Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

25 minutes ago, kenny said:

Excess deaths is the only relevant measure really.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

This gives a list country by country of how they have fared during the pandemic.

Excess deaths will also include all deaths for any reason not just Covid, although Covid will be the main contributor. 

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Excess deaths will also include all deaths for any reason not just Covid, although Covid will be the main contributor. 

Exactly including the deaths caused by lockdown or the lack of health provision for other ailments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kenny said:

Exactly including the deaths caused by lockdown or the lack of health provision for other ailments.

Of course. The millions of cancelled appointments and operations isn't cost free.

The side deaths are still due to Covid regardless.

My stepson died because of the impact of Covid. All the  services were withdrawn that would have helped him because of Covid. I'd say he'd still be alive if covid hadn't happened but it did and to quibble over this is to diminish the deaths of each and every one of those people.

It's fkn heartless 

Pe

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

26 minutes ago, brucey said:

Doesn’t really make sense 

I don’t  know when I will have symptoms 

and do I have to wait for a test to arrive as I can’t order one till I have symptoms ?

so everyone who has a cold or a scratchy throat or a cough or a high temp will have to isolate for at least one day until their LFT arrives 

who is going to run the country and offer essential services ??? We all know someone at work who seems to have a cold every few weeks ……these people will get an extra two weeks off work every year! 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Doesn’t really make sense 

I don’t  know when I will have symptoms 

and do I have to wait for a test to arrive as I can’t order one till I have symptoms ?

so everyone who has a cold or a scratchy throat or a cough or a high temp will have to isolate for at least one day until their LFT arrives 

who is going to run the country and offer essential services ??? We all know someone at work who seems to have a cold every few weeks ……these people will get an extra two weeks off work every year! 

I presume the tests will still be available, just that they'll start charging for them.. eg. buy a box online from the government website or from the local pharmacy to keep at home. 

I find it odd that someone would actively look to purchase these kits.  There's people out there that won't want this to end though, the gravy train is in full flow.  As soon as this comes in though, mass testing will end in England, which is well overdue.

Meanwhile, in Wales, harsher restrictions are ineffective.  Must be the Welsh not following the rules and using the incorrect masks...:rolleyes:

FImfzbdWYAEyIYz.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I find it odd that someone would actively look to purchase these kits.  There's people out there that won't want this to end though, the gravy train is in full flow.  As soon as this comes in though, mass testing will end in England, which is well overdue.

Meanwhile, in Wales, harsher restrictions are ineffective.  Must be the Welsh not following the rules and using the incorrect masks...:rolleyes:

FImfzbdWYAEyIYz.jpeg.jpg

I don’t. As much as I think at some point, yes they have to stop being a free item, people who want to visit vulnerable persons need them. 

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t. As much as I think at some point, yes they have to stop being a free item, people who want to visit vulnerable persons need them. 

This isn't a snarky comment about the vaccine, but it shows what a mess we're in when a vaccinated person who wants to visit another vaccinated person feels the need to test to find out whether they have the thing they're both vaccinated against.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shade said:

This isn't a snarky comment about the vaccine, but it shows what a mess we're in when a vaccinated person who wants to visit another vaccinated person feels the need to test to find out whether they have the thing they're both vaccinated against.

Wouldn’t call it a mess at all on that score. The elderly and vulnerable people have always been those this causes the most consequence too. Pretty much in the same where the flu does. For example before covid, if you had flu symptoms you were asked not to attend care homes and equally if the care home had an outbreak, asked not to attend. I’ve worked in hospitals where some wards have nasty norovirus outbreaks and they are a no go for the public. 

It’s undeniable that the vaccination has made this for the majority of people treatable from home. But why would you take the risk if it was your elderly parent or grandparent when in five to ten days time you’ll be recovered?

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Had my pcr test on 4th January(result back positive the following day), does Day 1 start on date of test or the following day, regarding isolation & taking lateral flow tests on days 6 & 7? 
Not sure if day 6 is today or tomorrow ?!

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Filbert_Ross

26 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Had my pcr test on 4th January(result back positive the following day), does Day 1 start on date of test or the following day, regarding isolation & taking lateral flow tests on days 6 & 7? 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Day 1 is 1st day of positive test, I think.

Or was it 1st day of symptoms?

I think I did mine as 1st day of symptoms (ie the day I did the test as in theory you should have isolated straight after)

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

FImfzbdWYAEyIYz.jpeg.jpg

Sigh… last time I’ll say this. Wales have had a lot of days where they didn’t report data. Which all got pumped into the following weeks data, causing a massive spike.

Attempting to use that as a way of trying to make out the restrictions aren’t working, in fact making it worse. Is such utter bullshit. 

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone with Omicron actually felt bad? I had a sore throat for one day and that’s it. Wouldn’t know I was ill or had anything if I hadn’t have tested. 

Nothing other than snotty nose. Only reason i went for a pcr cus didn't have any lateral flows & everyone I was with over new year was testing positive. 

This just feels like they're trying to forcibly end it. You can't force things like this, though. 

Especially with NI rises and higher energy bills. If I'm a worker who needs to be out, on a minimum wage job, and feel ill - can I afford to spend an hour's wage on a test? Which will then tell me to isolate and I won't have any financial support?

If you're going to charge for tests then I think you need to get a refund if it's positive and to make sure you get SOME form of compensation if you have to stay home.

26 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone with Omicron actually felt bad? I had a sore throat for one day and that’s it. Wouldn’t know I was ill or had anything if I hadn’t have tested. 

Felt like shit, but I've no idea of knowing what variant I had (positive end of last year) even if Omicron is the most likely. Was the classic headache, relentless cough and breathlessness. 

23 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This just feels like they're trying to forcibly end it. You can't force things like this, though. 

Especially with NI rises and higher energy bills. If I'm a worker who needs to be out, on a minimum wage job, and feel ill - can I afford to spend an hour's wage on a test? Which will then tell me to isolate and I won't have any financial support?

If you're going to charge for tests then I think you need to get a refund if it's positive and to make sure you get SOME form of compensation if you have to stay home.

But then screws over anyone who has to do a test to go into work. I require one every 72hrs to be allowed on site, I use laterals currently, PCRs are an option but then any issue during the process could see me be unable to work

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

But then screws over anyone who has to do a test to go into work. I require one every 72hrs to be allowed on site, I use laterals currently, PCRs are an option but then any issue during the process could see me be unable to work

I’d imagine if they are no longer free/recommended places will no longer require them or will cover the cost 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Sigh… last time I’ll say this. Wales have had a lot of days where they didn’t report data. Which all got pumped into the following weeks data, causing a massive spike.

Attempting to use that as a way of trying to make out the restrictions aren’t working, in fact making it worse. Is such utter bullshit. 

And their wave is behind England’s …….

3 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Day 1 is 1st day of positive test, I think.

Or was it 1st day of symptoms?

I think I did mine as 1st day of symptoms (ie the day I did the test as in theory you should have isolated straight after)

I’d go with symptoms 

that’s when you would definitely have been infectious and actually you were so a day or so before this point