Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Col city fan
9 hours ago, Babylon said:

“Lateral flow and home PCR test kits ran out online yet again today, as testing shortages enter their fifth day and calls grow for key workers to be prioritised.

No home PCR testing kits were available for either key workers or the general public on the Government’s website for around two hours on Friday morning and those for the public ran out again in the afternoon.

Lateral flow home delivery slots also ran out during the morning, reappearing at midday before becoming unavailable again in the early afternoon.”

….

”Conservative MP Sir Roger Gale said today that Mr Javid admitted there 'isn't a quick fix' to ongoing supply problems. 

The North Thanet MP added: 'Saj was very honest with me, he said, "look, there isn't a quick fix".'

Mr Gale continued: 'The long and the short of it is he says there is a worldwide shortage of lateral flow tests.”

….

A lack of lateral flow tests (LFTs) in UK pharmacies is a “huge” problem, providers have warned, as Covid lateral flow tests and PCR tests are unavailable to order from the government website for the second day, not even for essential workers.

There are also currently no available appointments for PCR tests at walk-through or a drive-through test sites in England and Northern Ireland, and only very few in Scotland, according to the government website.

……

Its alright everyone, if you need them Grobyfox can send them to you. Perhaps he can supply the government so that they can fulfil demand.

I’ve tried to get lateral flow tests from the govt website twice yesterday. On both occasions they were unavailable and I was told to try to get some from ‘local pharmacies’

There is a national shortage and this is hugely problematic at the moment because staff need to be regularly checking their lft’s AND must do lft’s if they’ve been off with Covid, before they return to work 

So we have situations where staff need to do lft’s to check they are ‘Covid free’ but the only way they can get them is to travel to pharmacies who might have them, at the same time as not knowing they are ‘Covid free’

Hope that makes sense 

Remember being told that ICUs were over 90% filled with unvaccinated individuals, both on this thread, in the newspapers and on Lorraine Kelly's insightful show? Turns out they were lying to us, again.

The figures are out, and although it doesn't look great for the maverick unvaccinated population, it's still disappointing to see the "establishment" lying to us.

Unvaccinated individuals in ICU in November were actually 48% and not 90%. That's a massive difference, and whilst I accept it's not particularly good news for unvaccinated people, it shows how the narrative controllers work.

Also a glimpse in to their methods, they say the definition of unvaccinated is "either no linked vaccination record in NIMS or first dose of vaccine received within 14 days prior to the positive COVID-19 test"

Another interesting side note is that over 50% had a BMI over 30. 

https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/596485d8-c264-ec11-9139-00505601089b

Edited by shade

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

I have just ordered a box of tests from the government website. It appears as though the supply issue was a temporary blip, who would have thought it?

I have too. It seems its just look of when you go online to do it. Also we've ordered them, we don't actually have them yet, don't get too excited lol

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I have too. It seems its just look of when you go online to do it. Also we've ordered them, we don't actually have them yet, don't get too excited lol

Very true! I tend to order in advance of when we need them rather than when we run out. Though thus far, the test kit process has been hugely efficient each time I have used it

31 minutes ago, shade said:

Remember being told that ICUs were over 90% filled with unvaccinated individuals, both on this thread, in the newspapers and on Lorraine Kelly's insightful show? Turns out they were lying to us, again.

The figures are out, and although it doesn't look great for the maverick unvaccinated population, it's still disappointing to see the "establishment" lying to us.

Unvaccinated individuals in ICU in November were actually 48% and not 90%. That's a massive difference, and whilst I accept it's not particularly good news for unvaccinated people, it shows how the narrative controllers work.

Also a glimpse in to their methods, they say the definition of unvaccinated is "either no linked vaccination record in NIMS or first dose of vaccine received within 14 days prior to the positive COVID-19 test"

https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/596485d8-c264-ec11-9139-00505601089b

Are you sure it isn’t 51/49 ??

just banter 

anyway, the figures do need fine tuning either way to take account of whether those in ICU are there because of covid or they happen to have tested positive within the previous 28 days …..given the wide ranging potential effects of covid on your organs, that’s going to be tough to do. 

I’ll have a look at your link when I have time ….

32 minutes ago, shade said:

Not a follower of our great!!!! PM by any stretch but I think you'll find that he said 90% of those with Covid in ICU's had not recived thier booster. https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-johnson-says-people-without-covid-boosters-ending-up-hospital-2021-12-29/

I don't have any way of confirming that but your link clearly does not, as you seem to say, debunk it.

11 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

That’s fantastic, but once again I ask: if shade or Farringdon fox had come out with such a statement which you know is just factually incorrect, would you have given them the time of day? I highly doubt it.

your first sentence sums it up perfectly lol. You can’t comment on the availability of tests on the uk, which is literally all I’m commenting on, so don’t

Point of order. It’s Farrington! 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Not a follower of our great!!!! PM by any stretch but I think you'll find that he said 90% of those with Covid in ICU's had not recived thier booster. https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-johnson-says-people-without-covid-boosters-ending-up-hospital-2021-12-29/

I don't have any way of confirming that but your link clearly does not, as you seem to say, debunk it.

Well if he did, he’s talking out of his backside (not for the first time).

he may as well have said that there aren’t any millionaires in ICU ……..of course those in ICU 29/12 haven’t had their booster - to be in ICU at Xmas time you would likely need to have been infected by mid dec. so the booster would have needed to have been taken by 5th dec - how many were boosted by then?

if he said booster then it was a faux pas and he meant double jabbed. The boosters are primarily needed against omicron. 

1 hour ago, shade said:

Before I look for information to confirm our refute this, I must ask a question.

What, exactly, is the reason behind the posts like this that you make on this thread? There seems to be an overarching theme but I don't want to guess, so please, be plain; what message are you trying to convey regarding this viral outbreak with posts like this?

Genuinely interested. Would also extend the question to others who think similarly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

The **** are you on about.

You know exactly what I’m on about. You said ‘hardly and tests are available’ 

so let’s try AGAIN…..back that statement up with actual nationwide level data that shows demand far outstripping supply for tests. If not, stop fear mongering. Misleading statements like this will stop people testing, which is vital 

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry guys...

There's a virus out there that has killed over five million people and rising, and here for the last few pages we are...arguing the toss and trying to point score over whether or not there are a requisite amount of test kits available to test for it?

I mean, either party could be right here but I'm thinking in the list of problems this thing is causing in order of importance, that one is pretty low. Certainly doesn't compare to an attempt to impugn the entire scientific method as @grobyfox1990attempted to compare it to above (sorry for the direct call out there, but there is a massive difference in the importance of the misinformation being peddled there, even if you are right).

I guess it's all just a bit of back and forth, but perhaps folks might simmer down on something that perhaps isn't massively important?

I completely disagree, respectfully. Statements like ‘hardly any tests are available’ may naturally lead to people not testing and instead hoarding tests at home. Which is not right. We should all be testing twice a week, minimum.

As I’ve said to you previously, it’s frustrating that people can sit on their high horse and look down on others on this thread, through no position of further strength. Babylon is a respected poster, that’s the only reason science club haven’t ripped into his unfounded nonsense. Unfortunately, you are the only one who treats all equally. 

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well if he did, he’s talking out of his backside (not for the first time).

he may as well have said that there aren’t any millionaires in ICU ……..of course those in ICU 29/12 haven’t had their booster - to be in ICU at Xmas time you would likely need to have been infected by mid dec. so the booster would have needed to have been taken by 5th dec - how many were boosted by then?

if he said booster then it was a faux pas and he meant double jabbed. The boosters are primarily needed against omicron. 

So hardly anybody had been boosted by then,  meaning his claim, for a changed, was likely to have been the truth.  Clearly though Shade's attachment was not debunking that claim,  which is all I was trying to explain. 

37 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Before I look for information to confirm our refute this, I must ask a question.

What, exactly, is the reason behind the posts like this that you make on this thread? There seems to be an overarching theme but I don't want to guess, so please, be plain; what message are you trying to convey regarding this viral outbreak with posts like this?

Genuinely interested. Would also extend the question to others who think similarly.

Hold on, because we disagree, I need a reason to make observations (or pass on other's observations) based on official data and events? Bit creepy.

Edited by shade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shade said:

Be interesting to understand the demographic of those unvaccinated. 48% of those in icu being unvaccinated on the assumption that a good percentage of those are under 60 who will take their chances with covid, is worrying. Reason for this assumption is I doubt there’s many over 60s / knowingly in a vulnerable group who have opted to not have the vaccine at this point.

1 minute ago, Trumpet said:

Be interesting to understand the demographic of those unvaccinated. 48% of those in icu being unvaccinated on the assumption that a good percentage of those are under 60 who will take their chances with covid, is worrying. Reason for this assumption is I doubt there’s many over 60s / knowingly in a vulnerable group who have opted to not have the vaccine at this point.

Well we know that 94% of covid deaths had an average of 4 co-morbidities and 50% of people on ICU have a BMI over 30, so I think we can guess they won't be the healthiest.

Please don't misunderstand me, if you're a fat, kebab guzzling, big drinking covid denier who won't get vaccinated then I have little sympathy. But for otherwise healthy people, I dislike their demonisation.

• Like 2

My son has had Covid, the 3 vaccines and has just tested positive again. Unlucky I said, not really he said I've been out loads of times this week.

You pays your money you take you're chance.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I completely disagree, respectfully. Statements like ‘hardly any tests are available’ may naturally lead to people not testing and instead hoarding tests at home. Which is not right. We should all be testing twice a week, minimum.

As I’ve said to you previously, it’s frustrating that people can sit on their high horse and look down on others on this thread, through no position of further strength. Babylon is a respected poster, that’s the only reason science club haven’t ripped into his unfounded nonsense. Unfortunately, you are the only one who treats all equally. 

I agree, but I do think there is a difference in the level of misinformation and the consequences it might entail.

20 minutes ago, shade said:

Hold on, because we disagree, I need a reason to make observations (or pass on other's observations) based on official data and events? Bit creepy.

You need to do nothing.

I'm asking, politely, for an explanation of motivation from a person who (presumably) trusts the scientific method in practically every other area of their life but this one.

It's curiosity and understanding I seek, but you're under no obligation to answer.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You know exactly what I’m on about. You said ‘hardly and tests are available’ 

so let’s try AGAIN…..back that statement up with actual nationwide level data that shows demand far outstripping supply for tests. If not, stop fear mongering. Misleading statements like this will stop people testing, which is vital 

There. Are. No. Tests. Available. Online. "Sorry, there are no home delivery slots left for these tests right now". 

Pharmacies have signs up in windows saying they have none. 

Areas around the country don't even have PCR testing available at times. 

Every single news outlet and newspaper have said there is a shortage of tests. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/lateral-flow-tests-to-be-constrained-over-next-two-weeks-warns-sajid-javid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/29/covid-testing-tatters-sajid-javid-blames-huge-surge-demand/

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-12-30/pressure-on-government-to-ramp-up-testing-capacity-amid-record-covid-levels

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/29/lateral-flow-test-shortage-is-a-supply-chain-disaster

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-great-concern-amid-shortage-of-coronavirus-tests-before-new-years-eve-parties-as-system-may-need-to-be-constrained-further-12506244

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-covid-test-shortage-brexit-b1983976.html

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/how-rapid-covid-tests-uk-6420081

The actual health secretary said in a letter to MP's they were "tripling the supply of lateral flow tests to 300 million per month by February", but added that as current shortages persist "we expect to need to constrain the system at certain points over the next two weeks".

Supply problems are also hitting the US who have shortages. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/28/politics/biden-covid-testing-shortage/index.html

But apparently I'm fear mongering. lol

Stop being a weirdo. I'm not stopping people testing, the lack of kits is. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve tried to get lateral flow tests from the govt website twice yesterday. On both occasions they were unavailable and I was told to try to get some from ‘local pharmacies’

Stop fear mongering Col. lol

1 hour ago, kenny said:

I have just ordered a box of tests from the government website. It appears as though the supply issue was a temporary blip, who would have thought it?

They are basically drip feeding them out, it's totally luck of the draw. I tried at 4am and about 20 minutes ago, nothing. Whether it's different depending on what area you are in I don't know. Obviously if you are in a certain postcode and Amazon or Royal Mail in your area don't have them, you don't get them. Where as somewhere else might have a new batch ready to go.