Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Hmmm. Time was when we’d think 4,476 deaths of perfectly healthy people was quite a lot. For comparison, it’s not far off the UK suicide toll in 2019.

And, lest we forget, the overall death toll of this disease in less than two years has exceeded all the wars and terrorist incidents in the last twenty-two.

People just don't seem to take needless death seriously when the cause isn't another human.

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

A lot of you need help frankly. I said as soon as Omicron was announced that all signs were that it was a mild disease and was immediately jumped on by the usual suspects in here. 

Lots of confirmation bias going on, rather than looking at all available data and reputable scientists on both sides of this. 

It’s has been, and remains, a bad time for all. Hopefully things will improve now through 2022. I do wish everyone well, vaxxed or unvaxxed and I wholeheartedly support everyone’s personal decision. 

I just hope that there won’t be long term repercussions for the vaccinated and that we can all get back to normal without any more artificial divides between us. 

Speaking for myself here, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with being sure about what Omicron is about before deciding to bet the farm on it being mild.

Do agree with you on the rest and especially on the bolded, simply because the next natural crisis might not be as forgiving of division and people not taking it seriously.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And, lest we forget, the overall death toll of this disease in less than two years has exceeded all the wars and terrorist incidents in the last twenty-two.

People just don't seem to take needless death seriously when the cause isn't another human.

I'm afraid we've all (to a greater or lesser extent) been desensitised to the death of others in many circumstances. There's a word for it, I think, but I don't know it.

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Speaking for myself here, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with being sure about what Omicron is about before deciding to bet the farm on it being mild.

Do agree with you on the rest and especially on the bolded, simply because the next natural crisis might not be as forgiving of division and people not taking it seriously.

You think that all the angst, the lockdowns, the personal and financial cost of the past couple of years, has been because we haven't been taking it seriously?  I beg to differ.

People are taking the future of this virus a lot less seriously because the future cost is likely to be much less than the past cost.  While lockdowns and other measures were acceptable for pre-vaccine days, a lot of people reckon they aren't now.  There are limits - or there ought to be - on how much power the government should have to shut down businesses and restrict people's liberties, and people like yourself who wish to take greater precautions than are strictly necessary really need to be taking them on your own account, not bringing the rest of us with you.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

You think that all the angst, the lockdowns, the personal and financial cost of the past couple of years, has been because we haven't been taking it seriously?  I beg to differ.

People are taking the future of this virus a lot less seriously because the future cost is likely to be much less than the past cost.  While lockdowns and other measures were acceptable for pre-vaccine days, a lot of people reckon they aren't now.  There are limits - or there ought to be - on how much power the government should have to shut down businesses and restrict people's liberties, and people like yourself who wish to take greater precautions than are strictly necessary really need to be taking them on your own account, not bringing the rest of us with you.

Five million plus hats on the ground, a significant proportion of them likely avoidable, says that we could have taken it more seriously than we did, yes.

I do agree with the point regarding the future and how there probably shouldn't need to be stringent further restrictions in the way there once was, but considering the potential consequences it might be nice to be sure of that before proceeding (which I think we're well on the way to being).

I stand by my point that people don't take natural threats seriously enough (see climate change) right up to the point they hit them personally; more people dead from this than all human conflict in the last two decades and you still have people saying it's all a hoax. And that, is a trait in humans that could well end up being flat-out suicidal. We must, as a species, get better at both unified responses and long-term planning for such events, because as I said the next disaster might not be so (relatively) mild.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

A lot of you need help frankly. I said as soon as Omicron was announced that all signs were that it was a mild disease and was immediately jumped on by the usual suspects in here. 

Lots of confirmation bias going on, rather than looking at all available data and reputable scientists on both sides of this. 

It’s has been, and remains, a bad time for all. Hopefully things will improve now through 2022. I do wish everyone well, vaxxed or unvaxxed and I wholeheartedly support everyone’s personal decision. 

I just hope that there won’t be long term repercussions for the vaccinated and that we can all get back to normal without any more artificial divides between us. 

I agree. The sooner the anti vax / covid denying lot get back to sharing minion quotes on Facebook instead of covid shite, the better for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Five million plus hats on the ground, a significant proportion of them likely avoidable, says that we could have taken it more seriously than we did, yes.

I do agree with the point regarding the future and how there probably shouldn't need to be stringent further restrictions in the way there once was, but considering the potential consequences it might be nice to be sure of that before proceeding (which I think we're well on the way to being).

I stand by my point that people don't take natural threats seriously enough (see climate change) right up to the point they hit them personally; more people dead from this than all human conflict in the last two decades and you still have people saying it's all a hoax. And that, is a trait in humans that could well end up being flat-out suicidal. We must, as a species, get better at both unified responses and long-term planning for such events, because as I said the next disaster might not be so (relatively) mild.

Edited by shade

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

As soon as it was announced, should get a job as an epidemiologist.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

But in the context of global population it’s a small number. 

Agreed. And in the context of focuses of human attention it's a large number.

A few thousand people died in September 2001, which then led to a trillion-dollar government response that left hundreds of thousands more dead, wounded and homeless. That, among other examples, is what I mean about humans taking threats from other humans more seriously in terms of response than natural ones.

Additionally...at what point do we think such natural threats merit that kind of undivided, money-absolutely-no-object attention? Ten million deaths within a few years? Fifty million? A hundred million? At what point do we start considering that perhaps we have enough to deal with regarding what the Earth can do to us rather than coming up with additional reasons to fight among ourselves?

The answer to that question is; hopefully before we have something on our doorstep that is too big to stop.

I'm alright Jack is a sadly popular sentiment now.  If you can't get your heads around the concept of scarcity relative to demand just because the supply issue hasn't hit you personally then there really is no helping you, this is object permanence levels of basic cognition, something most toddlers pick up.

• Like 1

Agreed. And in the context of focuses of human attention it's a large number.

A few thousand people died in September 2001, which then led to a trillion-dollar government response that left hundreds of thousands more dead, wounded and homeless. That, among other examples, is what I mean about humans taking threats from other humans more seriously in terms of response than natural ones.

Additionally...at what point do we think such natural threats merit that kind of undivided, money-absolutely-no-object attention? Ten million deaths within a few years? Fifty million? A hundred million? At what point do we start considering that perhaps we have enough to deal with regarding what the Earth can do to us rather than coming up with additional reasons to fight among ourselves?

The answer to that question is; hopefully before we have something on our doorstep that is too big to stop.

That's just natural.  If someone is robbing your house, you don't let it slide on the basis that so many people in Africa don't have a house.

What merits money-no-object attention?  Again, it depends on who is dying, just as it does in personal life.  Take a hypothetical family with a dying child.  If they sell their house they can get life-saving treatment for that child.  Do they sell the house?  Yes.  What if it was someone else's child?  No, they don't sell the house.  What if it was 95 year old Grandma?  No, they don't sell the house.  If this pandemic, which has been treated as money-no-object in domestic terms at least, had killed 100,000 children instead of 100,000 people over 80, then I dare say it would have had even more stuff thrown at it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Well we've a potential man made disaster waiting to occur in Ukraine right now. Covid is providing the perfect smokescreen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's just natural.  If someone is robbing your house, you don't let it slide on the basis that so many people in Africa don't have a house.

What merits money-no-object attention?  Again, it depends on who is dying, just as it does in personal life.  Take a hypothetical family with a dying child.  If they sell their house they can get life-saving treatment for that child.  Do they sell the house?  Yes.  What if it was someone else's child?  No, they don't sell the house.  What if it was 95 year old Grandma?  No, they don't sell the house.  If this pandemic, which has been treated as money-no-object in domestic terms at least, had killed 100,000 children instead of 100,000 people over 80, then I dare say it would have had even more stuff thrown at it.

Yep, don't disagree there, same with the meat of the post here.

It's natural. It is also, long term, leading to only one logical outcome.

And speaking personally, I'd rather like humanity to be the complex species that was able to buck the trend of not being that fvcking stupid.

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well we've a potential man made disaster waiting to occur in Ukraine right now. Covid is providing the perfect smokescreen.

Which will in all likelihood have a lesser human and financial cost than Covid, even if the entirety of that nation is reduced to ruins.

I don't disagree that we need to get better at not picking fights with each other for stupid reasons, but honestly, short of a global nuclear exchange there is nothing humanity can do in terms of short term disaster that rivals what the Earth can do.

Slightly longer term might be a different matter, though - we're certainly pushing buttons regarding global average temperature increase that will become very unpleasant sometime not far away.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

“I’m alWAYS right Jack” is sadly another popular sentiment, if this thread pushing 1200 pages us anything to go by! 

Also true, but unfortunately the ones that comment applies to are incredibly likely to have read that thinking it's about those who've been patiently trying to explain the same fairly basic concepts to them for these 1200-odd pages.

57 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Actually mad how low the deaths are compared to the cases. 

Also, to lighten the mood, how many cases should we be on by now according to the "it'll double every other day" nonsense? lol

Half as many as tomorrow? I'm no good at maths.

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

FYI @Babylon. Just created another covid account and ordered another box of 7 tests. But hey there’s ‘hardly any tests available’ 

welcome to this box if you want it!! 

B59F4C46-F49B-4375-A3BB-F472099B4469.png

Babylon is right

There aren’t many tests available at all and it is a problem