Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

15 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The point of the sentence about 10 weeks' protection, is that there is a possibility that the vaccine is at its most efficient for just 10 weeks and then it starts to gradually drop.  Some people reckon that if it is 99% efficient then it is no use at all.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20211227/covid-booster-protection-wanes-new-data

Its at 35-45% after 10 weeks and other sources say this may be overstated.

Edited by shade

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Positive PCR test are slightly more accurate and it’s the result of that test which can automate a doctors note for your employer. 

Personally if omicron is confirmed as believed and suspected, we should be pulling the PCR tests. There is an enormous cost here which is confirming in 96% of cases that it’s a positive test. 

As omicron spreads, the whole testing scenario is becoming a serious waste of time and money. 

Kind of thought as much.  Seeing as I am the employer, don't think I'll bother!  Can't book a slot for love nor money anyway.

Edited by Zear0

Just now, Zear0 said:

Kind of thought as much.  Seeing as I an the employer, don't think I'll bother!  Can't book a slot for love nor money anyway.

Personally think that we need to encourage the logical thinking of people like yourself.

The aim of track and trace is redundant now. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Order one by post then 

you don’t know what the future holds 

a PCR confirmed positive may be of some value to you on your covid record in the future 

@Zear0good point here subject to my advice, some countries use recovery from covid as a Legitimate entry requirement and who knows it may be useful in the future given suggestions that omicron infection builds a superior immunity than other COVID infections did 

56 minutes ago, rachhere said:

My friend had the same. Looks like Omicron is less intense, but you test positive for longer. Which is interesting considering last I knew they are talking about cutting the length of isolation time to just 5 days... 

They're having to consider this because it's ruining the economy, there's no staff in shops, in offices, on public transport etc. Everyone is off with a 7 day isolation and once one member of staff gets it, many others do.

I went in TGIs the other day and they had 3 front of house staff on, half the restaurant was closed because they didn't have the staff with everyone off sick. My workplace had 8 staff available out of 21 last week, most of us off on the sick with a couple of annual leave, lads were having to do 12 hour shifts back to back for a week straight just to keep us running.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

They're having to consider this because it's ruining the economy, there's no staff in shops, in offices, on public transport etc. Everyone is off with a 7 day isolation and once one member of staff gets it, many others do.

I went in TGIs the other day and they had 3 front of house staff on, half the restaurant was closed because they didn't have the staff with everyone off sick. My workplace had 8 staff available out of 21 last week, most of us off on the sick with a couple of annual leave, lads were having to do 12 hour shifts back to back for a week straight just to keep us running.

Definitely it’s an issue, although just because you will allow people back to work earlier doesn’t mean they will feel well enough to do so. 

• Like 1

The most annoying part of this section of the pandemic is definitely people smugly explaining how percentages work like nobody else has said it before them.

We get it, honestly, you don't need to repeat it. If you find yourself needing to say it, you're having a pointless discussion. Do something else instead, you'll feel better for it.

1 hour ago, shade said:

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20211227/covid-booster-protection-wanes-new-data

Its at 35-45% after 10 weeks and other sources say this may be overstated.

That's 45% protection against symptomatic infection.  :facepalm:

Who really cares whether or not you get symptoms?  Obviously I would prefer not to feel like I've got a cold if at all possible, but as long as I don't die, that's surely the main thing.  I'm sure those poor fools dying unvaccinated in intensive care aren't thinking "the vaccine wouldn't have prevented me feeling a bit rough, so it would have been no use".

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's 45% protection against symptomatic infection.  :facepalm:

Who really cares whether or not you get symptoms?  Obviously I would prefer not to feel like I've got a cold if at all possible, but as long as I don't die, that's surely the main thing.  I'm sure those poor fools dying unvaccinated in intensive care aren't thinking "the vaccine wouldn't have prevented me feeling a bit rough, so it would have been no use".

Something doesn't make sense, forgetting data, forgetting adjusted, unadjusted etc. Forgetting everything, I can't reconcile the following two facts...

1. We're told (no figures provided) that 9 out of 10 patients in intensive care are unvaccinated.

2. We're told from the governments own figures that 77% of deaths in the last month were vaccinated.

It doesn't seem right to me.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

And great end to 2021.

Heck, make yourself feel better and rub one out

If he feels like I do, he won't have the stamina (depending on how high his standards are...)

Went for the PCR for the pass/travel argument above, queue at County Hall was obscene. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Positive PCR test are slightly more accurate and it’s the result of that test which can automate a doctors note for your employer. 

Personally if omicron is confirmed as believed and suspected, we should be pulling the PCR tests. There is an enormous cost here which is confirming in 96% of cases that it’s a positive test. 

As omicron spreads, the whole testing scenario is becoming a serious waste of time and money. 

Question:  You have a cold and decide to contribute to keep the UK at the top of the league table for tests administered but unknowingly caught the virus asymptomatically less than 90 days ago.  PCR still useful?  

Edited by Legend_in_blue

33 minutes ago, shade said:

Something doesn't make sense, forgetting data, forgetting adjusted, unadjusted etc. Forgetting everything, I can't reconcile the following two facts...

1. We're told (no figures provided) that 9 out of 10 patients in intensive care are unvaccinated.

2. We're told from the governments own figures that 77% of deaths in the last month were vaccinated.

It doesn't seem right to me.

At least two definite factors that contribute to that:

1.  A lot of the deaths are of old people who were too frail to survive a big infection, vaccinated or no.  It's the same principle that leads to tens of thousands of people dying of flu each year, even though they were vaccinated - their hearts simply were ready to give out.  For these people, intensive care is no use because it can't save them, it can only make their last hours/days much less comfortable.

2.  People who die of something else but have had a recent positive test.  As it stands at present, 4% of people in this country have had a positive test in the past 28 days. Therefore in today's deaths, if coronavirus had no effect whatsover on death rates, we would still expect 4% of the deaths to have tested positive in the last 28 days - that would be about 60 people, being 4% of the average daily deaths of 1,500 in normal times. (Actually a bit more than that in December.)

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

At least two definite factors that contribute to that:

1.  A lot of the deaths are of old people who were too frail to survive a big infection, vaccinated or no.  It's the same principle that leads to tens of thousands of people dying of flu each year, even though they were vaccinated - their hearts simply were ready to give out.  For these people, intensive care is no use because it can't save them, it can only make their last hours/days much less comfortable.

2.  People who die of something else but have had a recent positive test.  As it stands at present, 4% of people in this country have had a positive test in the past 28 days. Therefore in today's deaths, if coronavirus had no effect whatsover on death rates, we would still expect 4% of the deaths to have tested positive in the last 28 days - that would be about 60 people, being 4% of the average daily deaths of 1,500 in normal times. (Actually a bit more than that in December.)

Good explanation, it's appreciated.

https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/omikron/statusrapport/rapport-omikronvarianten-31122021-ct18

89.7% of people infected with #Omicron in Denmark are either "fully vaccinated" or had their first booster, per report from today. 77.9% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Edited by shade

4 hours ago, shade said:

Doesn't it bother any of you that you're doing this for just 10 weeks protection, minus the 2 weeks immediately after the vaccine when your immune system is actually compromised?

It bothers me a lot. Especially as I was really ill from the last Pfizer. I'm not getting ill for a few weeks every 10 weeks, I'd rather not travel than that - although what a crappy situation esp. as my mental health is pretty bad at the best of times. Great for the people that just get a sore arm for a day, but for people that don't, a lose-lose situation.

1 minute ago, danny. said:

It bothers me a lot. Especially as I was really ill from the last Pfizer. I'm not getting ill for a few weeks every 10 weeks, I'd rather not travel than that - although what a crappy situation esp. as my mental health is pretty bad at the best of times. Great for the people that just get a sore arm for a day, but for people that don't, a lose-lose situation.

Sorry to hear that mate, I hope your mental health improves when this is all over. Have you had covid recently? If you've had it confirmed by PCR you get six months on the "passport" apparently, that's the saving grace for me, gets me through to June I guess, although I refuse to download the app or engage in the theatre of it all. I'll get a letter from my doctor if necessary for travel, but like you I'm willing to forget about it if needed, there's some lovely places in the UK.

27 minutes ago, shade said:

Good explanation, it's appreciated.

https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/omikron/statusrapport/rapport-omikronvarianten-31122021-ct18

89.7% of people infected with #Omicron in Denmark are either "fully vaccinated" or had their first booster, per report from today. 77.9% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Your link explains (page 7), children under 12 are not included in the 89.7% because none of them are fully vaccinated so they would skew the figures.  However, they are included in the percentage of population figure.  You need the percentage of over-12s fully vaccinated to get a useable comparison.

I’ve had Covid and all three vaccinations. 

My two pfizer jobs, I was fine with.

Covid - three days feeling rough, other than that, all good. 

Modena booster - felt like I’d been run into by a cow. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Your link explains (page 7), children under 12 are not included in the 89.7% because none of them are fully vaccinated so they would skew the figures.  However, they are included in the percentage of population figure.  You need the percentage of over-12s fully vaccinated to get a useable comparison.

Good point, that would make for a better comparison.

53 minutes ago, shade said:

Sorry to hear that mate, I hope your mental health improves when this is all over. Have you had covid recently? If you've had it confirmed by PCR you get six months on the "passport" apparently, that's the saving grace for me, gets me through to June I guess, although I refuse to download the app or engage in the theatre of it all. I'll get a letter from my doctor if necessary for travel, but like you I'm willing to forget about it if needed, there's some lovely places in the UK.

Thanks man, I've been like this for 15 years so probably stuck with it for life but some things definitely help and some make it worse. Lockdown, esp. when clubs/5-a-side were banned was really tough as they are crutches to get by each week. 

I suspect I had Covid just before the testing started, but I'll never know if it was. Matched the symptoms though. Have to just hope that the passports get dropped at some point.

29 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I'm 107% bored of remainer losers explaining science to me

Remainer, as in Brexit? If you're a leaver then I guess you don't do science or data?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, danny. said:

Remainer, as in Brexit? If you're a leaver then I guess you don't do science or data?

I do science and work in data analysis but I curb my hardon for it as I know it will only take you so far...many treat it like a new religion ..worshipping the almighty covid graph with its holy percentages..the true logic can only look like this.....bullshit..just like it will brexit will not prove to be an unmitigated disaster