these kind of questions, as it is they all tow the line to make sure they don't get booted off the invitation list.

I’ve noticed over recent days that this point is being made when the health fella is chatting to the news anchor 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My wife's sisters fella is still testing positive on LFT on day 10, which baring in mind he had symptoms a day or two before is very odd is it not?

it is a bit odd but not completely unknown. Very doubtful will still be infectious. 

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Interesting... 

So first data now dripping out on efficacy of recently given boosters against new strain …….of course the goalposts may also have moved a fair way aswell which could mean that it was barely necessary in any case - will not know that for a fair while though so sensible to follow the route we are and cover all bases ….

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shade said:

Trust the science. Yes it sounds Orwellian, but trust us, you have to trust the science.

...there's a better method for analysing this virus and its effects on people/society, then?

This same argument keeps popping up, I keep asking the same question, and the same usual suspects keep refusing to answer - or dodging it by either going on about freedom of speech or giving some spiel about not having to have a better option to criticise an existing one (which is of course true, but it just makes the criticism hollow.)

Another thing that is being repeated; humans, especially those looking to understand this virus, aren't the biggest enemy here, as much as humans do like to engage in their powerplays and people like their human boogeymen. The thing that has killed over 5 million people and ticking is.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...there's a better method for analysing this virus and its effects on people/society, then?

This same argument keeps popping up, I keep asking the same question, and the same usual suspects keep refusing to answer - or dodging it by either going on about freedom of speech or giving some spiel about not having to have a better option to criticise an existing one (which is of course true, but it just makes the criticism hollow.)

Another thing that is being repeated; humans, especially those looking to understand this virus, aren't the biggest enemy here, as much as humans do like to engage in their powerplays and people like their human boogeymen. The thing that has killed over 5 million people and ticking is.

I will apologise for that, I get sucked in to petty commentary sometimes lol. No obviously we should listen to the science and follow it, I do think questioning it should be allowed though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shade said:

I will apologise for that, I get sucked in to petty commentary sometimes lol. No obviously we should listen to the science and follow it, I do think questioning it should be allowed though.

I think it's important to be aware that those within science spend the whole time questioning everything they do - if we as a society were capable of that level of self-reflection, the world would be a better place, I think.

To add - not a dig at you in any way.

9 minutes ago, shade said:

No problem mate, you will have seen that I go for more than a good amount of sarcasm and snark too. :thumbup: That's just human.

You're right that it should be questioned, HPF with his response here pretty much says what I want to say:

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think it's important to be aware that those within science spend the whole time questioning everything they do - if we as a society were capable of that level of self-reflection, the world would be a better place, I think.

To add - not a dig at you in any way.

Just to add to this, the scientific method itself is based upon constant, unceasing and meticulous examination of findings by peers within the community. That I trust - not the individual scientists themselves, but the method that they use to ensure accuracy of what findings are made and thus scientific "fact", which can and does change based on empiricism and the aforementioned peer review.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah, obviously someone who gets it in hospital clearly still takes up resources but statistically the chances of them becoming seriously ill with it is the same as if they caught it outside, IE not very high at all? 

If only we had some journalists that would ask these kind of questions, as it is they all tow the line to make sure they don't get booted off the invitation list.

Thart does not seem to be right to me.  If you are in hospital then surely your immune system is more likely to be impaired than someone who is not in hospital,  otherwise why you are there.  I appreciate not all of thosae in hosptial will have a impaired immune system just more on average than those in the rest of the community. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Thart does not seem to be right to me.  If you are in hospital then surely your immune system is more likely to be impaired than someone who is not in hospital,  otherwise why you are there.  I appreciate not all of thosae in hosptial will have a impaired immune system just more on average than those in the rest of the community. 

Depends what you're there for as you say. Is your immune system weakened if you're in for a broken arm or other physical trauma? 

But I'd agree that on average people in hospital probably have a weaker level of general fitness and immune system yes.

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

My friend had the same. Looks like Omicron is less intense, but you test positive for longer. Which is interesting considering last I knew they are talking about cutting the length of isolation time to just 5 days... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Just had my booster jab had the Moderna after having two doses of pfizer previously, I do not know of anyone else who has had the Moderna vaccine though, anyone on here had it?

I had it.  Felt reasonably ok first day then my arm was dead for two after.  Got it the start of the month which was handy now that I managed to catch the bloody thing.

9 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Just had my booster jab had the Moderna after having two doses of pfizer previously, I do not know of anyone else who has had the Moderna vaccine though, anyone on here had it?

I had the same combo as you. No dead arm, but it knocked me out for a couple of days afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I had moderna booster after 2 doses of AZ. All OK.  

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I had the same combo as you. No dead arm, but it knocked me out for a couple of days afterwards. 

Doesn't it bother any of you that you're doing this for just 10 weeks protection, minus the 2 weeks immediately after the vaccine when your immune system is actually compromised?

30 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I had moderna booster after 2 doses of AZ. All OK.  

43 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I had it.  Felt reasonably ok first day then my arm was dead for two after.  Got it the start of the month which was handy now that I managed to catch the bloody thing.

37 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Cheers for the replies, I had no reaction at all to either of the Pfizer jabs so hopefully the same with this Moderna as I am working tomorrow on triple time.

Edited by Will1981

1 minute ago, shade said:

Doesn't it bother any of you that you're doing this for just 10 weeks protection, minus the 2 weeks immediately after the vaccine when your immune system is actually compromised?

But you don’t know that’s true ?   And what do you mean by your last sentence ??  Where has that come from ?? 

no one knows how this will go 

that’s why the goalposts are continually being moved 

it could be that the boosters will provide a year’s protection. Evidence from Israel may not be comparable with here as their doses 1 and 2 were given v close to each other. 

4 minutes ago, shade said:

Not really ideally it would be better if it lasted longer but as a resonable fit 40 year old I take them when available to protect my older and clinically vulnerable family members.

• Like 2

Any chance of a quick poll?

how many people on here or known contacts/friends have had natural infection, two jabs, booster and then tested positive ??

and what about the above but without natural infection. ?

And what about the above but without the booster ? 

be interesting to see the anecdotal risks in real time rather than waiting a month or so for data ….

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

But you don’t know that’s true ?   And what do you mean by your last sentence ??  Where has that come from ?? 

it could be that the boosters will provide a year’s protection. Evidence from Israel may not be comparable with here as their doses 1 and 2 were given v close to each other. 

Vaccination makes you more susceptible to COVID...apparently.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The point of the sentence about 10 weeks' protection, is that there is a possibility that the vaccine is at its most efficient for just 10 weeks and then it starts to gradually drop.  Some people reckon that if it is 99% efficient then it is no use at all.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

The point of the sentence about 10 weeks' protection, is that there is a possibility that the vaccine is at its most efficient for just 10 weeks and then it starts to gradually drop.  Some people reckon that if it is 99% efficient then it is no use at all.

So it’s at best misleading??

Question:

I had a positive LFT yesterday, feel absolute awful and live with someone who has had a positive PCR so I feel fairly confident I've got COVID.  Aside from putting some more data into the machine to irritate @Legend_in_blue, which is really tempting, is there some subtle point to getting a PCR test that I'm missing?  As it stands, I really can't be arsed and wondering if I'm missing something here.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984_s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_3efbd37b-4957-4c1d-8357-f842d347808b_2627x1233.thumb.png.e84ffe317e1668b1fbdae4ef8d9aa906.png

1 minute ago, Zear0 said:

Question:

I had a positive LFT yesterday, feel absolute awful and live with someone who has had a positive PCR so I feel fairly confident I've got COVID.  Aside from putting some more data into the machine to irritate @Legend_in_blue, which is really tempting, is there some subtle point to getting a PCR test that I'm missing?  As it stands, I really can't be arsed and wondering if I'm missing something here.

Positive PCR test are slightly more accurate and it’s the result of that test which can automate a doctors note for your employer. 

Personally if omicron is confirmed as believed and suspected, we should be pulling the PCR tests. There is an enormous cost here which is confirming in 96% of cases that it’s a positive test. 

As omicron spreads, the whole testing scenario is becoming a serious waste of time and money. 

• Like 1